shinin coons - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-17-2003, 11:13 AM   #1
ihringert
Ted

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
shinin coons

My headlight moves up after time and my bike turns into a great hunting vehicle for anything in trees at night. I've tightened the screws to the point where they feel like they will strip if I tighten them any further. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'm on my second SS windshield (all new hardware). I installed the first but had the same prob. The last windshield and hardware were installed by the HD shop. I haven't taken the windshield and hardware off to see if this makes a difference however. Another thing I have noticed is it is very hard to set the headlight. It takes a great amount of force to get it into the proper position. It naturally wants to point up. Anyone else have this prob and resolved it?

Ted
ihringert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2003, 01:28 PM   #2
morey000
speeding safely

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation

I didn't have the problem until I added the little headlight visor that comes with the touring windshield. Without the visor, when you put on the Hi beams, it gives this great effect, illuminating the windshied from its edge. A bright fushia red ring around the edge of the frame. Very cool looking, but not great for visibility.

Sorry, no solution yet- other than pushing and tightening.
morey000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 01:36 PM   #3
Daniii
Geezer

I have pushed mine down several times. I have learned to adjust it before I drive at night!. And the visor seems to limit the downwardness. Of course I have mine on backward, so maybe it works better on forward...

Dan

This is as amusing as watching chimps in a zoo, only without having to dodge flung poo. (Coonass)
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2003, 01:45 PM   #4
ihringert
Ted

Umm, sounds like the visor may be the culprit. I have my visor on backwards also. Maybe I'll try flipping the visor around or just leave it off for awhile just to test as long as the visability is OK.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:59 PM   #5
morey000
speeding safely

Lightbulb go visorless

Hell, it's worth the experience to go visorless on a dark road with the Hi beams on. The effect is very cool!

Yeah, it may cut down on your visibility a bit- but riding into a bright fuschia ring of fire is worth it.

try it and report back on your experience.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:04 PM   #6
Daniii
Geezer

I put up with the ring of fire for a while. I like it better with the visor. Went out tonight just to check it. And Christine, the blue high beam indicator is a bit bright.

This is as amusing as watching chimps in a zoo, only without having to dodge flung poo. (Coonass)
Old 11-18-2003, 10:51 PM   #7
AKvrod
Liqwid Rider

Could one of you guys with the visor installed post a close-up pic of it?
AKvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 11:23 PM   #8
V-Fred

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I believe that the HD engineers designed the visor for a specific purpose (or purposes), and hence it should be installed as it was designed... not reversed. Those of you that install it backwards because you (or the Dealer Tech) did not read the directions carefully (I initially made the same error), or think that it how a visor should look, may be defeating that purpose.

It is there to keep the light from reflecting off the inside of the windshields and thereby hindering vision. They probably never even tested its affect on the light pattern reversed. Plus the ends stick out behind the light and look strange to me.

Every time I see one reversed, I think that the stupid Dealer Techs don't know better when they installed it, and the customer having never seen the instructions doesn't even know it is installed incorrectly.

Fred:

:2cents
Old 11-19-2003, 07:24 AM   #9
Daniii
Geezer

There is a pic of mine (reversed) here: http://66.17.131.140/forum/showthread.php?threadid=183

Old 11-19-2003, 09:41 AM   #10
V-Fred

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Daniii: If it does nothing negative to the beam, then it is a matter of taste, and different tastes make for individuallity. I know you value being a "Backward Visor Geezed V-Rodder", and I would not want you thinking I am being a disrespectfull young man:icon_mrgr.

Fred (next oldest on the forum after Daniii)
V-Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:24 PM   #11
WORM
MARK

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have my visor in the correct position and the headlight has never got loose
WORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:58 AM   #12
ihringert
Ted

The visor was the culprit. Flipping it around makes for much easier adjustment and now it doesn't want to point upward (as much). I do like the looks better when put on backwards and this I why I did it the first time. Can't explain why the dealer put it on backwards though. Also, the backwards visor is one a hell of a bug catcher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement