air ride for the R?? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
trbizwiz
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
air ride for the R??

I had hoped to get in the GB 2.1 arnott air ride deal. Lucky me the arnott's dont fit the VRSCR, appearantly the are too short causing the cross bar to hit the tank. Anybody got air ride on their R? Who makes a system that will work? any other suggestions?
I am a little hacked that H_D dc'd the R we wont get any of the new cool stuff unless we fab it our selves. No one will spend the bucks to market to the 12 of us that have 'em. But you will still have to pry the handle bars out of my cold dead fingers.
Sorry for the gripe fest, just a little disappointed. At 6'1' (with 31" inseam) and 275# air ride was invented for guys like me. Short legged and suspension bottoming out types.
Hogpro chrome and stainless 2 piece rotors with Z racing pads (quiet!)
Chrome reactor pulley shaved by Vmod for skinny belt
CFR pipe (not so quiet)
H-D integrated garage door opener
H-d integrated battery tender
PCIII
American Soft Seat carved and refoamed stocker with gel and memory foam
K&N filter
1/18 scale model for my 2 year old (never too young to brain wash how cool dad is)
trbizwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
streetrodder06
Thread Killer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
There is an interference issue with the fuel tank if you go down to far on the R. That would be the main reason why.

Michael
2012 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC: 167hp

2007 & 2012 KC Rally "stock" 1130cc Dyno Shootout Champ

Proud member of the 07 4am club!!
streetrodder06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
J-Rodvrscr
Jared

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
maybe we should start a new thread about the best way to lower an R...as height seems to be an issue with quite a few people (i'm between 5'8" and 5'10" depending on what convenient store i'm leaving, with a 32" inseam)
Old 04-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
trbizwiz
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodder06
There is an interference issue with the fuel tank if you go down to far on the R. That would be the main reason why.
anyway to resolve this using the arnott system as it exists? or maybe a mod to the r to make this work??
I hate starting a thread, because I know I am overlooking something already posted but, the time is ticking on the GB for the arnott's if there is a way to make it work, I am in! I dont want to tear anything up though.
CFR pipe (not so quiet)
PCIII
K&N filter
1/18 scale model for my 2 year old (never too young to brain wash how cool dad is)
Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
streetrodder06
Thread Killer

Nothing that I am aware of. The only real effective way I have seen an R lowered is going with 14.5 progressive shocks in the rear. You can also switch to a 17in. wheel like the Buell XB12 wheels. Wish I had a better answer for ya.

Michael

Old 04-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Arnott carries a 14.25" air shock. Look on their web site. Not sure if they will work with you on price, but strikes me that they would. Any company that offers a group buy is willing to work with their customers.
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTJAM
Arnott carries a 14.25" air shock. Look on their web site. Not sure if they will work with you on price, but strikes me that they would. Any company that offers a group buy is willing to work with their customers.
Where do you see this air shock? All V-Rod kits use 13" shocks. There are Touring, Dyna, and Sportster kits with 11.5"-12" shocks. It is not a matter of finding a shock that is 14.25" long. You also need to find one where the compressed length is long enough to not allow the swingarm to crush the gas tank. What is the minimum length necessary? Sure you could put in a long bumpstop but anything that long will take away from the most efficient working area of the shock absorber.

I have talked to Arnott about these but since I have had only 2 people contact me for StreetRod shocks it is not a worthwhile investment for them to source correct shock absorbers.

If this did happen I would certainly offer a group buy on them.
Call me at 920-860-0116 for ordering. Best times will be after 5pm weekdays or anytime weekends.
Contact me directly for forum member pricing as Authorized Dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted rates publicly.
Get DEALER COST immediately on your first order by following these instructions. Purchase at dealer cost.
o2man98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
streetrodder06
Thread Killer

14.25 is the absolute minimum before hitting the tank from what I have seen/read on here. I would go no lower than 14.5 though.

