Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Joined the 240 club, Thanks to Max!

10K views 49 replies 30 participants last post by  valbano 
#1 ·
Well, after much thought and stifling the urge to go huge, I decided to upgrade from a 200 rear to a 240.
My main objective was to keep it looking stock and maintaining the anodized skins.
Thanks to Max! I was able to obtain a Kosman widened stock wheel and cut down pulley, which was smooth finished and polished. It looks great on the bike.
The 240 metz rides like a dream. I love the handling. No complaints from me on this total package.

Parts:
Kosman Widened stock wheel to 8.5”
Metz 240 tire
Skinny HD Belt
Cut Down Rear Pulley

Modifications:
Cut out’s on belt guards.
Cut sides off of inner fender liner.
Cut sides off of inside wheel well tank flap.
Cut tab off of swing arm to clear wheel.

Assembly took about 3 hours. I still have some minor cleanup left. But all in all I’m very pleased!

Thanks to this forum, I’m rolling a 240 now….

See less See more
#2 ·
looks good welcome to the club

#5 ·
Sweet place to snap a few pictures as well.

#6 ·
Is there a guide posted on how to do this somewhere here with pics by any chance? There are no other parts required? You don't need a widened swingarm, pulley offsets or any of that stuff that comes in the kits from places like Hogpro? And you can use the stock fender?

Can you use any 8.5 wheel?
Can you go any lower (shorter shocks) with this setup or will you have clearance problems?

Sorry for so many questions, but I have been considering this for quite a while now, but it seemed like a lot of parts and $$.

This doesn't seem too bad.

#9 ·
swoop said:
did you get this stuff from kosman or does max sell the kit? id like to order one up thanks
The wheel is done by kosman, you will find a link on the front page to contact Kosman.

#13 ·
skotk1 said:
Is there a guide posted on how to do this somewhere here with pics by any chance? There are no other parts required? You don't need a widened swingarm, pulley offsets or any of that stuff that comes in the kits from places like Hogpro? And you can use the stock fender?

Can you use any 8.5 wheel?
Can you go any lower (shorter shocks) with this setup or will you have clearance problems?

Sorry for so many questions, but I have been considering this for quite a while now, but it seemed like a lot of parts and $$.

This doesn't seem too bad.

To answer your questions, yes, there are plenty of posts on this site with the info.
Try this post for example:http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16894

Yes, an 8.5" rim is what you need. Either a widened stock by Kosman, or an aftermarket.
V-Mod offers the cut down pulley, belt, and guards if you don't have any or don't want to modify your own.
http://www.v-mod.com

I'm running 1.5" lower shocks, shortened by Skullman. With the forks lowered 1", the bike sits perfectly level.
http://www.skullmanonline.com/mb-shocks.html

It's really an easy to do swap. Let me know if you have anymore question....

#16 ·
stomper said:
That looks great :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

Who did your swingarm ????
Most people have been doing it themself. It's just a simple angle cut. If you know where there is an '06 S-E V-rod that you can look at then all you need to do is look at where the rear caliper slides on the swingarm and you'll see the notch. It takes about 5 minutes.

#18 ·
Gdub said:
I am in the process of getting parts together to go to a 240 maybe 260 if it will fit on the stock swing arm. Something about the anodized just looks so good and with that rear, super clean and nice looking bike.
Ummm the stock swing arm is bare aluminum, not anodized. And I doubt you get anything larger then a 240-250 into a stock swing arm without having it cut.

#21 ·
Nothin like a modified anodized V-Rod w solid wheels in my book.Looks real good.:thumb:
My wife and brother thought I was crazy when I started modifying mine and stuffed a 240 in place of the 200,but now that it's been done they keep telling me that my bike now has the look that it has always needed.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

#22 ·
thanks for all the info. Your bike looks great!

#23 ·
This is the stock swing arm, trimmed off a peice 7/8" by7/8" of the brake tab... Nothing else.

#24 ·
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Nothin like a modified anodized V-Rod w solid wheels in my book.Looks real good.:thumb:

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

i agree with elrod, :notworth: well done on the conversion, does anyone know how i can get this done in the UK? ......it is exactly what i want!!!

#25 ·
bigrog74 said:
I'm sure my wife will disagree, but I don't see where its worth the headache and money just to go 2" wider. That's if you are rolling a 200mm. To each his own. The bike does look good and I guess everyone has to have a hobby.
You're right it's a preference thing....
The visible difference!
IMHO it's worth every penny. The stock bike, with a 180 or a 200 just does not look complete to me. Oviously the MOCO feels the same way, since the new bikes are wide now...

Here it is side by side:

200mm rear:

240mm rear:

#26 ·
I can't really tell a difference with the two different angles in the photos. I can visibly tell the difference between the 200 and the 240 when I see them on (and that's not by looking at the tire wall either...). How much did the mod cost you, if you don't mind me asking? I am a big fan of the fat rear tire, but my dilema is spending a lot of money for such a small difference. I would love to go 280, but funds aren't there yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.