Seized axle - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-21-2003, 06:09 PM   #1
Whitelighter
Vroddin' Madman

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Seized axle

Had my tires replaced this past weekend and the tech said that the rear axle was seized and couldn't be taken out. He was sure that he was going to have to destroy it and likely the bearings to get it out.

He called back and hour later and said after beating it with a sledge for 45 minutes it finally broke loose. He determined it hadn't been greased at the factory and was the cause for the problem.

It drove fine to the shop and rides great still now. Does anyone have any insight as to what this sounds like?? Max??
Whitelighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 06:12 PM   #2
Max
Color me Gone

Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Whitelighter, the rear axle shaft tends to get water in it and the bearings on the rear wheel seize to the axle. It can be a chore to get the two seperated. Make sure to assemble the rear axle with all the anti seize compound you can when you put them together and it will help to avoid this in the future.

Max

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:33 AM   #3
Whitelighter
Vroddin' Madman

What we did was applied a liberal coating white lithium to repel the water. Hopefully that will do the trick. I guess there is no real danger in having the bearings seize to the axle.

Scott Frey
Robins Air Force Base, Georgia
Middle Georgia's Riding Ravens

Old 10-22-2003, 07:40 AM   #4
Max
Color me Gone

Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Whitelighter, no if the brgs seize on the axle it won't hurt you just makes it damn tough to get it apart for tires and other service.

Max

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:47 AM   #5
Bruzer

Whitelighter,

My axle was also locked on the bearings. The shop charged me for the replacement bearings ($40 if I remember correctly) and the labor to get the axle off. I was out of warrentee, but there was nothing I did to cause the problem, like Max wrote, they came that way from the factory.

You are not alone
Bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:44 AM   #6
Whitelighter
Vroddin' Madman

Well, it is nice to know that I have company but not in this case. This is the first issue I have had with the way this bike was put together. I am interested to see what it'll look like when I go to change the tires next time.

Scott Frey
Robins Air Force Base, Georgia
Middle Georgia's Riding Ravens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement