Arnott Air Ride faded color - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
ghostrider91
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arnott Air Ride faded color

I have black Arnott air ride on my 09 DX, had it for 10 years. Now the color of the air ride faded severely. Went from solid black to almost yellow. Has anyone had this problem?? Can it be repainted or powder coated??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8AE404FA-5FE4-4AD3-9EDC-4366B9E95611_1559781501627.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	532737  
ghostrider91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
Smokedog
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
EVERYSINGLE PERSON !!!
( Why do you as customers keep buying these thinking at will not happen to you ??? )
Smokedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
ghostrider91
Registered Full

I didn’t know they would fade like that. Anything can be done??

Old 06-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #4
ozzie21
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What to Do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider91 View Post
I didn’t know they would fade like that. Anything can be done??
Was it all right for the 10 years except for recently? Did you leave the bike outside uncovered in the weather for any length of time?
Since you've had them for 10 years I guess they have been working OK. Any change in function or performance of the shocks? If they have been working OK for 10 years I'd say you've gotten your value out of them and I wouldn't expect any compensation form the original seller.
Take the cover off then shocks and repaint them yourself.
If that doesn't last or looks crappy I'd say disassemble them and get them powdercoated.
ozzie21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:53 PM   #5
ghostrider91
Registered Full

They work fine, no performance issue at all. I just don’t know if I can powder coat them or paint them. I mean I can take them to a shop, but what if they do it and the shocks stop working
Old 06-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
ozzie21
Registered Full

Options.....

Quote:
They work fine, no performance issue at all. I just don’t know if I can powder coat them or paint them. I mean I can take them to a shop, but what if they do it and the shocks stop working
Powdercoating would give the best, most durable and long lasting results. But most (maybe all) powdercoating shops want the items completely disassembled and they clean and bead blast them before powdercoating. Also the parts have either a + or - electrical current applied to them so the powder coating with the opposite charge can be attracted and applies to the part.
The powdercoating oven curing temperature is around 400F so any oils or fluids might give off gasses that could contaminate the powdercoating application and ruin the job.
Also if you have been using these shocks for 10 years and had no issues, any beadblasting and 400F temperatures in a curing oven might cause seals etc., to fail. maybe you can't find replacement parts now. Better check first.

You could paint the parts yourself but this would give the least durable results and not look as good as powdercoating or a professional paint job.

Having a good paint shop do a nice epoxy coating is probably your best option.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
ghostrider91
Registered Full

I have shops that can do the work. The shop I take my bike to every season said they can powder coat the socks for $250 I’m just nervous that powder coating process may mess up the shocks. They said powder coat is my best option. So I wanted a second opinion.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #8
ozzie21
Registered Full

Powdercoating Best Option

Quote:
I have shops that can do the work. The shop I take my bike to every season said they can powder coat the socks for $250 I’m just nervous that powder coating process may mess up the shocks. They said powder coat is my best option. So I wanted a second opinion.
Powdercoating is definitely the best option if you can find a shop that will do the job and not disassemble everything that's even better. But before you commit to letting them do the job I'd recommend checking with the manufacturer of the shocks that all internal parts such as valving, seals and any other plastic and rubber parts are still available just in case after the job is done you have some seals or parts that have failed, especially due to the heat process involved with powdercoating.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #9
ghostrider91
Registered Full

Do you know or have you heard of anyone that’s done that to their Arnott air ride?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 AM   #10
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie21 View Post
Powdercoating is definitely the best option if you can find a shop that will do the job and not disassemble everything that's even better. But before you commit to letting them do the job I'd recommend checking with the manufacturer of the shocks that all internal parts such as valving, seals and any other plastic and rubber parts are still available just in case after the job is done you have some seals or parts that have failed, especially due to the heat process involved with powdercoating.
Impossible to powdercoat them without totally dismantling them. The heat would destroy them. At 10 years old I would be a little weary of taking them to pieces without replacing all the seals. That sort of thing doesn't usually like being disturbed with age, and you will probably have problems. Best bet is very careful preparation and a nice coat of 2 pack paint. If you are not confident enough to paint them yourself I am sure there are plenty of bodyshops around that will shoot a coat of paint on for you.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #11
ozzie21
Registered Full

Powdercoating vs. Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
Impossible to powdercoat them without totally dismantling them. The heat would destroy them. At 10 years old I would be a little weary of taking them to pieces without replacing all the seals. That sort of thing doesn't usually like being disturbed with age, and you will probably have problems. Best bet is very careful preparation and a nice coat of 2 pack paint. If you are not confident enough to paint them yourself I am sure there are plenty of bodyshops around that will shoot a coat of paint on for you.
Agreed.
I was surprised that he said he found a shop that would powdercoat them. Maybe it should be clarified with the shop if they would have to disassemble the shocks. Any powdercoat shop I have dealt with would not powdercoat anything that might have internal parts that could be damaged or that had oil, carbon deposits (previously used exhaust systems) or other parts that can be damaged by the curing oven heat.
As I said in my earlier post, if they were my shocks I'd find a shop that could use a good quality epoxy paint. The epoxy paint is the next best thing in looks, quality and durability to powdercoating. But now these days many places have environmental regulations covering how epoxy paint is applied because epoxy paints are very environmentally and health damaging and special paint booth exhaust systems and personal PPE and breathing apparatus is supposed to be used. Many shops no longer do epoxy coatings because of the PITA of the regulations and added expense. They'll try to steer you to some other types of paints but really the epoxy coatings are the best if you can find a shop to do it. It will probably be a lot more expensive also, even a lot more than powdercoating.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:19 PM   #12
Smokedog
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
This is correct . The airbag and internal parts never make the deconstruction .
Vrodrally.com
Smokedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:34 AM   #13
Knut J
VRSC est -03

The top cover is easy removable, a strap wrench comes handy.
Coupla turns with some masking tape during assembling to cover up the fresh paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Empire-Locking-Strap-Wrench.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	532763  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:09 AM   #14
Lawnmower
Registered Full

I think they look good. Maybe add gold accents to elsewhere on the bike to tie in with the shocks 👍
Lawnmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #15
rbabos
Registered Full

Prep, good quality etching primer and quality automotive paint. Done. There are also some good quality rattle can paints for the task if you choose to do it yourself. Not worth the risk of trashing them with the PC process no to mention the cost for such old shocks. While anodizing will fade over time due to sunlight, these look like they missed the color sealing process completely to fade that much.
Ron
rbabos is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement