Side stand problems and questions. - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
Turbojetboy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Side stand problems and questions.

I have read many posts regarding the problematic bushings for the side stand. I inspected mine and found they are both cracked and badly worn. This partially explains why my stand would actually fold up if the bike was parked down hill and not in gear ( i had to be very carefull when parking, but never let it go over). The other problem was that the locking tab on the stand was worn down, so I very carefully welded it back into perfect rectangular shape. So now even with worn bushings the stand barely moves back and now firmly locks in place.
I have attached a picture showing the bushing location as they where on the bike, first question - are the bushes in the correct location? (Top one sitting on top of upper stand frame and lower one sitting on top of lower stand frame) and second question, does anyone have the part number for these crappy bushings? Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	412810  
Turbojetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Looks about right to me but the top one should be flush with the frame mount. A better picture with the shifter rod removed would be more helpful.
Both bushings drop in from the top with the pin going through the top one through the frame member through the lever and then through the bottom bushing and then the frame member.
Keep them well greased.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
RONVROD
My Last Ride

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojetboy View Post
I have read many posts regarding the problematic bushings for the side stand. I inspected mine and found they are both cracked and badly worn. This partially explains why my stand would actually fold up if the bike was parked down hill and not in gear ( i had to be very carefull when parking, but never let it go over). The other problem was that the locking tab on the stand was worn down, so I very carefully welded it back into perfect rectangular shape. So now even with worn bushings the stand barely moves back and now firmly locks in place.
I have attached a picture showing the bushing location as they where on the bike, first question - are the bushes in the correct location? (Top one sitting on top of upper stand frame and lower one sitting on top of lower stand frame) and second question, does anyone have the part number for these crappy bushings? Cheers.
Turbojetboy,

My V-Rod only had 4000 miles on it when I purchased it and the jiffy stand made me nervous at first. It never folded up but, it sure went far enough to concern me.

Here is the part number for the bushings:

53158-98 BUSHING, JIFFY STAND

Ron
RONVROD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
jacobyvic
Vic Jacoby

Every now and then I look at my locking tab and worry...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jiffy2015.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	412874  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jacobyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
RONVROD
My Last Ride

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyvic View Post
Every now and then I look at my locking tab and worry...
jacobyvic,

You guys and your pictures really have me scared now. That looks like some more Milwaukee engineering went bad. I will have to visit the jiffy stand if I ever need to use it again.

Ron
RONVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:23 AM   #6
izcain
Registered Full

Side stand problems and questions.

Good time to send the stand out to be chromed when I install new bushings.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:47 AM   #7
Turbojetboy
Registered Full

I put in new bushings today, so with my tightly welded lock tab and the new bushings the stand is very secure now. It positively locks in now with very little freeplay, no more worrys about it folding in. Also as a bonus when retracted it now butts up to the rubber stopper rather than banging on the frame below the stopper.
I suspect the same engineer for the stand was also in charge of head stem bearings, rear brake light switch and airbox vent can design - he must have been a tractor engineer.
Turbojetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Those bushings should be on a regular 5K maintenance schedule. I keep a set in my parts cabinet and clean & grease the existing ones up every 5K miles. I have only had to replace them a couple of times in 140,000 miles. You don't want them to go bad as frame damage can occur if they do.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 03-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
Those bushings should be on a regular 5K maintenance schedule. I keep a set in my parts cabinet and clean & grease the existing ones up every 5K miles. I have only had to replace them a couple of times in 140,000 miles. You don't want them to go bad as frame damage can occur if they do.
WTF? You change kickstand bushings at each oil change? LOL
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
WTF? You change kickstand bushings at each oil change? LOL
Ron
No. I clean them out and grease them up real good every service interval. Only had to replace them a couple of times in 145,000 miles.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 AM   #11
Jimmym
Registered Full

Side Stand - fold operation

I have just purchased a vrod 2002 & I failed to register it at the test centre because when the officer lifted the Motorcycle off the side stand, he expected it to fold up without any help from his left foot. I argued that it needs a little touch from your foot for this to happen as the spring is basically straight in line with the outstretched arm. Is this correct.?
Jimmym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmym View Post
I have just purchased a vrod 2002 & I failed to register it at the test centre because when the officer lifted the Motorcycle off the side stand, he expected it to fold up without any help from his left foot. I argued that it needs a little touch from your foot for this to happen as the spring is basically straight in line with the outstretched arm. Is this correct.?
I don't know of any side stands that retract automatically. That would be stupid. I think the officer needs a new line of work based on his lack of basic knowledge. As for the stand itself, keep all the pin and bushings in good shape and regular grease and it will serve you well. Gentle use helps too as it's not the most robust unit ever designed. The R model v rod has a more robust , conventional design of the bunch.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #13
JJrod
Registered Full

The Jiffy stand cannot retract when the bike is lifted "automatically". Sounds like the officer needs a basic course in physics. The jiffy stand when extended goes slightly over center, so that the spring tension wants to move the jiffy stand forward in order to keep the stand in place. The purpose of that is you can put the stand down without it retracting before you can rest the bike on the stand. :SMH:
So realistically if your Jiffy Stand retracts as soon as you lift your bike, their is something wrong. Either the bushing and pin are worn out. Or it went with worn out bushings for so long it wore the frame mount out. That is the only time I have seen a self retracting stand.

I remember several Jap bikes that had a 3/4 inch thick rubber strip (more like tire material) about 1-2 inches wide and about 3-4 inches long that was part of the kickstand arm from the factory and extended at the bottom of the arm. The purpose of that was if the rider would for some reason forget to put his stand up, the first slight left turn would hit the flexible rubber at the end of the kick stand arm and kick the arm back past over center and retract, which reduced the risk if the rider going down for something stupid. Through the years, I have seen several riders forget the jiffy stand... Especially at bars or newbies getting over excited on their first group ride .

The Newer bikes don't have "Automatic" kick stands either. That is the reason for the kickstand and clutch switch.
The first generation just had a kickstand switch for either a "Idiot Light" in the instrument cluster, or would kill the engine when put in gear with the kick stand down, regardless whether the clutch is pulled or not the engine would die.

The latest is the same as above only with a Clutch Switch added. This allowed you to put the bike in gear with the kick stand down, clutch lever pulled back and be able to be running until the rider starts to release the clutch.

Different Bikes use different systems and switches but never saw a Automatic stand on a everyday motorcycle.
Maybe he is confused with the Police Harley with the ride off front upright stand option?
JJrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
Jimmym
Registered Full

Thanks Rbabos & JJrod for your swift replies. I thought as much. I'm left wondering if it was a case of ' lost in translation ' . I moved to Spain & employed a driver with Van to move my bike to & from the ITV centre since it was a bike coming in from outside the E.U, I had no registration plate ( Dubai ). The drivers English / Spanish translation was a bit suspect as he was Romanian so perhaps it was something else. I also had a problem with the Exhaust Db level reading so will have to correct before returning anyway.
Jimmym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement