Got a HD garage door opener, it does not work. - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
snakecharmer
06 SE V-Rod

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got a HD garage door opener, it does not work.

I had my dealer to install the HD garage door opener while the bike was in for service. I have not even gotten to testing the unit from the bike, the receiver that you splice into the garage door opener is my problem. It has power, and the two wires are plugged into same two wires that are used by the existing wall unit, but it will not activate the door. I confirmed that I have the correct two wires, as if I unplug them the existing wall unit will not work. This is a Liftmaster opener, a fairly common unit.

Any ideas?
2010 Corvette ZR1
snakecharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
mustanggt
Will Work For Mod $$

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Did you mate the new opener to the door motor or is that not necessary with the HD unit??

'02, Weld Charger 5 Chrome Front & Charger 5 8.5" Chrome Rear Wheel w/ Metz 240, Trick Tank, 12" Smooth Ride Shocks, Keyless Ignition, CFR Pipe w/cone, PCIIIUSB, SE Filter, Top-Less, HID Low Beams, Air Horn, HD Drag Bars, SE Custom Solo Seat, Doc's Stage 1 Light w/ Strobes, LED Rear Turn Signal Strip, Side-Mounted License Plate Holder, $50 clunk nut & Lots of Shiny Chrome.

'09 Street Glide, Black Pearl, Cruise, Security, ABS & Monster Ovals.
mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
groovy V-Rod
Member #415

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
You need to "Mate" the Transmitter (on bike) to the Door opener.

EDIT: I gotta learn to type faster..........
groovy V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
snakecharmer
06 SE V-Rod

I have not gotten as far as getting to mating the bike to the receiver yet. The receiver itself won't trigger a door open if you hook it up and push the botton.
2010 Corvette ZR1
Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
VenomousSVT
1130cc Ninja

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecharmer
I have not gotten as far as getting to mating the bike to the receiver yet. The receiver itself won't trigger a door open if you hook it up and push the botton.
well you will need to program the opener to the door so that they are on the same frequency
metz 260, Legend AirRide, progressive 2" fork lowering kit, Destoryer bars with stock gauges deleted, Vgauge lite, CFR exhaust, PCIII usb, K&N, Rear fender delete, HD knurled collection accessories, custom side tag mount, sundowner rider seat, custom LED taillight with integrated signals.
Flickr Photo Gallery
VenomousSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
bigjim50010
Registered Full

im with them.... you need to mate the unit with the receiver. Meaning hold the button down on your receiver while you activate the unit by toggeling your head light switch......presto...openo..........you can unplug the harness from the back of the receiver and do this while on your bike.

Fear of a Black Planet

Bike Avatar compliant since '08
bigjim50010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
mrblack
'06 D Denim Black

Don't mean to hijack but, I have the openerand it recently stopped working. I had the dealer install when I bought the bike. So I'm not even sure where it is located. Anyone got any troubleshooting advice?

Thanks, Sean
mrblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
VenomousSVT
1130cc Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblack
Don't mean to hijack but, I have the openerand it recently stopped working. I had the dealer install when I bought the bike. So I'm not even sure where it is located. Anyone got any troubleshooting advice?

Thanks, Sean
try doing the steps bigjim described and "relearn" the transmitter
metz 260, Legend AirRide, progressive 2" fork lowering kit, Destoryer bars with stock gauges deleted, Vgauge lite, CFR exhaust, PCIII usb, K&N, Rear fender delete, HD knurled collection accessories, custom side tag mount, sundowner rider seat, custom LED taillight with integrated signals.
Flickr Photo Gallery
Old 08-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
snakecharmer
06 SE V-Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousSVT
well you will need to program the opener to the door so that they are on the same frequency
I'm obviously not making sense here. The problem is NOT between the bike and the Harley-supplied opener. The problem is between the Harley-supplied opener and the opener itself. I wired it into the terminals on the back of the opener per the instructions, but when you push the button on the thing it does nothing. That's just a hard-wired connection. It says nothing in the instructions about having to "mate" that to the house unit.
2010 Corvette ZR1
Old 08-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
VenomousSVT
1130cc Ninja

Quote:
I'm obviously not making sense here. The problem is NOT between the bike and the Harley-supplied opener. The problem is between the Harley-supplied opener and the opener itself. I wired it into the terminals on the back of the opener per the instructions, but when you push the button on the thing it does nothing. That's just a hard-wired connection. It says nothing in the instructions about having to "mate" that to the house unit.
so the main unit that wires into the actual garage motor itself is what is not operating properly..hmmm

it makes more sense now as to why you were confused Eric.
Flickr Photo Gallery
Old 08-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
Rickg61
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If you short the two terminals you hooked the HD unit to on your garage door, the door must trigger (Open or close) or you have the wrong terminals.
Rickg61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
snakecharmer
06 SE V-Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg61
If you short the two terminals you hooked the HD unit to on your garage door, the door must trigger (Open or close) or you have the wrong terminals.
Pretty sure I have the correct ones, as if I unplug the two wires that are in it, the wall-unit that came with the door opener does not work.
2010 Corvette ZR1
Old 08-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
bigjim50010
Registered Full

Snake,
Ya got a button on the wall to open the door? All i did was loosen the screw, wrap one wire to each terminal in the button, tighten the screw back down, replace back on to the wall, plug the reciever into a wall outlet. Presto...Openo....Dunno if this helps, but its an easy troubleshoot.

Fear of a Black Planet

Bike Avatar compliant since '08
bigjim50010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #14
snakecharmer
06 SE V-Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim50010
Snake,
Ya got a button on the wall to open the door? All i did was loosen the screw, wrap one wire to each terminal in the button, tighten the screw back down, replace back on to the wall, plug the reciever into a wall outlet. Presto...Openo....Dunno if this helps, but its an easy troubleshoot.
Yeah, I was trying to avoid tapping it there, as I have no nearby electrical outlet to plug it into.
2010 Corvette ZR1
Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #15
BlueCamel
Skunked 2003 VRSCA

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by what you refer to as "the button on the Harley-supplied opener". I never let confusion stop me from being helpful though!

Harley door openers are basically three parts, a key fob transmitter, a transmitter that mounts on the bike, and a receiver that mounts in the garage and gets wired to your existing opener.

See this for picts and descriptions:
http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...889-plist.html

Product ID: 91569-01 - Remote Control Garage Door Opener Key Fob
Product ID: 91562-01 - Remote Control Garage Door Opener Receiver
Product ID: 91561-01A - Remote Control Garage Door Opener Transmitter

You refer to the button on the RECEIVER which is hardwired to your existing door opener. To my knowledge the only button on the RECEIVER is a small tab -like button located between the slots below the LED area. See the photo at http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...01_L_1798c.jpg

This button won't open your door. At least, on mine, this button does not open the door. This button is used to program, or mate, the RECEIVER with the TRANSMITTER that is mounted on your bike. (I assume you have the bike mounted transmitter and not the hand held key fob.)

If you're expecting the little button on the hard-wired RECEIVER to open your door I think you're out of luck.

After you wire up the RECEIVER to your existing door opener you need to mate it with the bike. Technically they could have done it for you at the shop but apparently they didn't.

Hope this helps.
BlueCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement