Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Airbox Cover Paint Shield

970 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MegaZ 
#1 ·
Well, y'all know they came OEM with 3M-like clear film to protect the paint from friction with the seat, right? If you have your tins painted, you'll lose this, but a lot of good painters might fab a new one for ya. In this pic is my original...poorly made with scissors from a tracing of my OEM film. When applied to the cover, it was too small and the paint got smudged. I am having the tins re-painted in House of Kolors candy red true-fire (so far, the tins look black in the shade, but set ablaze in the sun). I made a template out of my original film and extended it out by about 5/16" and found a bowl (I love my stone knives and bearskins improvisations) with the same arc so I could cut it out smoothly with a box knife.

Before I throw out my template, anyone want a shield? I have a few feet of film left over from various projects.

See less See more
#10 ·
Shipping tomorrow

Tips...I've never used the soapy water technique before, and maybe you haven't. I sat on the seat to see where it likes to be with me on it, and applied 3 pieces of long mask (blue) masking tape...one at the top and one on each side, onto the airbox cover about 1/8" above the contact point of upholstery to paint. Then I removed the cover and laid it on pillows and towels until that section of the cover was level. I filled a 2-quart container with warm water after squirting about a teaspoon of liquid dish detergent in it. Then I removed the backing from the shield and dunked it in the water, making sure the shield cupped some suds. You can then apply the shield to the cover up to the tape pieces. You can slide it around for a second or 2 before the adhesive grabs at some place. Once you are (quickly) satisfied that it is in the desired postion, use a credit card or Bondo-style putty knife to squeegee the water out from the center.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.