Can you guess what models where made by - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Can you guess what models where made by

The new guy at Triumph who used to be HD employee?
While wandering around the Bike show last month one of teh Triumph people stated that "Yeah theres a guy who used to work at HArley now doing stuff for Triumph" and said it in a "We wish he wasnt" tone.
I didnt look at them until I visited my local dealership the other day.
I would give you a hint but it would seem unfair.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	572.3 KB
ID:	193497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	567.7 KB
ID:	193498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1240.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	193499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1239.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	536.7 KB
ID:	193500  
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
boscoe
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Imitation is the sincerest form of unoriginal thinking.
boscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
Imitation is the sincerest form of unoriginal thinking.
Is it Imitation if you hire away the guy who was designing them?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
They all do it sooner or later. However, that tank, that set-up, that look has been done and redone since before the "designer" was born, with the exception of the dual head lights.

Ironically, the first, the 57 Sportster was a bit of a rip-off of Triumph.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
BT
I lift heavy things.

More clues please.
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
Muscled_up
Registered Full

lookalike fatbob, softtail gauges, they all copy one another now buy a Victory lol

167 RWHP
103 FT LB

Garrett GT25 Ball Bearing Turbo
Custom Built Headers
Custom Built Exhaust
Barnett HD Clutch
Dynojet Quickshifter
SMT Billet Hand Grips,Pegs,Shifter
BPP Belt Guard
440 Progressives
Metzelers
RRC Screen
Custom Air Brushing on Tank
Custom Tank Badges
Joker Machine controls,mirrors and mini LEDs

Gloss Black Powder Coating on:
Peg hangers
Brake and Gear arms
Back Rack
Wheels
Pulley & Cush Drive

Saddle Bags When travelling
Muscled_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Cowpieapex
Registered Geezer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Request for the "Designer"

I will always welcome more choices of more bikes (even Chinese?), and I'm eternally grateful for the survival of Triumph, but they don't need to design another ersatz Harley, they need to find a designer to remove that unfortunate chrome tumor from the left side of the Rocket's tank.

Congratulations too to Lux for selecting a Triumph that embodies the original heritage of the mark. More pictures of that one please.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Yeah, I don't know how well they're selling but the Triumph Thunderbird (major yawn) really seems a waste to me. Besides not even being an attractive bike I think they missed the market they were aiming at. I can't see anyone buying a mega displacement parallel twin. To be really successful a motorcycle, or other vehicle, needs to have character and the T'bird is just a bland souless lump of metal. Rather than charcter, it's a caricature of a motorcycle.

Just as I still believe HD missed major market opportunities in making a true Sport Touring Revo, I think Triumph built potentially the best large displacement long range touring bike, Rocket 3, then dumbed it down to make it look like a limited duty cruiser. Could be a true Goldwing beater.

Overall I like what Triumph has accomplished and the products they're building. The Sprint, Tiger and Speed/Street Triple models are fine bikes. And while the Bonneville based models are intentionally retro, and a couple of them real yawners, the Scrambler and Thruxton have real character and a growing following.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
boscoe
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
Is it Imitation if you hire away the guy who was designing them?

Yes, if you "borrow" the styling clues.
Think HHR vs PT Cruiser.
boscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpieapex View Post
I will always welcome more choices of more bikes (even Chinese?), and I'm eternally grateful for the survival of Triumph, but they don't need to design another ersatz Harley, they need to find a designer to remove that unfortunate chrome tumor from the left side of the Rocket's tank.

Congratulations too to Lux for selecting a Triumph that embodies the original heritage of the mark. More pictures of that one please.
I have a Speed Triple and can attest to Triumphs building better bikes than ever. I want to ride the Rocket III (yeah, paint the chrome tumor on the tank - maybe the new roadster doesn't have that). Has anyone here rode the Rocket and what did you think? On topic though, Harley has had nice styling all along and no doubt their styling will be immitated. What won't be immitated is their lack of technical innovation which leads to average ride, braking and handling (except the V-Rod of course).
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Youlz
04 VRSCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilliam1 View Post
I have a Speed Triple and can attest to Triumphs building better bikes than ever. I want to ride the Rocket III (yeah, paint the chrome tumor on the tank - maybe the new roadster doesn't have that). Has anyone here rode the Rocket and what did you think?
Closet I came was sitting on one in Fargo ND. (Middle of winter, wasn't a good time for a test drive) Hoping to try one this spring But for the size of the thing, it was pretty comfortable.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Not trying to hijack this thread but I thought this video of the Rocket III was cool:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...-ar123236.html
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
andy b
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
Yes, if you "borrow" the styling clues.
Think HHR vs PT Cruiser.
the same guy that penned the pt loser for chrysler also designed the HHR for Chevy, but the HHR is 1000 times better built & reliable. i know - i work for extended warranty company for 11 yrs now & don't do any HHR claims at all, compared to the pile of junk pt loser.
so i bought a HHR SS, with the 2 liter turbo - 290 hp from only 2 liters - the little wagon screams!
andy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

I test rode a Rocket III many years ago, left me with a Impression alright, I don't ever want to ride one ever again impression. I dont get the Big Heavy bike "Thing", The Asian bikes that copy HD are all Very big and heavy for some reason, make the HD's they are coping look skinny.
This Triumph is a weird bike, cannot say I like it, Cannot say I love it, would I ever buy it? No, not even sure I would want to ride it. has some things about I do like, which makes it better then Any Victory bike on the road. Their Tiger line up Really borrows Heavily from BMW styling too which I found Really surprising.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilliam1 View Post
I have a Speed Triple and can attest to Triumphs building better bikes than ever. I want to ride the Rocket III (yeah, paint the chrome tumor on the tank - maybe the new roadster doesn't have that). Has anyone here rode the Rocket and what did you think? On topic though, Harley has had nice styling all along and no doubt their styling will be immitated. What won't be immitated is their lack of technical innovation which leads to average ride, braking and handling (except the V-Rod of course).
Did a test ride a few years back. Awkward at parking lot walking speeds and the combined torque effect and swingarm jacking make pulling away from stops into a right turn at a light interesting but once underway it's real fine. A BIG bike for sure and on the highway a real dream of a ride. Plenty of go and could pull a train. Rides well, stops well feels good on the road.
Advertisement