drive belt installation - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-21-2003, 09:39 PM   #1
mjw930
SNAFU

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
drive belt installation

Simple question, does the drive belt have a "direction". I used the bar and shield logo as a guide, putting it on so the logo was in the proper orientation looking at the belt form the side of the bike.

That seemed logical but ever since I installed the 28T I've been getting the notorious belt whine. It comes and goes and I don't see any signs of wear but the belt is all the way on the outside of the pulley (away from the engine) regardless of the tension or alignment of the rear wheel.

I'm thinking about smoothing off the pulley flange with some light sand paper just to make sure it's clean.

I've also noticed that belt tends to stick a little to the pulley at slow speeds when it's hot and you're going real slow (like the 1 hour "cruise" up main st. for Biketoberfest). The best way I can describe it is it feels like a sticking bearing because it sends a shiver through the pegs. I checked it out and it seems the belt sticks a little on the bottom side of the pulley making it twang like a guitar string..... I'm thinking a light coating of graphite on the pulley after I clean it up might be in order. Any thoughts?

BTW, I haven't turned the belt around or tried the old belt so those are other options.

Added Note: I did some searching after the initial post and every shop says the initial installation direction isn't important but subsequent installations of an old belt must be in the same direction. I guess the belt wears a little or takes a set. I guess I answered my own question on direction...........

Mark
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
Super Kaz

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You must not have a Turbo Tec USA Pulley!
Super Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:47 AM   #3
djoyce

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had a similar problem on a different bike. I used a little Armorall on it and the noise went away.
djoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2003, 02:19 PM   #4
mjw930
SNAFU

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Kaz
You must not have a Turbo Tec USA Pulley!
Yea, I know, I screwed up. Rub it in

Hadn't thought of armorall, I'll bet any good belt dressing would work too. I don't like armorall or anything that has petrolium distilates because they actually can accelerate deterioration but I'll look into a a suitable alternative.

I rechecked the alignment and everything's as it was with the old belt/pulley combo so I think a little lubrication will be just what the doctor ordered.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:24 PM   #5
Super Kaz

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thats what She Said!:freak:
Super Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:59 PM   #6
djoyce

I did not realize that about Armorall, thanks for the tip. Maybe some silicon dressing would work?
djoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:49 PM   #7
MonsterMaxx

I had the same issue with the first pulley I bought. Very loud howling from it. I took it back off.

Comparing the TT, the stock one and the one that was very loud I find that the tips of the teeth are ~.020" wider.

The TT was a little noisy when new, but nothing like the other one. Now it's silent, but when I looked at it today (replacing tires) that spot where the first one was wide is right where the most wear is showing.

Not sure how long this pully will last - perhaps they just wear hard in the beginning then no more...we'll see.
MonsterMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:01 PM   #8
mjw930
SNAFU

I went and got some spray silicone lube and lightly coated the belt's entire surface and it's really quieted down. I'm sure that after enough wear it will be fine, it's not rally that bad just somewhat annoying.

I did notice that the rear is making almost as much noise as the front prior to the silicone so I doubt it's really the pulley, probably just a new belt breaking in.

I suppose louder pipes would solve everything
Old 10-23-2003, 08:25 PM   #9
BobT

I had the "other" as everyone calls it 29 tooth pulley since around 1,100 miles (I think) and now I am nearing 9,500 miles and the only squeeks or squeels I have heard is when I push the bike out of the garage and down the drive way a bit (at 4:45 a.m.) so I can sneak out without waking the kids(bike is sorta loud) on T,W, & T when I work 1st shift. There is no whine that I can hear at any speed. What is it ? Too snug or loose of belt ? Before I put the pulley on I matched it with both the old and the belt and could not see any worrysome sights. This makes me wonder if there is a difference between the 28 and the 29 ? I dunno .....BobT
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:29 PM   #10
MonsterMaxx

honestly, I don't think it's a design issue, looks more to me like one batch of them just didn't get the teeth made at the optimal profile.

with the 28T & Venoms I'm really more like a 29T & stock.
MonsterMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement