v-rod cruise controls - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General > Hand controls
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
v-woodman

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
v-rod cruise controls

Has any one put a mechanical or other type of cruise control on there bike?
i have a 2006 screaming eagle. Right now I am looking at a product by Brakeaway which is mechanical. Thanks for any info you have.
v-woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
J-Dog
Registered Full

It looks like it might do the trick, but man....over $200! I've been wanting to get one, but I don't know if I need one that bad. It seems like there has to be a more economical option out there. You do have to give the website though....using the v-rod as an example for Harleys.

02 VRSCA
V-Mod, PC-III, K&N
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
The ThirdAM
Third of 4

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I got a plastic "thing" that goes over the wheel on the bottom of the switch housing. Push it forward and it holds the throttle in position, but the throttle can be manually moved when necessary. Pull it back and the throttle closes normally. I think it cost $8.00 maybe less. Got it at my HD store, not a Harley part however.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
BeelzeKnut
Soul Stumpy

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Brakeaway is good sh!t

The Brakeaway is a very nice quality product, I installed it on a friend's Dyna, he has been very happy with it. Easy pushbutton action to engage, easy to disengage, and you can adjust the throttle when the cruise control is engaged.

The safety feature is important: when you touch the brake, i releases. You do NOT wanna fiddle with your cruise control when something unexpected pops up while cruising. I am in no way affiliated with brakeaway, but I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone wanting a safe quality cruise control setup for their bike.

*Haud Caedes Vacuus Tributum*
08 DXA, Fitzgerald Motorsports 1487cc big bore, Penske Triple adjustable racing shocks, Traxxion AK20 front cartridges, Wegners custom exhaust, BST front rim, Rizoma Aero 17 mirrors, Rizoma 09 bars, V- Gauge, Rizoma Avio blinkers+plate holder, 28t front pulley, Trask outboard billet belt support, Motohooligan air box, VFRID4, Finishline billet clutch basket.

Wishlist:
BST rear rim, ceramic rotors, Rizoma 3ple tree and plate arm.
BeelzeKnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
v-woodman

Thanks for the replies, but I was told the break away won't work on the screaming eagle because of the pin in the break lever is to small. I magine that!
v-woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
riderf
Registered Full

Does anyone know if there is a way to take the Harley 77196-08 Cruise Control kit they use on Touring models and make it work?
riderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Luigit
Sleep is over-rated

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderf View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to take the Harley 77196-08 Cruise Control kit they use on Touring models and make it work?
PM rustg. I think that was the unit he used
Luigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I have H-D kit 77183-02 for FLHR and FLHRI (Road King) installed and fully operational on my VRSCX.
Myself and Dpierce02 tried to get one for a 04 FLHT working but were unsuccessful. He bought it on E-Bay so we are not sure if the unit was good or not.

The difference between the two according to electrical schematics was the tap point for the Speed sensor.

I doubt any kit that is to install on a throttle by wire bike (77196-08) will work since this would require some programming changes somewhere (ECM maybe). The Road King kit is fully self contained and does not depend on anything from the bike except power, ground, rpm and speed sensors. It's a mechanical attachment to the throttle body.
From what I have seen of these '08 kits is you change out the handle bar controls and that is it. Everything else that is needed is already there on the bikes so equipped with Throttle by wire.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. - Mark Twain
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
remphoto
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I bought one of these and it works very well on my R:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...Q5fAccessories
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
riderf
Registered Full

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
I have H-D kit 77183-02 for FLHR and FLHRI (Road King) installed and fully operational on my VRSCX.
Myself and Dpierce02 tried to get one for a 04 FLHT working but were unsuccessful. He bought it on E-Bay so we are not sure if the unit was good or not.

The difference between the two according to electrical schematics was the tap point for the Speed sensor.

I doubt any kit that is to install on a throttle by wire bike (77196-08) will work since this would require some programming changes somewhere (ECM maybe). The Road King kit is fully self contained and does not depend on anything from the bike except power, ground, rpm and speed sensors. It's a mechanical attachment to the throttle body.
From what I have seen of these '08 kits is you change out the handle bar controls and that is it. Everything else that is needed is already there on the bikes so equipped with Throttle by wire.
I figured as much. I appreciate the share and the validation.
RIDERF
riderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
Y2KRunner
Registered Full

When did Harley add cruise control on the VROD? I don't use mine much on my '08 but it works well when do.
Y2KRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
BeelzeKnut
Soul Stumpy

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
RustyG, how much did that setup run you, and was it much of a hassle to get it installed?

*Haud Caedes Vacuus Tributum*
08 DXA, Fitzgerald Motorsports 1487cc big bore, Penske Triple adjustable racing shocks, Traxxion AK20 front cartridges, Wegners custom exhaust, BST front rim, Rizoma Aero 17 mirrors, Rizoma 09 bars, V- Gauge, Rizoma Avio blinkers+plate holder, 28t front pulley, Trask outboard billet belt support, Motohooligan air box, VFRID4, Finishline billet clutch basket.

Wishlist:
BST rear rim, ceramic rotors, Rizoma 3ple tree and plate arm.
BeelzeKnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
Luigit
Sleep is over-rated

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeelzeKnut View Post
RustyG, how much did that setup run you, and was it much of a hassle to get it installed?
I saw rustyg's setup. He mounted the main control box on the belt side cover above the front sprocket. Due to the size of the unit and the necessity of the cables to be straight, not much option on where to mount it on our bikes. Even if the cables were to be shortened, this system does not deal well with sharp bends. Love the idea but cant imagine leaving that honking box on the side like that.
Luigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KRunner View Post
When did Harley add cruise control on the VROD? I don't use mine much on my '08 but it works well when do.
Harley does not have a cruise control for a V-Rod.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. - Mark Twain
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
Daniii
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto View Post
I bought one of these and it works very well on my R:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...Q5fAccessories
That's what I have. It works great, but it's not a cruise control, its a very handy throttle lock. I find I wouldn' tuse the cruise much if I had it. Its too much fun to scoot around traffic.

This is as amusing as watching chimps in a zoo, only without having to dodge flung poo. (Coonass)
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement