Painting engine cases and pulley cover - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
I'm faster
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Painting engine cases and pulley cover

I have polished engine cases on my 05 b. I want to black my bike out. I've been looking for night rod engine cases but there either scratched up or expensive. One question is do the night rod engine cases fit on the 05 B? I believe it's going to have to be a older night rod since I need a 1130cc case or do the 1250 cases work? Sorry if thts a dumb question I'm new to Harley's lol. Comparing to my dads 09 muscle the clutch right side case won't work because he has a dipstick there and it's a little different. But the left side case looks the same I'd did some quick measurements and they seem to be the same.

My next question is they need to be ceramic coated since the get hot correct?

I also want to get my chrome front pulley cover black also. That can be powder coated though since it does get as hot right? Or should I have that ceramic coated aswell so it matches the cases perfect?

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1357736097.521655.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	193515   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1357736119.839500.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	193516  
I'm faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
Jmc256
Registered Full

I am interested to see what you find out, I to would like to do the same to my B.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Jmc256 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
VFRDYLAN
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Find a used set of covers and have them powder coated. You do not need to have them ceramic coated as the temperatures are not that extreme (unlike an exhaust).

The benefit to PC it that it will hide most scratches and give a great finish with less cost then custom painting.

Alternatively, you can take your existing cases off and have them PC'd, but then you can never go back.

I am in the process of restoring an old trail bike for my daughter (3 years old) and just have the frame, swingarm, triple tree & cover + gas tank done for $300. This included prep & blasting the parts.
VFRDYLAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
I'm faster
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRDYLAN View Post
Find a used set of covers and have them powder coated. You do not need to have them ceramic coated as the temperatures are not that extreme (unlike an exhaust).

The benefit to PC it that it will hide most scratches and give a great finish with less cost then custom painting.

Alternatively, you can take your existing cases off and have them PC'd, but then you can never go back.

I am in the process of restoring an old trail bike for my daughter (3 years old) and just have the frame, swingarm, triple tree & cover + gas tank done for $300. This included prep & blasting the parts.
Ok thanks for the info. Is the left side engine case compatible with all the Vrods? Comparing to my dads 09 muscle they sure look the same. But the right side is not

Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Demthios
To boost or not??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Up I can vouch for the fact that all the covers on the bikes are the same EXCEPT the muscle clutch cover, and that's due to the dipstick being over there for the dual exhaust. I've put all 05B engine covers on my 11 Muscle cases with the above exception. One thing if you are going to have them PC make sure that CLEAN the inside of the cases good before putting them back on. Otherwise you will have major problems down the road, and not very fair either as the sand from the PC sandblasting will get into the bearings and ect.
Demthios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
stomper
REVOLUTION !!!

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
DO like I did and paint them with BBQ paint -- check out my gallery -- did this 2 years ago and still looks like new ... One good weekend and you are all done.. Takes more time to tape the motor off then paint, etc..
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm faster View Post
Ok thanks for the info. Is the left side engine case compatible with all the Vrods? Comparing to my dads 09 muscle they sure look the same. But the right side is not

muscle dip stick will be in the clutch cover while all other will be in the block.
VrodG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
I'm faster
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demthios View Post
Up I can vouch for the fact that all the covers on the bikes are the same EXCEPT the muscle clutch cover, and that's due to the dipstick being over there for the dual exhaust. I've put all 05B engine covers on my 11 Muscle cases with the above exception. One thing if you are going to have them PC make sure that CLEAN the inside of the cases good before putting them back on. Otherwise you will have major problems down the road, and not very fair either as the sand from the PC sandblasting will get into the bearings and ect.
Ok cool thanks for the help
Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
marwelljim

I Fu--ed up my covers on a 2013 f took cover off and powder coated them and love it cost 200
marwelljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Rift
Registered Full

Just be careful powder coating anything on the engine if you go with that. There are horror stories of what it can do if not done properly.
Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Sorry didn't read Demthios's post.
VrodG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Demthios
To boost or not??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VrodG View Post
Sorry didn't read Demthios's post.
Its okay I'm married used to being ignored
Demthios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
I'm faster
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
Just be careful powder coating anything on the engine if you go with that. There are horror stories of what it can do if not done properly.
Ok thanks I'm looking at some cheap ones with chrome bubbling. Won't they have to be sandblasted before painted anyway? I'm consider painting them with BBQ paint if it works good like he said. I have a sandblast booth so won't tht cut cost on labor if I get them powder coated?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
stomper
REVOLUTION !!!

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
All my covers are powder coated and the cases, jugs and heads were spray painted.
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm faster View Post
I have polished engine cases on my 05 b. I want to black my bike out. I've been looking for night rod engine cases but there either scratched up or expensive. One question is do the night rod engine cases fit on the 05 B? I believe it's going to have to be a older night rod since I need a 1130cc case or do the 1250 cases work? Sorry if thts a dumb question I'm new to Harley's lol. Comparing to my dads 09 muscle the clutch right side case won't work because he has a dipstick there and it's a little different. But the left side case looks the same I'd did some quick measurements and they seem to be the same.

My next question is they need to be ceramic coated since the get hot correct?

I also want to get my chrome front pulley cover black also. That can be powder coated though since it does get as hot right? Or should I have that ceramic coated aswell so it matches the cases perfect?

You can purchase my black Night Rod Special for $6500 with 45,000 miles
It runs good and has an 1130cc engine.
I can deliver to Deleware for free. That'll save you a bundle .
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement