Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

H-D FXDR 114 Compared to V-Rod and Ducati XDiavel

12K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  stevemcgov 
#1 ·
OK…here’s a new review of the H-D FXDR 114 I saw on YouTube.
In the beginning of the video the reviewers do an intro where they compare the FXDR 114 to the V-Rod and set up the FXDR 114 as the new performance cruiser that has replaced the V-Rod, which IMHO is a very poor substitute for the V-Rod.
Then we go into some Harley-Davidson delusional promotional BS where they state basically that the FXDR 114 is just a fire-breathing, drag racing, footpeg scraping super performance cross of sport bike and cruiser. What a bunch of crap. What is H-D providing for their employees in their lunch room anyway?
Then we switch back to reality where the reviewers express their opinions after actually riding the FXDR. One of the reviewers drag raced his personal nine year old Triumph 675cc Street Triple. The Triumph humiliated the FXDR.
Then they speculated on how the FXDR stacked up with another competitor in it’s performance cruiser class, the Ducati XDiavel/XDiavel S. It doesn’t stack up well in any categories against the Ducati and if they had the opportunity to do a shoot-out between the FXDR 114 and the XDiavel, that would be even more humiliating to Harley-Davidson.
A few of the comments from the viewers of the video;
“The speed of the V-rod was too scary for Harley customers, so Harley replaced it with something slower and more expensive. Slow and expensive are the qualities Harley fans love.”
“Thanks for another honest review video. This bike makes me wonder how is this the replacement for the V-Rod? It’s slower and more expensive...makes no sense.”
And on and on……
Harley-Davidson should be ashamed of themselves.
Have a look….

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a pretty good review. I believe this guy really wanted to like this bike, just too many ticks in the cons list and not enough in the pros list. Pretty tough market for a power cruiser, when you are talking that kinda money the competition is pretty tough.

#3 ·
Couldn't pay me to take that bike. It takes the worst of our bikes and multiplies it.

I agree with the ridiculous riding position. I had to add a budman's riser and bitchin seat to my F before I could handle more than an hour (and I used to road race bicycles for 100+ miles so I know about bike ergonomics good and bad).

The welds they showed are funny. Looks like someone in the union convinced them they can weld better than a robot. Guess not.

#4 ·
I think it's really in a class of its own and there's nothing to compare and that's how HD wanted it.They avoid direct competition that way, it's uniquely Harley.
Link doesn't work for me but I've seen the sales clip taken on the track and noticed no other brands being hosed into the weeds to compare so assume it doesn't.
Best looking old school retro bike they've built to my eyes but not really my bag.V Rod was as ''Harley'' as I was willing to go.

#5 ·
Thanks for your opinion.
Makes me more grateful about buying my 06D 3 years ago for $5k.
I ain't made of money. FXDR 114 is 19K and not faster but slower?
Stage 1 D is plenty of smile making perfomance for me.

I'm ignorant about HD's "marketing strategy"..
But, I had never heard of VROD's until I bought mine.
Such a good performer that surprises me now.

A Biased VROD-er I wonder why after a long run, strong dependable engine,
production tooling all set, that they didn't keep the VROD, simple it up some maybe, find ways to save on production, work on emissions and pass on a reasonable price and stay relevant in the power cruiser class?
So the smaller Street 750 and other Water Cooled RevoX bikes are designed for overseas
market, forget the VROD?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.