Squeaky drive belt?? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 07-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Dan Phillips
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Squeaky drive belt??

Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with an aggrivating squeaky drive belt? I have had the belt tension checked and adjusted but continue to get squealing sounds. This only happens when you are actually on the throttle and putting load and tension on the belt. I just recently purchased this V-Rod and it has a chromed aftermarket rear pulley by Preformance Machine.
Anyone got any idea's for me.
Dan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
mnerren
Registered Abuser

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Phillips
Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with an aggrivating squeaky drive belt? I have had the belt tension checked and adjusted but continue to get squealing sounds. This only happens when you are actually on the throttle and putting load and tension on the belt. I just recently purchased this V-Rod and it has a chromed aftermarket rear pulley by Preformance Machine.
Anyone got any idea's for me.
Get louder exhaust.

I had the same issue with a chrome pulley, I am not sure if it squeaks now, cause I can't hear if over my exhaust. I was told by some people that this is common on chrome pulley, others say it indicates improper belt tension, others say put belt dressing on it and others say don't dare put belt dressing on it. So, I was planning on the Bub Rinehart exhaust anyway and when I did it, it went away for me. So, I am not sure what the right answer is, due to conflicting opinions on this topic. I was told it doesn't hurt anything.

I almost forgot.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
LL Cool K
Insane inda membrane

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Look here... and welcome.

http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41469

In loving memory of Betty Boost! 1929-1996
Winner of the 2012 Midwest Thunder7 Johnny Hotfoot Award... Best Rat Bike!

LL Cool K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Mine did that also and I had good results by getting the belt to track so it was not hard up against either side and using some NAPA belt dressing. Spray it on a rag and rub it on the belt edge. The squeak comes from the real smooth and slick chrome finish, I suppose you could roughen up the chrome on the inside edge of the pulley and fix it that way, but it would not look to good.

Mike
Old 07-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
trickvrod
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have some theories on this....

For one thing, the belt wanders around on the front pulley like a drunken sailor.
Just take the cover off and watch it (or video it) as you run. Mine wanders from outter flange until it rubs the frame depending on what I'm doing with throttle.
I think the solution to this is an inner flange on the front pulley.

What I think is causing the noise is pulley wear. I've experienced it twice now.
First on an aftermarket aluminum pulley. Within a few thousand miles it had severe wear and squealed like a banshee. New pulley (HD 28T) and it was all quiet.

The I put the PM stuff on. The rear pulley was very unstabile due to the fact they only use a single row ball bearing and it's not even on the center of the thrust which causes it to wobble with every rotation.
I corrected this with by modifying the pulley to accept a second bearing and it got a lot more stabile. Unfortunatly the damage had already been done and the chrome was worn off half the teeth already. The chrome is there to prevent wear. 10,000 miles later the tire is worn out and so is the pulley and it's squeeling pretty good too. Running the belt a little loose helps, also I use lubricants like belt dressing, white lightning, wax or...

Assuming you don't have the install messed up where it's rubbing on something or the belt's too tight, noise is caused by worn teeth or improperly formed teeth (in the case of one aftermarket pulley I bought that howled something terrible when brand new.)
trickvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
drodder
1 Person Biker Gang

HD sells a lube called POLY-OIL #99860-81. It is a paste that comes in a squeeze tube. I jack up my bike so you can turn the rear tire. Use a old tooth brush and squeeze a little on the brush and as I turn the tire brush between the teeth on the belt as it turns. It is quiet and smoother using this. I have been using it on my bikes for 6 years and very happy with it.

Vivid w/demin
SuperTrapp Fatshots
SERT---Twin Scan ll+
B reach bars
12" Progressive 440's
HD slipper clutch
drodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

[QUOTE=trickvrod]I have some theories on this....

For one thing, the belt wanders around on the front pulley like a drunken sailor.
Just take the cover off and watch it (or video it) as you run. Mine wanders from outter flange until it rubs the frame depending on what I'm doing with throttle.
I think the solution to this is an inner flange on the front pulley.

The belt should track straight if the rear pulley is running true,it should stay centered in the rear pulley and not rub the guides exessivly..The 2 guides on the rear pulley is what keeps the belt from running off of the front pulley.I learned that the guide on the outside of the front pulley is there for saftey purposes.
My belt hit my frame too.The weaving in the belt was broken and caused this.I believe my belt broke from high rpm launches w the 30 th sprocket.My original compensator bowl has marks a 1/2 an inch to the forward outside edge from the cush drive squashing out and the pulley still ran true.
With my new setup,I have watched the belt,cover off,while riding and it tracks true.

Elrod on the V-Rod
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement