Fuel mileage - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #16
flyday58
Earthbound for good.

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodracer View Post
With spirited riding I get 34-35, 33-34 with wifey on back 36-38 hwy if not spanking it. I usually fuel up at 120 miles, I've burned 3.5 gallons so close to 1.5 gallons still in tank HOWEVER the fuel guage needle is in the lower red and looks like it's empty but it's not. If your engine runs rough in the 3000 - 4000 range that's cruising rpms and that's whats killing your mileage. You're right you may have to change tuners to clear that out if I guessed I'd say it's pig fat in that area. Call TAB those guys are great I had a set of slash cut baffled and they helped me out - I've got a Dobeck style controller and tuned it out myself.
I'm getting a similar burn. After 100 miles of mountain twisties and 4-lane Highway Thru Hell-type blacktop (Highway 70, Ruidoso to Tularosa) the needle is pretty low, but takes a little over 3 gallons to top up the tank. D&D 2 into 1 pipes and a tune for it, otherwise stock.
1974 GT80A
1976 GL1000 LTD
flyday58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #17
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

In related news 7 dead up in rural New Hampshire out on a ride from Laconia Bike Week - a group of bikers tangled it up with a Dodge pickup on a two lane - truck even caught fire. Like Ron said there's FEWER idiots out in the country - unfortunately there are still enough even way out there to kill us. Be careful out there guys don't take unnecessary chances - it just might be your life. And sometimes shit just happens. Just don't let it happen.
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #18
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
In related news 7 dead up in rural New Hampshire out on a ride from Laconia Bike Week - a group of bikers tangled it up with a Dodge pickup on a two lane - truck even caught fire. Like Ron said there's FEWER idiots out in the country - unfortunately there are still enough even way out there to kill us. Be careful out there guys don't take unnecessary chances - it just might be your life. And sometimes shit just happens. Just don't let it happen.
Just looked at the pics. What a mess with bikes strewn all over the road. Truck even caught fire. Sad for sure.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #19
KeystoneMedical
Registered Full

Im anywhere between 85 to 95 on a tank depending how hard I hammer it. I have a Fuel Moto controller on it and had them lean it out some to cut back on the fuel. I also raised the air pressure some. Lousy mileage is nature of the beast with these things, Its the only drawback that I can find about the bike. Last couple years I say to myself I need to go newer to get the bigger fuel tank but, I never do it.
KeystoneMedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:29 AM   #20
john928
Registered Full

Bike and city- no way. Especially since the city to me is NYC
My V65 has a set of supper traps and a dial a jet kit on it. I think its around 120-125hp. Riding position is completely different than the Sports rod. It accelerates without effort and very smooth. Definitely faster than the HD
Old 06-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #21
mbrownin
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
V65 had two ratings. 116 at 7500 and 100 at the rear wheel at 9500 rpm. I got to ride one back in the day and it would move. Damn impressive bike it was for the day and durable. Like you, I hate the city any more. Give me a back road two lane any day in the country side. Not totally idiot proof but less of them out there.
Ron
I seem to remember a V65 commercial back in the day showing it do a 1/4 mile in like 10.2.
mbrownin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #22
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Go a little slower - look and sound a lot better and still get 32 Mpg ! SOLD !

There's no doubt the V65 was (and still is) a cool, competent Japanese bike but IMHO it's just not in the same category as a V Rod - it doesn't have half the visual beauty and appeal or the even the addictive aural sounds coming out of a properly exhaust piped Revolution engine. I don't care if my R is a second slower in the quarter it's plenty quick and fast so the true test is when you ride into or when you hit the starter in a loaded parking lot at Ace Cafe on bike night ( like I did last night ) and lots of guys look to see what it is and approve with a few admiring questions and a thumbs up when you ride out.
108 at the real wheel now with a kinda rich tune ain't bad and with a few mods 130 - just got 32 Mpg two up mostly, running pretty hard. 3.8 gal in 121 miles, leaving 1.2 gallons in the tank needle reading 1/2 way down in the red. Win-Win
Old 06-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #23
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
There's no doubt the V65 was (and still is) a cool, competent Japanese bike but IMHO it's just not in the same category as a V Rod - it doesn't have half the visual beauty and appeal or the even the addictive aural sounds coming out of a properly exhaust piped Revolution engine. I don't care if my R is a second slower in the quarter it's plenty quick and fast so the true test is when you ride into or when you hit the starter in a loaded parking lot at Ace Cafe on bike night ( like I did last night ) and lots of guys look to see what it is and approve with a few admiring questions and a thumbs up when you ride out.
108 at the real wheel now with a kinda rich tune ain't bad and with a few mods 130 - just got 32 Mpg two up mostly, running pretty hard. 3.8 gal in 121 miles, leaving 1.2 gallons in the tank needle reading 1/2 way down in the red. Win-Win

Oh I don't know about that... a friend had one of these : V65 Sabre.

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

H-D Heathen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:37 PM   #24
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

UJM's just ain't the same as a V Rod, for better or worse.

Good looking bike, H-D Heathen ! I lusted after that very bike but ordered an '83 VRF750 Interceptor that was the leading edge back then but I saw a bike up under a pickup after I ordered it and instead got another race bike, a water cooled CR250R and raced for a few more years on Honda's. All I can say is you meet the nicest people on a Honda. I've got a 3 cylinder Triumph when I want to be nice, quiet and practical. I ride my R when I want to be in charge of a beast that looks and sounds like a beast. Might not go too much faster, but it sure feels like it and chicks really dig it and will ride on it a lot more more than a Honda. There is a mystic quality with H-D and the V Rod in particular that just can't be denied. We all know it - nothing wrong with any Japanese bike ( I've got 4 Yamaha's - 3 dirt bikes and one O/B motor ) but there's nothing like hitting the starter on a V Rod and climbing on - it's a unique and special kind of bike experience ( with Japanese pieces as well ) but Honda's and all UJM's just ain't in the same category - for better or for worse.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #25
KTXdm9
Registered Full

I usually get low 30s with a combo of city and highway driving. This is on a stock 2010 F with plenty of spirited acceleration.
KTXdm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #26
Danodemotoman4$
Danodemotoman

I avg about 40mpg on my -6 R. All stock. I don't hammer it just that is my riding style. I love the bike!
I still have the 85 V65 Sabre. I was scary fast in the day and much too powerful for the tire technology. Sheesh, rear tire stock was 130 width. LOL. I run radial tires on it one size wider than stock. It corners much better with radials. Limited cornering compared to more modern bikes but still fun tho the stock suspension can be punishing on rough roads.
Danodemotoman4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement