» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password

1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum (https://www.1130cc.com/forums/index.php)
-   V-ROD Mechanical (https://www.1130cc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Oil and your Wet-Clutch - How and Why? (https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105413)

o2man98 07-27-2008 08:24 PM

Oil and your Wet-Clutch - How and Why?

Here is a great write up from Amsoil (maybe even sticky worthy) that describes the operation of your clutch along with the roll the the engine oil has. It does an excellent job of describing why I have always recommended a good motorcycle oil with a JASO MA2 rating over an automotive oil without the frictional rating.

Sure, some people will be able to state they have had no problems with auto oil but that is not always the case. This is especially important in application that seem to be prone to slippage like our beloved V-Rod's.

http://www.modernoils.com/media/pdf_..._operation.pdf

Ken

ROCKETRON816 01-30-2009 06:13 AM

Interesting article thanks

brentsimnitt 02-01-2009 07:58 PM

slipping clut

Help dude. I have an 03 v-rod that ran perfect until i used mobile 1 vtwin for motorcycles. Immediately the clutch slipped horribly. I flushed it out and went to screaming eagle. It slowed the slip, but when i get on it to change lanes and accelerate the rpms walk away, i lose power, and slow way down. It feels likje a slipping clutch.
I upgraded to a Barnett V-rod model clutch and thought that would fix it. The clutch does the exact same thing and the hotter it gets outside the worse it slips. I replaced the clutch--what the hell else could it be. I have taken it to three different harley shops and they say its fine because it works good until the bike warms up. I am way frustrated...what the hell else could it be? Its getting ridiculous and dangerous and no one has an answer. Help!!!

o2man98 02-01-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentsimnitt (Post 1658995)
Help dude. I have an 03 v-rod that ran perfect until i used mobile 1 vtwin for motorcycles. Immediately the clutch slipped horribly. I flushed it out and went to screaming eagle. It slowed the slip, but when i get on it to change lanes and accelerate the rpms walk away, i lose power, and slow way down. It feels likje a slipping clutch.
I upgraded to a Barnett V-rod model clutch and thought that would fix it. The clutch does the exact same thing and the hotter it gets outside the worse it slips. I replaced the clutch--what the hell else could it be. I have taken it to three different harley shops and they say its fine because it works good until the bike warms up. I am way frustrated...what the hell else could it be? Its getting ridiculous and dangerous and no one has an answer. Help!!!

It sounds like you may have air in your clutch line or bad fluid. I would bet that your clutch fluid is very dark in color greenish most likely. I would suggest your flush with fresh DOT5 fluid and see if that helps.

nic_a_bod 02-09-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o2man98 (Post 1659002)
It sounds like you may have air in your clutch line or bad fluid. I would bet that your clutch fluid is very dark in color greenish most likely. I would suggest your flush with fresh DOT5 fluid and see if that helps.

I thought it got clear looking, as it's purple when it goes in??? Well maybe not clear, but like a light brown color

Vambo 02-09-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Did they check to see if the oil is circulating properly in the tranny/clutch housing?
I would also post your question the mechanical and/or racing section.

GQ-01 06-17-2009 04:37 AM

Brentsimnitt,

I'm not saying anything is impossible, but it seems unlikely to me that an engine oil designed for motorcycles would cause clutch slippage. Oil manufacturers know that most motorcycles use wet clutches, so the friction modifiers that go into automotive oils don't go into motorcycle oil. But bear in mind, I don't work for an oil company, and I don't know everything about all the motorcycle oils out there - or even very much, for that matter. Then again, it's possible you grabbed a motor oil, albeit for V-Twins, but still intended for dry clutches. If you really think it was the oil that produced your clutch slippage, I'm afraid I've got some bad news, because though I'm not sure what you mean when you said you flushed the oil, but unless you tear your engine all the way down and clean everything, oil is going to remain in your engine, period. However, I'm not sure how much of the friction modifiers it would take to affect a wet clutch.

You said you got a new clutch, and the problem persisted? Was this before or after you changed your oil? If it was before, it's possible that the problem was indeed the oil, and the friction material on the drive plates of the clutch absorbed the modified oil. It would really behoove you to find out as much as possible about the oil you were using when you first noticed the problem.

All I have at home is my '09 manual, and all it sites in troubleshooting for a slipping clutch is insufficient clutch spring tension and worn friction discs. Did you install the new clutch yourself? Did you have to put it together? If so, is it possible you built or installed it incorrectly?

VanislVrod 07-21-2009 07:06 PM

Silly question but using the *friction zone at low speeds on this bike will it burn up the clutch (a HD dealer) told me not too ride the clutch no matter what> that makes no sense because if you dont ride your clutch and drag your brake you have no low speed control...

thanks

BayouRuler 07-21-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanislVrod (Post 1786558)
Silly question but using the *friction zone at low speeds on this bike will it burn up the clutch (a HD dealer) told me not too ride the clutch no matter what> that makes no sense because if you dont ride your clutch and drag your brake you have no low speed control...

thanks

Say what?

RustyG 07-21-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayouRuler (Post 1786626)
Say what?

I concur. "Say What"

GQ-01 07-21-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

thanks

Was this person in sales? Use your friction zone. And your FRONT brake. Your rear brake only provides about 30% of your stopping power.

That said, if you're TRYING to go slow, you obviously don't need a lot of throttle while you're in the friction zone, either.

VanislVrod 07-21-2009 10:16 PM

Well I came from street bikes and they have wet clutches and I assumed these did too, obviously they do. This guys giving me some false info a few times already so i thought id ask other riders cause i was using the friction zone anyway an dragging brake for slow speed stuff, and front brake at high speeds. Also you never know were the info is coming from unless you ride with em eh..... :chainsaw:

VanislVrod 07-21-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQ-01 (Post 1786664)
Was this person in sales?

:bash:

lbrown 07-21-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

i have seen this problem a few times. the clutch fluid gets contaminated and flushing the whole system fixes the problem. rarely the problem can be caused by the small bleed back hole in the master cylnder getting plugged. heat builds up pressure in the clutch fluid that can`t escape through the bleed back hole and applies the clutch enough to slip when hot.

tsgiss 08-13-2009 03:09 AM

Thanks for sharing infor here

calcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt immobilier - Taux emprunt immobilier. Comparez les offres d’emprunt immobilier, simulation emprunt immobilier, taux emprunt immobiliercalcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt immobilier