oil in breather box fixed - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Problem Area > Problems
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #31
selliott5514
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil in breather box fixed

Never have I been low on oil I change every 4000 miles and the amount of oil VAPOR coming out is no were near enough to make me crash the bike but hey I'm not saying your system don't work all I'm saying is my method works as well with no problems I've done it to every bike I've owned here is my street glide I did this a little different with banjo bolts and stainless braided line to a T, I've put 25000 miles on this bike with this setup and not once have I ever been low on oil and after the bike sits there is never any droplets so like I said before you have your ways I have mine cheers and be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
selliott5514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #32
next
Registered Full

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by selliott5514 View Post
Or just tie the 2 lines together with a T then run single line down and out by fuel over flow at bottom of the bike and problem solved, but a catch can is another way as well
Something to think about is that if some of the oil gets sucked back into the crankcase then reason would leave me to believe that if you're using a T and tube connected to both of the crankcase hoses venting into the atmosphere where the other tubes are venting below the bike then it would occasionally be sucking in the fine dust and dirt kicked up by the front tire and wind from underneath the bike wouldn't it? I don't know about you but I wouldn't want all that crap getting into my engine. Maybe adding a small crankcase breather air filter element at the end of the crankcase breather tube would help though you would see it under the bike.. mebbe locate it somewhere else if you're going to vent outside of the air filter?
next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #33
selliott5514
Registered Full

Never have I felt any suction on those lines there is always a constant output of air but never any sucking from my understanding is that when the bike is off and the small amount of oil that was collected would drain back not suck back. Again I was just sharing how I've set up all my bikes even sportbikes

Old 03-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #34
selliott5514
Registered Full

https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthr...ge=1&_k=6wluu8

Old 03-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #35
selliott5514
Registered Full

Also the only reason u get a collection of oil is because with those lines and catch system being in the air box u are creating a vacuum that pulls the oil up

Old 07-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #36
ikocourek
Registered Full

Hey all, I have a 2013 Muscle with a 2 into 1 V&H Competition, Amsoil high-flow air Filter, and Power Commander V with auto-tune.
I'm having issues even with catch can installed. I never had any oil leaking issues until I ran my bike topless for a few weeks. When running topless I felt like it increased the vibration of the bike around the airbox cover so I decided to stop running it topless. From then on, I started having oil leaking down the right side of the bike and seemingly leaking from the dipstick area as well. I removed the air filter top and oil was pooled in the area. I cleaned it up and ran the bike some more with the same result. I saw this post and decided to install a catch can. Doing this hasn't fixed anything. I haven't taken the it apart to inspect the breather hoses yet but have bought new ones just incase. Even so why would oil be pooling in the airbox? If the hoses were cracked it wouldn't happen there, would it? Any ideas and help would be great. I have attached some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_155405_1563324122618.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	533143   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_155422_1563324146814.jpg
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	533145   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_155456_1563324188630.jpg
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	533147   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_155604_1563324223467.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	533149   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_155646_1563324256512.jpg
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	533151  

ikocourek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #37
stever975
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikocourek View Post
Hey all, I have a 2013 Muscle with a 2 into 1 V&H Competition, Amsoil high-flow air Filter, and Power Commander V with auto-tune.
I'm having issues even with catch can installed. I never had any oil leaking issues until I ran my bike topless for a few weeks. When running topless I felt like it increased the vibration of the bike around the airbox cover so I decided to stop running it topless. From then on, I started having oil leaking down the right side of the bike and seemingly leaking from the dipstick area as well. I removed the air filter top and oil was pooled in the area. I cleaned it up and ran the bike some more with the same result. I saw this post and decided to install a catch can. Doing this hasn't fixed anything. I haven't taken the it apart to inspect the breather hoses yet but have bought new ones just incase. Even so why would oil be pooling in the airbox? If the hoses were cracked it wouldn't happen there, would it? Any ideas and help would be great. I have attached some pics.
First thing I would check is engine oil level. It's better to run this a little low than even a fraction too high.

Next would be the breather hoses for both cylinders.

If these are OK, the next likely culprit is piston rings not seated. (Spark plugs should be checked for fouling.) You can also do compression testing and cylinder leak down to test for piston ring and valve leaks. This can be hard to fix on an older engine and may require splitting the engine case.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #38
ikocourek
Registered Full

Thank you for your reply. I'll check the breather hoses but and my oil level which before I know was at the full line when engine was warm. Other than that, the bike runs amazing. I'm just not sure how so much oil could get in there especially with a catch can. I'm guessing from the areas of the breather hose that are in there too?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #39
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikocourek View Post
Thank you for your reply. I'll check the breather hoses but and my oil level which before I know was at the full line when engine was warm. Other than that, the bike runs amazing. I'm just not sure how so much oil could get in there especially with a catch can. I'm guessing from the areas of the breather hose that are in there too?
If working properly, the breather lines should only be moving air and oil vapor. Any liquid oil means that excess blowby is carrying oil out of the heads or if too much oil in the crankcase, this is being forced into the heads and going out the breathers. The OEM canister that connects to the breather tubes is designed to condense the oil vapor and allow the condensed oil to drain back to the cylinder heads through the breather lines.

There shouldn't be found any more than a thin film of oil inside the air cleaner housing and most remain dry.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #40
pecee
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
the valve seals are very good on these engines,so good i reacon the only lube the stems get are the from that vent air.so if you want to risk wear on guides and stems for no advantage in output then so be it.
pecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #41
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by selliott5514 View Post
Also the only reason u get a collection of oil is because with those lines and catch system being in the air box u are creating a vacuum that pulls the oil up

To pull a vacuum the filter will need restriction or plugged. It's more of a flow of air. Also , keep in mind the big twins use one way breather valves so there is only out flow if they are working correctly. I ran external lines on my 120ci when I had it. The Revolution does not use one way breather valves so there is in and out flow, so a filter would be desirable on the end of the hose. I've not found carbon and oil amounts in the box to bother with the external routing at this stage. Seems to work fine as designed. I will admit running these things at high rpms does increase amount of oil that condenses in the breather box.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #42
ikocourek
Registered Full

Thanks for the replies. I do run my bike through all RPM ranges and definitely do run her up at high RPMs. I feel like I ride it how it was designed to be. The times I do ride it at higher RPMs does seem to increase the amount of oil in the airbox as well as leaks down the right side of the bike creating a mess. I have disconnected the breather hoses and removed the bolts holding the box on. The hoses don't seem degraded at all just a small crack in the rear hose close to where it connects on the engine. Other than that, in really good shape. I have new hoses and gaskets which I'll use to replace the current ones. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that my tune is off and pushing too much fuel. Would this be a potential cause? Should I be using this catch can idea? Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement