Another idle and stall bike! - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #16
JJrod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgun View Post

Here's a video of the tach with bike in neutral (you have to replace the [dot]s with dots):
www[dot]dropbox[dot]com/s/2zlynx3uffxp203/IMG_5907.MOV?dl=0

Sam
Link it for ya
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zlynx3uff..._5907.MOV?dl=0

Did you check the Vacuum plugs on the inside of the throttle body to see if the are there?
They do dry out and a lean sneeze can blow them off.
I replaced mine with the vinyl style caps.
2005 models also has a problem with sock filters collapsing.
Have you performed a fuel pressure check?
JJrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #17
JJrod
Registered Full

deleted

Last edited by JJrod; 06-27-2019 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Deleted multiple post
Old 06-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #18
JJrod
Registered Full

deleted

Last edited by JJrod; 06-27-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Deleted multiple post

Old 06-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #19
Dawgun
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJrod View Post
Link it for ya
Thanks!
Quote:
Did you check the Vacuum plugs on the inside of the throttle body to see if the are there?
They do dry out and a lean sneeze can blow them off.
I replaced mine with the vinyl style caps.
2005 models also has a problem with sock filters collapsing.
Have you performed a fuel pressure check?
Vacuum plugs, sock filters and pressure checks, oh my!
No, haven't done those - don't even know what they are....

I'll look into the vacuum plugs Wednesday.
And I'll search a bit about the sock filters and how to do a fuel pressure test.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #20
Dawgun
Registered Full

[QUOTE=JJrod;4742461]
Did you check the Vacuum plugs on the inside of the throttle body to see if the are there?/QUOTE]

Hey JJ, I looked through the service manual this morning for the vacuum plugs and couldn't find anything. Can you give me a tip on where to find them?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #21
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
[quote=Dawgun;4742617]
Quote:
Did you check the Vacuum plugs on the inside of the throttle body to see if the are there?/QUOTE]

Hey JJ, I looked through the service manual this morning for the vacuum plugs and couldn't find anything. Can you give me a tip on where to find them?
There are none on the vrod tb. Big twins had one. There are vacuum ports on the intake plenums, right side with plugs that were used for tb syncing in that year. They were eliminated in later years.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #22
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
There is a vacuum port on the v rod throttle body below the rear stack.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #23
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgavilan View Post
There is a vacuum port on the v rod throttle body below the rear stack.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yes, you are correct. I was thinking of another model bike. Likely for some Cali evap shit in this case. I doubt even if this cap fell off it would cause the stall issue . The IAC port will balance both sides up to close to 2k before running out of authority. If the leak was huge he IAC wouldn't be able to control idle rpm and front and rear balance of air and rpm would be higher then normal. Non the less, it should be checked and rule it out as you say.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle body port.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	532955  
Old 06-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #24
Dawgun
Registered Full

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for that pic! I'll check for it later today.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #25
darendt
Flat Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0jekt View Post
The website mentions you have to tune out the knock sensing when using those coils, is that required?
You just have to turn it off. I did not get a code when I fired it up without turning it off though.
Power Vision with Target Tune
Ceramic wheel bearings
Poly Cush Drive
Fueling 9947 Injectors
Energy Coils
darendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #26
darendt
Flat Broke

Update on my issue...

Installed new Energy Coils and had an issue with them popping off the Plugs as well as the Brisk Plugs not working under hard load. Old Iridium plugs worked however Coils still popped off. Energy Coil sent Spark Plug caps to eliminate the coil popping off however I still made myself some Coil Straps.

New Coils and new Fuel Filter along with new E3 Plugs did not resolve my issue. I set 1000-1500 AFR to 14.6 and ran a couple autotune sessions, no change. All round straps are fine as well.

My particular issue is only when starting. Upon first start after sitting for for 10 min or so it will start right up and then die about 10-20 seconds later. If I start and give it throttle it will still try and die but will not and then it is good to go from there.

Very irritating to say the least. Even when it starts it idles fine right up till the point it dies. I ran some Fuel injector cleaner through after changing the filter as well, no change. The only thing that seems to do anything is clearing the adaptive. That only works for that start though and not every time.
Ceramic wheel bearings
Poly Cush Drive
Fueling 9947 Injectors
Energy Coils
Old 06-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #27
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by darendt View Post
Update on my issue...

Installed new Energy Coils and had an issue with them popping off the Plugs as well as the Brisk Plugs not working under hard load. Old Iridium plugs worked however Coils still popped off. Energy Coil sent Spark Plug caps to eliminate the coil popping off however I still made myself some Coil Straps.

New Coils and new Fuel Filter along with new E3 Plugs did not resolve my issue. I set 1000-1500 AFR to 14.6 and ran a couple autotune sessions, no change. All round straps are fine as well.

My particular issue is only when starting. Upon first start after sitting for for 10 min or so it will start right up and then die about 10-20 seconds later. If I start and give it throttle it will still try and die but will not and then it is good to go from there.

Very irritating to say the least. Even when it starts it idles fine right up till the point it dies. I ran some Fuel injector cleaner through after changing the filter as well, no change. The only thing that seems to do anything is clearing the adaptive. That only works for that start though and not every time.
Setting the afr table just flips the switch for closed loop, not an actual 14.6 afr. What are you clbs set to at idle-1500? This is where your afr will be targeted or base off of when new ve's are generated from a couple of auto tune run. As you know any afr cell in the table not set to 14.6 will not auto tune. Your condition sounds like it's running on the warmup table for the extra fuel. Once it times out the afr from the ve isn't enough. As the engine heats up, it requires less fuel and it will have just enough to keep running after the warmup table is timed out.
Ron
Old 06-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #28
darendt
Flat Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Setting the afr table just flips the switch for closed loop, not an actual 14.6 afr. What are you clbs set to at idle-1500? This is where your afr will be targeted or base off of when new ve's are generated from a couple of auto tune run. As you know any afr cell in the table not set to 14.6 will not auto tune. Your condition sounds like it's running on the warmup table for the extra fuel. Once it times out the afr from the ve isn't enough. As the engine heats up, it requires less fuel and it will have just enough to keep running after the warmup table is timed out.
Ron
The Closed loop bias settings are all set to 700 via FuelMoto. I am running Target Tune which is supposed to run the entire map closed loop regardless of the 14.6 setting.
Ceramic wheel bearings
Poly Cush Drive
Fueling 9947 Injectors
Energy Coils
Old 06-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #29
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by darendt View Post
The Closed loop bias settings are all set to 700 via FuelMoto. I am running Target Tune which is supposed to run the entire map closed loop regardless of the 14.6 setting.
Ok, forgot you have TT. Clbs do not work with Wideband sensors in TT. You can change the and save but they do nothing in this case. They only work in a none enabled TT cal or one of the other standard call for Narrow band sensors. Modify your idle area afrs. Note in the log what kpa the idle is and target that area. So, what's the idle afr set to currently in the TT base cal ?

Ron
Old 06-27-2019, 04:46 PM   #30
darendt
Flat Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Ok, forgot you have TT. Clbs do not work with Wideband sensors in TT. You can change the and save but they do nothing in this case. They only work in a none enabled TT cal or one of the other standard call for Narrow band sensors. Modify your idle area afrs. Note in the log what kpa the idle is and target that area. So, what's the idle afr set to currently in the TT base cal ?

Ron
I have 1200-2000 set to 14.6 in the 10KPa field. At the 15KPa area it is 13.9, 13.9 and 13.6 respectively.
Ceramic wheel bearings
Poly Cush Drive
Fueling 9947 Injectors
Energy Coils
Sponsored Links
Advertisement