Side-mount to rear mount license plate - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCB
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
bmeenan

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Side-mount to rear mount license plate

Hey all.

Spent a lot of time searching the forums and elsewhere. Was hoping someone could offer some advice. The previous owner of my 04' VRSCB did quite a bit of customization and it's all good but some items I want to change. One thing is to switch from the current side-mount license to a rear mount. I know this has been discussed before but I just couldn't nail down an answer to what I'm trying to do. Apologizes if anyone has to repeat themselves.

Situation is:

Current setup is billet-style (I think) side mount plate that's actually a part of the passenger left footpeg itself. Non-stock (again I think billet-style) turn signals mounted and wired from the inner fender that wrap around and sit along the lower side of the fender.

Would like to go with a rear-mounted plate. Currently when I look under the rear fender there are just holes in the plastic where I think the whole original stock plate bracket and signals used to be. I'm fine with the current signals for now but would at least like to relocate the side-mount back up to the rear but I think that means new a mounting bracket and plate frame to light up the plate.

One thought I had was to just go back to stock and get myself the original dog a$% plate and signals. Other thought was to stick with the current signals, and either fabricate (that would be a challenge for me but I'll go for it) or buy a non-signal rear mount plate and bracket if I could find where to purchase one.

If I found the right plate with the right lighting, I might even be able to remove the current signals. Would love a tidy-tail like solution but not sure there's much I can do about that with the current rear light and going down a path where I'm picking up a new rear fender. Not ready for that yet.

Anyway, any and all advice or thoughts are appreciated. Eventually I'd like to lose the signals too and have an all in one solution but for now, I'm just looking to get the plate back up on the rear end. Lots of after marker solutions out there but nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for.

(With that plate out on the left I hold back on leaning into left turns because it feels like the plate is going to kiss the ground if I lean at all. Plus I like the look of the plate on the rear anyway (I grew up on dirt bikes!)

Some pics attached that I had here at work but can take closer details of the current side plate or under the rear fender if anyone would like.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04vrod-2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	570.8 KB
ID:	195034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121230_152147_813.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	731.2 KB
ID:	195042  
bmeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There was one or two nice metal DA replacements back a few years ago. Polished stainless or chrome, forget which, very minimalist without the turn light mounts.
Here's one with turn light holes, more than I think it should be but give you idea. You can get a stock take off from someone for free or even only around $60 new.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/382-852
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
bmeenan

Less is more

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. Been bouncing this stuff around in my head for days and going a little crazy over it.

I'll let you know what I end up with. Most likely back to OEM stock with original signals and then take it from there once I have some experience with what was there when she rolled off the line.

I'm definately going minimalist / less is more like you picked up on.

Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm never a fan of the asymmetric side mount things. I've seen some decent mods to the stock DA to minimalize it and there have been opinions expressed over the years that even trimming all the lower part away and leaving the edge that supports the rear fender helps the tail lamp last longer.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Rift
Registered Full

When I removed my da and added the led strip for signals radiantz lighting offered seperately a plate adapter that should still work for you if da is removed add a lighted plate frame good to go. Think together it was make $60 for the parts.
Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
killerVRod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
That is the strangest sidemount I have ever seen on a V. Most every sidemount mounts to the lower shock bolt.

The rear signals are also weird. Looks like they were trying to make a traditional harley out of a V.

-Keith
Custom Lapis Blue V-Rod (Rick's 240 Lector wheel setup,chrome swingarm,Rizoma bars,signal relocators,LED rear lights,V-mod pipes,Custom cut sidemount plate,11.5" SmoothRide shocks,spike grips,Custom cut mirrors, 3" tribal forward controls)
http://www.alteredstatedesign.net
killerVRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
bmeenan

Yeah I'm not sure what the previous owner was going for but ... to each his own. This is my first Harley and I did it on a bit of a whim. Knew I wanted a V, there it was, and she kind of called out to me. I've learned a lot since then and still have more to learn.

She's going back to the dealer for some minor tweaks covered under the 1 year warranty that came with the bike and then it's back in my garage to get serious.

Plates going back on the rear end - most likely OEM turn signals and all. That will give me a chance to see what's going on under the fender wiring wise.

Tins are getting pulled and painted - low key something like a dark dark red or grey. Solid color is just fine with maybe a HD stamp. Wildest I'd go is maybe an big solid stripe from the air box all the way back or something like that. Also probably going to pull and replace the passenger friendly pillion and rack for the more stream-lined pillion. It's all about less is more. I think the engine speaks enough for itself (but that's just me).

If I just didn't have to work and had all the time and money I needed - might have everything done by March!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Acid666
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Killervrod makes a nice side mount for a great price. Hit him up if you're interested in modifying and getting a better side mount.

I'm moving my plate to the side with his mount, and I'm installing a custom made Radiantz led strip on the rear to completely get rid of the stock dog ass and stock turns. It's clean and all you have to do is modify the dog ass a little. It's a perfect fit if you decide that the stock rear setup is too big and bulky.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
jon1zc
Life is great!

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I went with the LED strip across the rear of the fender. Originally had KillerVRODs side mount but went to back mount w/o DA. Check out my gallery for some pics. It's just a plate mounted by a couple of bolts under the rear of the fender (thru the holes in the LED Strip).
jon1zc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement