Dropped bike and handlebar hit the airbox cover - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
ChuteRequired
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dropped bike and handlebar hit the airbox cover

Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a used 04 that is imacculate except that it was dropped and the bars hit the airbox cover pretty hard. They said the loosened up the front end and straightened the bars and that it drives fine. Only visible damage is the dent in the airbox cover, scrapes on the top of the cluch resevoir cover, and a small rip in the seat.

Can anyone tell me what I should look for and if I should just walk away? The price is right!

Pics Attached.

Thanks a bunch! I bought one of the first VRods in the state way back when and am excited to get back into one.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58902343_2561081963936010_4802838447083487232_n.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	532901   Click image for larger version

Name:	59339666_2561082010602672_1996960179739951104_n.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	532903   Click image for larger version

Name:	57277840_2561082003936006_6564039114507681792_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	532905  
ChuteRequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteRequired View Post
Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a used 04 that is imacculate except that it was dropped and the bars hit the airbox cover pretty hard. They said the loosened up the front end and straightened the bars and that it drives fine. Only visible damage is the dent in the airbox cover, scrapes on the top of the cluch resevoir cover, and a small rip in the seat.

Can anyone tell me what I should look for and if I should just walk away? The price is right!

Pics Attached.

Thanks a bunch! I bought one of the first VRods in the state way back when and am excited to get back into one.

Mike
Look at the stub the footpeg is mounted to, as in folded back. These tend to bend unless it has a crash bar. There are replacement down tubes or if not bad it can be straightened and rewelded if needed. New tube is $300 plus.
Ron
rbabos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
mike_w
"Vrod King"

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Check and make sure the triple tree for holding the fork tubes is straight and not twisted.

You know they are just like potato chips, you can't have just one.
mike_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
Johnniecup
Registered Full

In the middle of repairing this problem at the moment. If the frame rail that the foot peg is attached, is damaged just replace it, especially the right side with foot brake. I wouldn’t weld it,just replace it.
Johnniecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
stevemcgov
Registered Full

I 2nd this:
"Check and make sure the triple tree for holding the fork tubes is straight and not twisted."
You take alot of right turns? I kid.....

You test ride it? check the tire pressure 1st..lol
Price is right? How much then?
04 vrscA ? Miles? Stock?

Glad i got powder coated black harley engine guard on mine, it was 300 - i installed it.
It don't look too bad.
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
ozzie21
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteRequired View Post
Hello,

Pics Attached.

Mike
Gonna be hard to find a replacement for that airbox cover. Nice color and looks like one-off or custom H-D limited paint set.
ozzie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I had a dent in my air box cover when, in a accident, the handle bars twisted to the right a bit to much and dented the air box.
'
I found a person that was able to repair the dent and repaint it by hand.
Bike was a 2007 VRSCX with Vance&Hines racing stripes on it.
'
Can't tell it was ever dented or repainted.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
bigbubba78
Registered Full

Find someone with an English wheel. They should be able to work that dent out without filler. Then have it painted
bigbubba78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubba78 View Post
Find someone with an English wheel. They should be able to work that dent out without filler. Then have it painted
Tank is double skinned.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
Mromaus
Registered Full

I purchased my bike in similar condition about 4 years ago.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3e...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3e...ew?usp=sharing

I don't know where you are but I repaired the bike using eBay and Amazon. Some stuff came from Revzilla and Ronnie's HD is useful. I also was lucky to find a company called KST customs here in Georgia USA that has handle bars at a reasonable price.

Deal killers that from your description I doubt are a problem:

A leaking fork tube, if the forks were tweaked then the gasket may not hold a seal any longer.
A transmission that does not shift through all 5 gears.
A tweaked rear sprocket.
Like mentioned above a tweaked triple tree.
Also like mentioned above, a bent foot peg mount can be replaced by replacing the frame rail but its pricey. I was lucky to find one for $260 and replaced it myself.

Last thing I will mention that may be helpful if you are still deciding.

My bike is an '06 Night Rod I purchased it with around 8k miles for about $3000.

Maybe that gives you a reference point for your purchase.

Good luck!
Mromaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement