Headers glowing red with new maps - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD EFI > PowerCommander (All Versions)
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
HM08vrscdx

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headers glowing red with new maps

I recently loaded a couple new maps to try and increase my MPG on my DX.The map I had loaded before was only getting around 26-30mpg and that's all freeway miles.( this is the old map - 05 CVO 1250 CFR + K&n.djm )The new maps run great but I noticed when on the freeway at 4k-5k rmp's my headers are glowing red especially the front pipe but don't get hot in town at lower rpm's.These are the maps I was trying - Jeff.VROD.08.djm & 08 CFR,K&N,STOCK ECM SPAZ.djm. I have an 08 1250 DX with CFR,K&N,stock ECM,topless with air box mod. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
HM08vrscdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
Chillichugger
Get a brain! Morans

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think theres some differences between the CVO 1250s and the new standard 1250s and I dont think they are compatible w/maps... that may account for your glowing headers because your bike must be way too lean.

Depending on a bunch of factors, 26-30 mpg is normal for these bikes.

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.

If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Chillichugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Malcomx
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The CVO map should be getting you the best mileage, but I don't think I'd run it on my 08 bike. The other two are pretty rich maps and will eat a bit of fuel.
I went through the glowing head pipe thing with my 08 D. My problem was the winter fuel we get here in CA, it's junk. I lowered the AFR in the entire cruise range and that pretty much solved the problem.
Malcomx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
$uicide $hift
Kickstart My Heart!!

Garage
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
If you can find a qualified tuner in your area I would suggest getting the bike dyno tuned properly. When a tuner says the pipe is at fault for decel popping due to it having no baffle or enough back pressure find a new tuner.

Many services say they can tune a bike but you will find it is an art in most cases.

Find a person that knows WTF they are doing to tune the bike the way you want it and tune it properly. Every bike is going to be slightly different. You can get maps from one bike and it will not run optimal in your bike.

On a side note I still find it funny when people want to tune for gas mileage. If gas mileage is something you are concerned about you should be riding a different bike. This bike is not made for gas mileage.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You have three choices:

I) Tune it properly, either by buying the tools yourself or giving it to an expert.
2) Download a conservative map and use a load of fuel.
3) Download a lean map and damage it.

Glowing pipes would suggest you are doing 3.

I would go back to the old map for now and decide if the fuel you will save justifies buying kit or giving it to a tuner...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
HM08vrscdx

Sorry wasn't clear about which maps were making headers glow red.The two new maps are the map getting the exhaust hot.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
HM08vrscdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
If you can find a qualified tuner in your area I would suggest getting the bike dyno tuned properly. When a tuner says the pipe is at fault for decel popping due to it having no baffle or enough back pressure find a new tuner.

Many services say they can tune a bike but you will find it is an art in most cases.

Find a person that knows WTF they are doing to tune the bike the way you want it and tune it properly. Every bike is going to be slightly different. You can get maps from one bike and it will not run optimal in your bike.

On a side note I still find it funny when people want to tune for gas mileage. If gas mileage is something you are concerned about you should be riding a different bike. This bike is not made for gas mileage.
I know this bike isn't meant to be ridden for MPG its just that my mileage is about half that of a stock bikes freeway MPG and didn't know if that was normal.I thought it was running rich since when riding at night on the freeway I would let off the gas and the exhaust would decel pop and shoot out a blue flame.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
HM08vrscdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcomx View Post
The CVO map should be getting you the best mileage, but I don't think I'd run it on my 08 bike. The other two are pretty rich maps and will eat a bit of fuel.
I went through the glowing head pipe thing with my 08 D. My problem was the winter fuel we get here in CA, it's junk. I lowered the AFR in the entire cruise range and that pretty much solved the problem.

Yeah I noticed the two newer maps are richer but they are the maps making the headers glow red. You said you lowered the AFR in the entire cruise range and that pretty much solved the problem.I'm not that familiar with the PCIII software,how did you lower the AFR. hanks
Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Malcomx
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HM08vrscdx View Post
Yeah I noticed the two newer maps are richer but they are the maps making the headers glow red. You said you lowered the AFR in the entire cruise range and that pretty much solved the problem.I'm not that familiar with the PCIII software,how did you lower the AFR. hanks
I just added fuel until it stopped. But if your bike doesn't have glowing pipes with the CVO map, and it does with the two richer maps, that would make me think it's so rich that fuel is burning in the head pipe. You might want to put it on a dyno and see what the heck is going on.
Malcomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement