Modify VRSCA exhaust baffles? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCA , VRSCAW
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-19-2006, 03:07 AM   #1
glhouston
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Modify VRSCA exhaust baffles?

OK, I've read a few posts saying the stock V-Mods are too loud. Has anyone considered removing then altering the stock baffles and reinstalling? How about installing different baffles altogether?
I'm looking to get the same sound as the 16G pipes, but want to retain the stock look. I'm also running endcaps. I've listened to the SE Slip-ons and honestly can't hear much of a difference from stock.
glhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
englishman09
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Listen to a set of SE slip-ons that have been modded by knocking out a small deflector so that you can see a penny sized hole straight through. I have them and I really like the sound. Robert.
englishman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
glhouston
Registered Full

I'm assuming you mean without the baffles being removed? Can this be done with the stock pipes as well? What about ecm upgrades or flashes with this mod?
glhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:13 AM   #4
xrystl
Registered Full

Use the "search" function and check out (drilled pipes) - on an A if you drill 8x1/2 inch holes the sound is almost like the 16ga just more mellow and better to live with over any distance , try it first with 3/8th" and then go bigger if that sound doesn't suit you - stock air cleaner will mean no other extras are required .
xrystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Kevman7
Kevman7

I'm looking to replace the baffles in my SE 16ga.dbl barrel. Does anyone know of an aftermarket baffle for these pipes?
Kevman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
curley03
Been there done that

Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I searched ebay under motorcycle muffler baffles and came up with a hundreds of good ideas. BUT remember any change will mean that you will have to remap and or dyno your bike. I just changed from samson street sweepers with a small baffle to a CFR without baffles. 1st ride with new set up bike runs for shit. Now back to the dealer for remap. I first drilled out the OEMs and it sounded like a put put motorboat IMOP and others big time power loss. listen to you tube v rod mufflers. curley
curley03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
MechsHands
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
Use the "search" function and check out (drilled pipes) - on an A if you drill 8x1/2 inch holes the sound is almost like the 16ga just more mellow and better to live with over any distance , try it first with 3/8th" and then go bigger if that sound doesn't suit you - stock air cleaner will mean no other extras are required .
So you are saying that if you drill up to half inch size holes that no remap or tuner is needed? The bike comes from the factory running on the lean side. Won't this lean it out more and thereby increasing temps?
MechsHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
yzf1999
Registered Full

V-MOD pipes are NOT too loud...they sound perfect for the bike, deep low tone
yzf1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
V-Modded stock pipes are the best sound exhaust.Probably the best performing mufflers on a stock engine.
Anytime you mess around with the exhaust on a V-Rod,the program needs to be changed in the ecm to match the new air flow.
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
kimara
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhouston View Post
OK, I've read a few posts saying the stock V-Mods are too loud. Has anyone considered removing then altering the stock baffles and reinstalling? How about installing different baffles altogether?
I'm looking to get the same sound as the 16G pipes, but want to retain the stock look. I'm also running endcaps. I've listened to the SE Slip-ons and honestly can't hear much of a difference from stock.
G'day mate,

I have the stock mufflers with the VMOD Series II cut. I believe the original VMOD just drilled out the centre baffle and left the big hole and it was a tad loud. My series II cut is not that loud but has a nice deep note. I think that the VMOD series II cut actually removes the original baffle and replaces it with one that a little louder. I had it explained that the sound level is between the original VMOD cut and the Stock standard sound.

I reckon is sounds great. I have also had a huge improvement is low and mid range power (with power commander + map) compared to when I had the BuB Jug Huggers fitted. They sounded great but too loud for the neighbours and I lost some power as well.

Hope it all works out

cheers

Niko
kimara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
also.If you would do a search in the exhaust section of this forum,you will find I have posted the difference in sound from an 1130 with V-Mods and a 1250 with the quiet mods.
Big difference between the 2 engines and the 2 exhausts.
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #12
icreepin
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzf1999 View Post
V-MOD pipes are NOT too loud...they sound perfect for the bike, deep low tone
So then I am going to assume thats the pipes you have on your bike? Did you add the air filter and PC
icreepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
kimara
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by icreepin View Post
So then I am going to assume thats the pipes you have on your bike? Did you add the air filter and PC
Yep, I have the OEM pipes with the slash type mufflers and VMOD series II cut. I have the K&N air filter and PC with the map supplied by VMOD. It runs great, plenty of low down torque and it gets a real growl when you open up the throttle. sounds good but it is the quietest 'non - stock" system that I have heard so far.

cheers

Niko
kimara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
yzf1999
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by icreepin View Post
Yes I have my stock pipes vmodded..with a K&N filter..also have a power commander with a map from Fuelmoto...bike runs flawless and sounds Awesome!! My night train friend says my exhaust note is the best sounding motorcycle exhaust he has ever heard. I will never run anything else...
yzf1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
capngeo
George

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I gave away a set of V-Mods and installed the "Big Hole" SE pipes.... Much quieter at idle, yet plenty of roar when its romped on. Just about the same fuel map for both.

If the SE slip-ons were the "little hole" ones... they are just about the same as stock

The World's ONLY "Firefighter Special Edition" V-Rod

Ol' Bubba, Popes of Hell MC

You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot o' experience...
The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement