Instructions for Reading Codes on Late Model Bikes
For newer bikes the instructions are as follows (this comes from page 2-1 of the 2010 EDM = electrical diagnostic manual, P/N 99499-10):
1. To enter diagnostic mode press and hold the trip odometer reset switch while turning the IGN ON.
2. Release the trip odometer reset switch. "diag" should appear on the odometer display.
3. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch. "PSCb" will appear on the odometer display.
4. PSCb indicates the different modules that could display codes if equipped.
• P - ECM codes
• S - TSM/TSSM/HFSM codes
• C - IM codes
• b - ABS codes
5. Quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch to cycle through the letters. The letters will flash as they are selected.
6. Once the corresponding letter is flashing to the desired module press and hold the trip odometer reset switch.
7. If no DTCs are present the odometer will display "none".
8. If any DTCs are stored in the module either current or historic the odometer will display the DTC. Quickly pressing and releasing the trip odometer reset switch will cycle through the stored DTCs.
9. If odometer displays "no rsp" then the motorcycle may not be equipped with the module. If the motorcycle is equipped with the selected module then go to other modules and look for applicable communication codes.
10. When all the DTCs have been cycled the odometer will display "end".
11. To clear all the DTCs in that module press and hold the trip odometer reset switch. If DTCs are not to be cleared quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch. The part number of the module will be displayed.
12. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch again to continue to the next module.
13. Turn the IGN OFF to exit diagnostic mode.