» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password

1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum (https://www.1130cc.com/forums/index.php)
-   VRSCD (https://www.1130cc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Fork Oil and Progressive Spring (https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282825)

Andrewgreg 01-20-2014 11:44 PM

Fork Oil and Progressive Spring

Finally decide to do something about suspension on my 07 D. Decide to change to SE 15 fork oil and progressive spring to improve handling. Have a few questions to ask before I do anything stupid.

1. How many inches from the top? My research showing I need 32 oz each fork so I need 4 pint total. Anyone has service manual can confirm?

2. On Progressive website showing 11-1525 18", anyone can confirm if it will fit? 18 is stock length?

3. Is this a difficult job? Do I need to remove anything wheels etc? Or I just need to drain oil, take out old spring and put new ones and new oil in.

Thank you very much folks.

rc4man 01-21-2014 09:11 AM

Loosen fork caps because you'll need to remove the fork tubes to pour the oil out. Put bike on lift, remove brake calipers and let hang by hoses, remove fender, remove front wheel, loosen triple clamp pinch bolts and slide fork tube out of trees, remove cap, spring and pour out oil, you may need to pump it a bit to make sure all oil is cycled out.
Reverse steps for reassembly, without spring pour in oil to recommended level, put in spring, compress with cap and carefully turn to re-engage threads and tighten.

Andrewgreg 01-21-2014 03:01 PM

thank you very much for those info. I need to do more research

rc4man 01-21-2014 03:12 PM

There are a few more finer details but that's the general overview

andycg 01-21-2014 06:54 PM

if you are using progressive spring, it is 5.5" from the top. you can verify it with progressive tech support.

h2o 01-22-2014 01:15 PM

When I put Progressive springs in my 08 D, I used 1 1/2 bottles of SE HD fork oil in each tube.

Andrewgreg 01-22-2014 02:36 PM

Thank you guys. Looks like I need to check with progressive spring tech support since I don't have service manual.

rsc 01-22-2014 06:34 PM

watch the video...

link in Sig.

Trek4ward 01-23-2014 07:33 AM

I also have an 07D and purchased Progressive 11-1535's and used Amsoil Shock Therapy Suspension Fluid #10 Medium. Can't recall how much I used, but I want to say it was 2 quarts or less. There was a great write-up here somewhere (probably in the suspension forum). You'll want to fabricate a vise out of a wood clamp. Works like a charm. I drained my forks on the bike (front wheel off) and then took them off and removed/replaced the parts. Just an FYI, they are highly compressed, so be ready to hold back that spring from ejecting when you loosen the fork nut. The nut also has really tight threads and can strip easily, so keep that in mind also when replacing them. Progressive will give you the option of using their stock spacer or cutting it shorter depending on your riding preference (the spacers are just a piece of PVC pipe). I used them at stock length, and they're a bit stiff for my liking. I may take them back out and cut a 1/4" off. Good luck!

Dropkick 06-04-2014 04:01 PM

I'm also looking to install progressives on my 08 DX with the SE fluid. For those that have done this would you say its worth it or would you recommend just changing over to the SE fluid? Can anyone comment on progressives HD forks and the ride quality? I'm 215lbs and ride with a passenger about 10 percent of the time. Thanks!

Nvigr8ng 06-07-2014 09:53 PM

When I did my forks the first time, I installed stock height progressive springs and used Amsoil shock therapy but I honestly don't recall the oil weight. I can say it made things much better then stock with regard to brake dive and response. Ultimately I went with the Race Tech set up as I was looking for more from the forks. But you are headed in the right direction. As for doing it yourself, its not too hard, basic steps are outlined above. Take your time, you will need a manual to get torque ratings for bolts but overall its not a crazy complex job.

Curtis_J 06-10-2014 05:35 PM

Have progressive springs on order, hopefully do this mod over the weekend. Once you have the cap off and springs out, couldn't you just use an extra large syringe with fuel line hose attached to siphon the fork oil out? Don't want to take my forks off if I don't have to. If I did it that way, would there be anything preventing me from getting all the oil out?

rc4man 06-10-2014 08:18 PM

You won't get it all out because half is below the damper.

Dropkick 06-11-2014 05:15 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm definitely going to do this sooner rather than later. I think I may go with the heavy duty springs and stick with a lighter/medium weight oil. Most likely I'll let the shop do the install though. I'm replacing my tires this week after recently plugging a screw hole and am going to try a new shop, up and running cycles in Springfield VA. If all goes well ill probably have them do the spring install as well.

Curtis_J 06-21-2014 12:54 AM

Ordered my progressive springs and 15w fork oil today. Should have it Tuesday, I'll let you know how I find it once I get them installed.