Front motor mount - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
Max
Color me Gone

Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Front motor mount

I think the change was made in the 05 model but this shows the difference between the late model mount and the early 02 mount and as you can see a broken mount. The old mount and top plate is on the right and the arrows point to the torn spots on the mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount01.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	50686   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount02.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	50687  

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Cheatin
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I must of been one of the luck one's, mine is still the original mount, still going strong. I've checked it with a pry bar and it doesn't budge. Good info for anyone having issues with theirs.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
bproulxvrod
Screwed by Eagle H-D

Feedback Score: 35 reviews
I only replaced mine because I had the motor out when I had the chassis painted. Just as a safety measure.

2003 100th Anniversary VRSCA bagger edition
bproulxvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
vrodcustoms
Ray Connor

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatin
I must of been one of the luck one's, mine is still the original mount, still going strong. I've checked it with a pry bar and it doesn't budge. Good info for anyone having issues with theirs.

Cheatin, that is because you are not as hard on your bike as Max is. He's always doing hole shots and wheelies. You can also hollow out hotdogs and shim your mount.

On a serious note, did you ever notice any vibration that transfered from the motor to the chassis Max or was this just something you found? I guess I am asking could you tell a difference when you installed the new one?
vrodcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
How was it getting them big hands in there the change those kids
VrodG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
Max
Color me Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrodcustoms
Cheatin, that is because you are not as hard on your bike as Max is. He's always doing hole shots and wheelies. You can also hollow out hotdogs and shim your mount.

On a serious note, did you ever notice any vibration that transfered from the motor to the chassis Max or was this just something you found? I guess I am asking could you tell a difference when you installed the new one?
Ray I checked the mount because I thought I noticed an increase in vibration at the 3-5k rpm range. I just put the mount back in tonight after taking the pictures and will update if it changed my vibration after my first test ride.

Cheatin prying on the mount won't tell you much, it is captured. Meaning it is pinched in between two layers so it cannot get out. But when I checked mine by lowering the motor and using a mirror and light I could see the center torn out.

Oh and Ray thanks for all your help.

Max

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
Max
Color me Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrodG
How was it getting them big hands in there the change those kids
Round trip took me about 1.5 hours and it is the first time I had done one so it took me a few minutes to see how to do it. I did the update so I changed both front and rear brackets with the mount Greg. It is a little tight to get the bolts out of the front head. Make sure you have a short socket with an 8mm hex.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #8
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I've already done mine thats why I was asking
VrodG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:32 PM   #9
Danno
Wretched Excess.....

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I changed mine for the 05 version when I was chasing a rattle between 4500 and 6000 RPM. If I remember, mine was starting to crack but hadn't torn through yet. I just purchased the mount and reused the top plate after removing the rubber bumper.

Max, did you notice any difference in the top plates other than the round rubber bumper??
I was told: It's not a matter of if you'll go down, but when.... Been there, done that and forgot to get a T-Shirt..... Kuryakyn Levers? Just say NO!!!!________Life is NOT the internet! Get out and ride!!
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:48 AM   #10
Max
Color me Gone

Danno, no the top plates are identical after you pry the rubber bumper off. I measured both to see.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:21 PM   #11
Bulkman
Chuck

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Ray I checked the mount because I thought I noticed an increase in vibration at the 3-5k rpm range.
I just turned over 8k on my '04, and the last few weeks when I crack the throttle to pass someone, or just get on it a bit, I feel the vibration at about 5k too. Not real bad, but definitely noticeable since it always ran silky smooth before when I punched it.

If I am understanding your comments in this thread correctly, you actually have to remove it to verify if it's cracked?

Thanks...
---------------------------------
1130cc of liquid cooled, fuel injected, V-twin perfection.

'04 A, Smokey Gold / Black - Force turnouts - DFO - K&N - Topless - Cheatin-mod drag bars (internal wirin') - 200 Metz - skulls everywhere
Bulkman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #12
Max
Color me Gone

Chuck you can see the cracks if you take the bottom nut off and the washer but it really requires a light and a small mirror to see it. Not only was my original mount broken but it had also sagged. The rubber in the new mount felt much firmer so I assume there is a lot more to the new mount then just the center support as well.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #13
Bulkman
Chuck

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the clarification Max, I'll check it out.
---------------------------------
1130cc of liquid cooled, fuel injected, V-twin perfection.

'04 A, Smokey Gold / Black - Force turnouts - DFO - K&N - Topless - Cheatin-mod drag bars (internal wirin') - 200 Metz - skulls everywhere
Bulkman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:20 PM   #14
smoothrod
Bone Stock B Model

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Damn it Ive been chasing a rattle around 4500 to 5000 too, I wonder if mine is shot also? Better get one on order!
smoothrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:07 PM   #15
vrod kev
SOLD

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrod
Damn it Ive been chasing a rattle around 4500 to 5000 too, I wonder if mine is shot also? Better get one on order!
I think I may have to join you on it
Advertisement