Michael

Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
trbizwiz
Registered Full

if you find'em in chrome I am in

and for the rest of my R brethren, come on pony up if we squeek loud enough they will get em. you know you want em.
CFR pipe (not so quiet)
PCIII
K&N filter
Old 04-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #10
KWIKR
Inked up Irishman

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Ken already knows I am in.....
AMSOil Airfilter, Rinehart 2-1 exhaust, Hogpro Sonic wheels, rotors, and pulley, VRFI-D EFI system, 200 metz, street tracker works shocks,radius sidemount license plate, stage III +14 -3 light pod led light kit, custom paint job, lots more chrome!!!!
KWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

So, do these not work? IDK - I am just wondering.

100 Series Bilstein Custom Air Suspension Shocks 15''
Price: $699.00
Quantity:

We ship internationally!
Click here to request a quote. Here at Arnott Inc., we have collaborated with some of the best manufacturers in the world to create our newest line of custom air shocks. These new shocks boast world-class technology from leading manufacturers such as Bilstein, Goodyear, and Contitech.

The 100 Series shock absorber is perfect for light-weight applications. The compact air springs have a maximum inflated diameter of less than 3.5 inches. This makes our shock perfect for a cramped area. The maximum load capacity for each air spring is 790 lbs. @ 100 psi. This is ideal for the rear suspension of a vehicle or motorcycle with an axle weight of up to 1,500 lbs. Download schematic for complete details

Maximum Extension: 15"
Minimum Compression: 11"
Recommended Ride Height: 13.5"

Features:
• Bilstein monotube shock absorber
• Polished aluminum finish
• Goodyear & Contitech air springs
• 1/4” NPT air port
• Patented shock valve technology
• Show quality finish
• Made in the USA

Warranty Information:
One Year Warranty

Schematic
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
Old 04-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #12
trbizwiz
Registered Full

Smile

Quote:

Quantity:

We ship internationally!
Click here to request a quote. Here at Arnott Inc., we have collaborated with some of the best manufacturers in the world to create our newest line of custom air shocks. These new shocks boast world-class technology from leading manufacturers such as Bilstein, Goodyear, and Contitech.

The 100 Series shock absorber is perfect for light-weight applications. The compact air springs have a maximum inflated diameter of less than 3.5 inches. This makes our shock perfect for a cramped area. The maximum load capacity for each air spring is 790 lbs. @ 100 psi. This is ideal for the rear suspension of a vehicle or motorcycle with an axle weight of up to 1,500 lbs. Download schematic for complete details

Features:
• 1/4” NPT air port
• Show quality finish
• Made in the USA

Warranty Information:
One Year Warranty

Schematic
i am guessing that if the swing arm hits the tank @ 14.25" 13.5 ride height is problematic. Anybody want to fab up a new tank, we could sell the stock ones or something. the same tank with that back notch shaved off would eliminate this problem and would have made more sence anyway. doubt it would cost a quart of fuel capacity.
CFR pipe (not so quiet)
PCIII
K&N filter
Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:

Quantity:

We ship internationally!

Features:
• 1/4” NPT air port
• Show quality finish
• Made in the USA

Warranty Information:
One Year Warranty

Schematic
NO that will not work. The 11" minimum length will crush the tank. That is there open bag shock most popular for streetrod cars and trucks. This shock has an OD of 3.58" which is over .75" wider than the V-Rod shocks. Not to mention polished only, no chrome or black.
Call me at 920-860-0116 for ordering. Best times will be after 5pm weekdays or anytime weekends.
Contact me directly for forum member pricing as Authorized Dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted rates publicly.
Get DEALER COST immediately on your first order by following these instructions. Purchase at dealer cost.
o2man98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #14
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

So, again, NOTHING FITS AN R! DANG!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #15
dviry
gRRR

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
bump - I would still love an Air Ride for my 'R, if only to lower it while parking...
200 rear, PCIII, 4 red Competition Footpegs, Front Mirror Signals, Custom Tacho Faceplate, Headlight Visor, Amsoil Air Filter, Topless, X-Screen, Slipper Clutch, 26T pulley, Kuryakyn chromed spider hand grips, chromed slotted HD levers, Works Progressive Chromed Street Tracks, Heavy Duty front fork oil, gel padded seat, radiator grills, Custom Dynamics red accent lights, chromed horn cover
Cortech Sports bags (x3), Axio Tailbag, Tankbag
dviry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement