Dunlop vs Metzeler Vrod tires - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
VRODpgs
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dunlop vs Metzeler Vrod tires

For those of you who have tried these tires, is there much difference in preformance, handling ,mileage and tread wear.
I have between 8 and 9 K on my rod and had to replace the stock Dunlop two times due to punctures. The first at 2500 and second at 6500. At about $195 per tire plus installation it's quite and expense. Local dealer price the Metzeler's at about 40 to 50 dollars more, but if one gets some improvements might go that route next time. Also are there other brand names tires available for the rods other than the two mentioned above, and what are your comments on these. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.
VRODpgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
TBAG809
Vrod-less...........

The Metzlers handle much better than the Dunflats. You will notice the difference right away. I`ll never use Dunflats again.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
CaptClose
Ryan

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't know how well the metz would resist punctures compared to the Dunlo(pos) but the metz handle much better and I am hoping to get more miles than the 3200 I got with the stock tires.
CaptClose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
Yarvis
Official bike nut

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRODpgs
For those of you who have tried these tires, is there much difference in preformance, handling ,mileage and tread wear.
I have between 8 and 9 K on my rod and had to replace the stock Dunlop two times due to punctures. The first at 2500 and second at 6500. At about $195 per tire plus installation it's quite and expense. Local dealer price the Metzeler's at about 40 to 50 dollars more, but if one gets some improvements might go that route next time. Also are there other brand names tires available for the rods other than the two mentioned above, and what are your comments on these. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

I will chime in here if I may. I had Michelins on my R12c, at right under 7k, they needed replacement. I went to Metz's Marathon 880's. Night and day difference in all aspects especially wet weather riding. I have had Metz's on 3 bikes, excellent tire, long lasting (they still look brand new with over 2k on them) great handling in both wet and dry conditions. I also hear that Avon Venoms will be a good choice for our rods. Have almost 1.5k on my Dunlops now and when it is time for replacement, I will be looking at either Metz's or Avons.
2001 BMW R1200c Phoenix

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ---John Lennon.
Yarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
Phreak
SB-XLII or Bust...

Quote:
hoping to get more miles than the 3200 I got with the stock tires.
Wow - I'm at 8500mi on the original tires with plenty of wear left...

Hi Kelley!!!
Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #6
myke15
What the F**K!?!?

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dunlop D208 tires are much better than the stock D207. They have much better grip and corner handling but they still kind of stink in the rain. If you replace the tires with Dunlop OE, go for the D208. The ME880 are awsome. They are very sticky and have good wet weather traction, but they have a short tread life. (Dunlop D207 will last the longest). The Dunlop tires are more suited for sportbikes. They have higher speed ratings and are more resistant to heat. Sportbikes handle a lot differant than a V-Rod and get the outer edges of the tire really hot on a track. For that kid of riding (think Moto GP) the Dunlops are the best. But for performance on a V-Rod, go with a Metzler ME880.

Dunlop also has a new tire out made specifically for the 2006 SE. I'm wondering if anyone has a review of it?
myke15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #7
Kokse
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak
Same here, I am at 5,500 and plenty of wear left. However I do get the skating effect if I really lean into a turn. Therefore I want to give the Metz a try next time.
Kokse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
sburke91
'04 1300

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I recently went from my (mostly corded) stock dunlop to an ME880 (200 size). The ride is better, the wet weather handling is better, but the bike does turn in a bit slower than it did with the stock dunlop. I'm not sure if it's due to the slightly bigger size or the tire, but it's a data point for you.
SE Heads, Jones Cams/Valves/Springs
Destroyer TB and Injectors
CP Pistons
Bub 7 2-1
Delphi/SERT, sometimes TSII for tuning
Lots of other bits and pieces
Coming someday (if I ever get around to plumbing it):
sburke91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #9
CaptClose
Ryan

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak
I did have plenty of tread left also. It's just that the front tire cupped so badly that a replacement was required. My bike felt like I was skating around every corner and the front end felt like it fell into every slow turn. I am sure if you switched to the Metz, you would notice an improvement, even if you have no complaints with the stock tires.
CaptClose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
BeerMe
"Keg Security"

200 Metz......www.motorcyclemart.com $141.00 plus $17 shipping. I'm very happy with the look and handling.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
vrocket
Registered Full

Dunjunk

I recently had the same problem of cupping with plenty of tread left. Contacted my Harley dealer and they told me they had never seen this. Go figure their service dept doesnt do service they charge for. Sent DUNJUNK a letter and never did get a response. They are owned by GOODYEAR. I can tell you from past experience of goodyear. They will never admit to a problem. Any way switched to Metzler and love them. Rode in the rain recently and was 100 times better then DUNJUNK. Will never go back. Their tire grips the road better peroid. Good Luck
vrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:58 AM   #12
TexasV-Rod
Ducking for cover!

Having the same problem with my front Dunlop. It's cupping but not yet enough for replacement. I have a lot of tread left on it, too.
TexasV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:16 PM   #13
skipmccall
Registered Full

your air pressure is too low on your front tire. that is why it is cupping. run somewhere around 38-40 lbs. little firmer ride, but no cupping.
skipmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #14
TexasV-Rod
Ducking for cover!

Nope... always have run 38PSI. The problem is it's a Dunlop. Thanks, though.
TexasV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #15
ABQNMVROD
Registered Full

$211.88 for both Metz, stock sizes

have never pushed either tire hard, dunlops or metz, so can't really speak on performance- can't tell the difference around town.

but got the metz based on wide praise on the forum for them. Paid $211.88, including tax, for both the front and back tires from local Yamaha dealer, R&S Yamaha in Albuquerque.
ABQNMVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement