» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password

1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum (https://www.1130cc.com/forums/index.php)
-   VRSCR (https://www.1130cc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Has anybody tried the Wilbers lowered VRSR suspension? (https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436511)

dralex 07-06-2018 02:09 AM

Has anybody tried the Wilbers lowered VRSR suspension?

I want to lower my VRSCR a bit.

I have done some research and the Hyperpro fork springs will lower the front by about .75 inch. I can get YSS shorter shocks for the back. I was thinking 15 inch so the bike is lowered front and back by .75 inch.

But I also found some Wilbers shocks and fork springs that will lower the bike by 2 inches. This setup will cost double the price of the Hyperpro/YSS. The main difference is in the rear shocks, the front springs cost the same. So I could possibly get a front Wilbers lowered by 2 inch and some 14.5 inch YSS rears.

Has anyone tried them?

And unfortunately Works Performance and Dave Quinn have closed shop so I can't get custom made shocks from them.

streetrodracer 07-06-2018 09:59 AM

Leave the stock suspension alone - just buy shoes with a 1" thicker sole ! If anyone could use the higher longer travel R suspension I would think it would be you all down under. Also for shorter rear shocks check bottomed length so swing arm does not hit the bottom of the fuel cell - just back off rear shock preload to 0 and fork spring spacers could be cut to lower, I personally wouldn't do either but that's much less expensive and can be reversed easily.

DMS1970 07-06-2018 08:18 PM

I put a 1” lowering link on my bike. Now it sits level and it is night and day different for putting my feet on the ground. No issues with bottoming out the gas tank, even riding with a passenger. I highly recommend it.

DMS1970 07-06-2018 08:53 PM

streetrodracer 07-07-2018 09:31 AM

That looks good DMS1970 you could also slide the forks up in the triple clamps a half inch or more since your fork reflectors have been removed. ( There's plenty of unused room in the upper triple clamp for them to slide up into ) This would help maintain the front to back balance and closer to original geometry of the bike. Watch for fender and tire clearance at full bottomed out. I relocated the pax footpegs to the swing arm and removed those gyno position heavy brackets and pegs so anyone that's done that can't lower it unless they add bumper stops to the shock shafts because the peg brackets will hit the fuel tank. I ground off the brackets for clearance but my final fix is to get 16" custom shocks and even fully bottomed out no contact.

Tie_One_On 07-07-2018 10:12 AM

move the forks up in the triple tree a little instead of removing travel length from the suspension

Hogpro 07-13-2018 05:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just had these Works shocks built to my specs at 15.5". Works is slowly building up their business again so contact them I am sure they can build what you want since they just finished these last week.

dimebag 07-14-2018 12:49 PM

+1 for Works.
have a set on my R and love them.

boostinbaja 07-21-2018 09:03 AM

I slid my fronts up and then did a 240 in the rear using a 2012 DX swingarm with stock rear shocks, Dropped the height 2 inches or so. I ride fast, the difference in handling is awesome!

RF_R_US 08-11-2018 01:28 PM

I slid my forks up 1/2" in the triple tree and put on Works Suspension -1/2" custom shocks. I was concerned about hitting the gas tank with the swingarm, but no problem and it lowered it just enough as I wanted.

YMMV,

John

Biggsy 04-13-2019 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogpro (Post 4720363)
I just had these Works shocks built to my specs at 15.5". Works is slowly building up their business again so contact them I am sure they can build what you want since they just finished these last week.

What rear fender is this?

mitch2000 07-09-2019 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have Wilbers on the rear (plus Wilbers inserts upfront) but standard length, so doesn't really help in your question, but I can confirm that they are brilliant, and the quality is superb, if thats of any help.

ozzie21 07-09-2019 04:56 PM

Legends Air Suspension

Quote:

Originally Posted by dralex (Post 4719595)
I want to lower my VRSCR a bit.

I have done some research and the Hyperpro fork springs will lower the front by about .75 inch. I can get YSS shorter shocks for the back. I was thinking 15 inch so the bike is lowered front and back by .75 inch.

But I also found some Wilbers shocks and fork springs that will lower the bike by 2 inches. This setup will cost double the price of the Hyperpro/YSS. The main difference is in the rear shocks, the front springs cost the same. So I could possibly get a front Wilbers lowered by 2 inch and some 14.5 inch YSS rears.

Has anyone tried them?

And unfortunately Works Performance and Dave Quinn have closed shop so I can't get custom made shocks from them.

I had Legends Air Suspension on my Muscle. You can see more on that with pics at my posts on this forum. Never had any problems. You can raise or lower bike as you like and also depending on load, whether you're riding solo or with a passenger.