V Rod Oil Pressure Gauge Install - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Randy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
V Rod Oil Pressure Gauge Install

Has Anyone Installed A Mechanical Oil Press Gauge?
I Would Like The Low Down On A Parts List.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Feedback Score: 106 reviews
I am in the planning stage "still". I was going to try and use a electric gauge as I do not like to risk a leak in the line. If members here would like a mechanical gauge I will work on that. It would make my job easier.

The problem with the install on the V-Rod is the current pressure switch is a beast to get at. I am working on another route that will be much easier.

If anybody has suggestions on where to mount the gauge I would appreciate the insight. Electric gauges would be minimum 2 1/16" while the mechanical could be 1 1/2".
Call me at 920-860-0116 for ordering. Best times will be after 5pm weekdays or anytime weekends.
Contact me directly for forum member pricing as Authorized Dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted rates publicly.
Get DEALER COST immediately on your first order by following these instructions. Purchase at dealer cost.
o2man98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
nic_a_bod
"A" is the only way

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I bought a mechanical one yesterday, the electronic one I was looking at was really bulky and it looked like it had a huge piece that had to tap in somewhere to get the reading anyways and send it via wire to the gauge. So my questions is where is the best place to tap into to get a good reading that will show problems if they should happen?
nic_a_bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Max
Color me Gone

Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Nic the stock location is just behind the left side of the front head in the top of the block. It is hidden by the cam chain housing. I would think that is a good place to monitor pressure but there may be others as well.

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Jan-Dirk
Autobanmod

Mine is tapped to the oil line from oil filter outlet to engine.
I can post a picture tomorrow.
And thanks a thousand times for sending me this pm, I found your thread about the water pump intermediate shaft and VRTURK's reply.

In my case the oil pressure gauge did indeed safe the engine from severe damage, it's definitely a MUST HAVE.
Jan-Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I took my unused boost gauge and converted it into an electric oil pressure gauge. Run it off the stock location between the heads and just stick the small square digital readout unit onto the handle bar behind the brake master cylinder. Works well.

Mike
Old 04-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
nic_a_bod
"A" is the only way

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Nic the stock location is just behind the left side of the front head in the top of the block. It is hidden by the cam chain housing. I would think that is a good place to monitor pressure but there may be others as well.
yeah that's what I kind of figured after I got looking in the manual for the pressure switch. That's where I'm going to put the t at to run the line to the gauge, it's going to be a tight fit tryin to put the plumbing in for it but it should work. The electronic one diffently wouldn't of worked, but also it was a cheap one at 20 bucks so maybe if I found a more $$$ one the part that reads the pressure might be smaller and would fit in there. I just got thinkin about the switch that is there now what kind of output does that have, is just an on off switch or does it put out a reading the computer looks at? Cuz it would be simple to run some wires from it to an electrical gauge depending on the output, (guessing from elgavilan's the switch does put out a pressure reading?)
nic_a_bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Red-Rod
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgavilan
I took my unused boost gauge and converted it into an electric oil pressure gauge. Run it off the stock location between the heads and just stick the small square digital readout unit onto the handle bar behind the brake master cylinder. Works well.

Mike
Do you have any pictures of your set up?

Winner of the Key West Fantasy Fest Biggest VROD Competition.
Life time member of the Florida Drunk Drivers Association
2005 Quickest Stock VROD ¼ Mile
First Place Winner of the Kelly’s Pub Beer Recycling Contest
Red-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
DallasV Rod
Dallas V Rod

Yeah, lets see some pics!
DallasV Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
Jan-Dirk
Autobanmod

The fitting is attached to the engine oil inlet coming from the oil cooler.
I think the english description for bolt is BANJO BOLT
It's according German DIN7643 "Hohlschraube"

They simply drilled a new hole into the old bolt head and cut the thread by hand for next suitable smaller banjo bolt to fit in.

I believe that "Parker" would be a suitable supplier for the US, check this link. http://www.parker.com/search/search....IN+7643&stt=AS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4492.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	75268   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4493.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	75269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil gauge fitting location.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	75272  
Old 04-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
Jan-Dirk
Autobanmod

The OEM location for the oil pressure switch (see Max post above) might technically be more suitable, we chose the engine oil inlet bore because it's easy to access.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Clever Jan-Dirk
Old 04-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
DPierce02
Banned

this probably wont help most of you because i put mine in the fairing. i wanted to put in an electric gage but couldn't find a suitable tee that would allow the use of an electric sender and still use the idiot light sender.

i tried a dual sender that had a contact for the idiot light but the sender was to large to fit in the area between the cylinders.

see pics for what i used. i have also attached a pic i got from a turbo install that i think would work for an oil pressure gage but i didn't want to tap my filter housing. Max may be able to confirm if this is the same pressure as the sender tap.

hopes this helps

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vrod oil press tap_1.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	75308   Click image for larger version

Name:	vrod oil press tap_2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	75309   Click image for larger version

Name:	vrod oil press tap_3.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	75310   Click image for larger version

Name:	vrod oil press tap_4.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	75311   Click image for larger version

Name:	vrod oil press tee_1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	75312  

Name:	Turbo oil pressure tap.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	75313  
DPierce02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #14
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Dennis,

The filter mount is the position I was most recently considering.

I am just not sure that it is worth the effort to put these kits together. I have the parts but not sure where to mount the gauge. I want the electric gauge as I do not the leak risk of mechanical gauges. Do downside of the electrics is the price.

How much would everyone be willing to pay for an electric gauge kit?

Where would everyone like to see a gauge mounted? Think 2 1/16" Autometer for quality.
Call me at 920-860-0116 for ordering. Best times will be after 5pm weekdays or anytime weekends.
Contact me directly for forum member pricing as Authorized Dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted rates publicly.
Get DEALER COST immediately on your first order by following these instructions. Purchase at dealer cost.
o2man98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #15
DPierce02
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2man98
Dennis,

The filter mount is the position I was most recently considering.

I am just not sure that it is worth the effort to put these kits together. I have the parts but not sure where to mount the gauge. I want the electric gauge as I do not the leak risk of mechanical gauges. Do downside of the electrics is the price.

How much would everyone be willing to pay for an electric gauge kit?

Where would everyone like to see a gauge mounted? Think 2 1/16" Autometer for quality.
Ken you have probably have seen it but a guy on ebay is selling a temp and oil pressure gage kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...QQcmdZViewItem

not sure if the oil pressure is electric or mechanical dosent say.

Dennis
DPierce02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement