Do I need a new clutch? Which one should I get if I do? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
ShamanBeast
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do I need a new clutch? Which one should I get if I do?

So, I have had an 07 night rod special for about 6 months it had some issues from the previous owner, but now that I have them fixed I noticed with the power my bike doesn't seem to accelerate consistently from 0-60, it is usually more towards what I feel one would expect when its cooler outside(it feels like it gets the proper acceleration when its cold outside but seems to need more rpm when its hot). So other issues i noticed it loses the acceleration going from about 78-81mph area and gains it back after 1-2 seconds, but only at that speed. Occasionally it will take a little bit for the rpms to go down when I am holding the clutch lever usually when its hot. But the most recent thing I noticed was a sort of POP/crack(very distinct and audible sound even at 80mph) sound from the engine/clutch area at the same 78-81 speeds, it happens when I'm accelerating harder than usual. The POP only happened twice, on my two most recent rides, back to back at that same 78mph area.
ShamanBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
pjoo7
Registered Full

Any after market engine mods exhaust? Because it sounds like fuel mixture mapping issue and detonation. Vrods are a little froggy at low rpm when cold. ? did sellor remove aftermarket exhaust and not remap. A lean situation can lead to greater potential engine damage then too rich.
pjoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:40 PM   #3
ShamanBeast
Registered Full

It has an aftermarket exhaust (2-into-1), I dont know if its custom or commercial and a k&n air filter if those count. I believe it has a tune but im not 100%(there is a bit of a sound that makes me think its struggling for air if I accelerate really hard), the thing with it being cold outside is it feels more consistant on the throttle vs when its "hot"(I always let it warm up until it is at least 160 even in cold temps). I have a dynojet pv i can post some logs tomorrow when I get back tomorrow, I also noticed today the sounds changed to more of a grind or scrape at the 79-81(I also noticed the speedometer doesn't move until it starts to get the physical acceleration back). It is specifically in the 4600-5000ish rpms of 5th gear but once I get past the 81 it picks up like a champ and it only takes a small amount of throttle to go from 81 to 100. Though I also noticed the dynojet pv has the same read as the speedometer until about the 75-80 again and after that it shows 5 under the night rod speedometer. I will try to record both sounds tomorrow for reference.

Thank you for your time and assistance in this matter!

Old 06-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
Russ
Registered Useless

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just a thought ... I believe the '07's still used the old clutch design that were notorious for slipping and wearing out prematurely. You'd definitely notice it when pulling hard, throttling an increase in RPM without increase in speed. And certainly this is affected by temperature.

'08 and later used the new "slipper" clutch which did away with slippage plus allowed the rear wheel to still turn when the motor stalls (whereas the old clutch locked up the wheel). A slipper clutch upgrade has been a very popular on older '02-'07 bikes.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
ShamanBeast
Registered Full

That does fit the unfortunate description, I guess my question at this point would be what clutch should I buy to replace it?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Beer.Tom.Rod
Agave Idiots :)

If your going to replace the clutch, replace it with the HD Slipper Clutch, a worthwhile upgrade. It still sounds like you have a tuning issue though and would look to get that dealt with first. if you have it Dyno 'd and tuned they will tell you right away if you have a clutch problem!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Indian name is..."RUNS WITH BEER"
Beer.Tom.Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Mileage bike? Bleeded clutch/dot4 fluid?

WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
ShamanBeast
Registered Full

I did the 4-5k rpm range in 4th and there was no issues would it still be possible for only 5th gear to have significant tune issues(1-4 aren't signicicant but still seems to rev more than the clutch grabs)? It sounding like its stuggling for air usually only happens on uphills.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
ShamanBeast
Registered Full

It has 20k miles and just bled and refilled still has the issue at 70-80
Old 06-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Post #6, way to go.

WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement