V-Rod vs V-Twin - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Hi-Performance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Mr Bill
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
V-Rod vs V-Twin

What would it take ( modification wise) for an Air cooled harley (96,103,110) to beat a stock V-Rod? Obviously alot more than a stock v-twin I would hope. Surely somebody out there has run a few v-twins from the red light. Thanks for any response. Ride safe, Bill
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Lady F
Nicole

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
What would it take ( modification wise) for an Air cooled harley (96,103,110) to beat a stock V-Rod? Obviously alot more than a stock v-twin I would hope. Surely somebody out there has run a few v-twins from the red light. Thanks for any response. Ride safe, Bill
Even with a Stage One or Stage Two kit I don't think the Air cooled have what it would take ... JMHO
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
josephthreedogs
reservation dogs

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Having raced both engines in the past(plus a lot of Kawasaki's) it is possible to build a very fast air head, but not real easy or cheap.
josephthreedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
LL Cool K
Insane inda membrane

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I dont' think it would be too difficult to build a Dyna or Softail with a 103 that would give a stock V-Rod fits. For about $4k, you could do a Fuel Moto 107", heads, cams, and pipes that would make 110+hp and 110 tq.

In loving memory of Betty Boost! 1929-1996
Winner of the 2012 Midwest Thunder7 Johnny Hotfoot Award... Best Rat Bike!

LL Cool K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
pwrman
Registered Idiot

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Zippers wanted 5k to make my Dyna run like my Vrod does showroom stock. Sold the Dyna, easy choice.
pwrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Registered Full

Location: Milwaukee/Lake Lac Vieux Desert (U.P. border, snowbelt)
I have two good friends one has a sporty with a built Evo, the other a FLHX with a nasty 113". They run like hell. If you ever have the chance to ride a big inch twin go for it. A Dyna with a 120R would eat most vrods.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
blubyubusa
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Air vs water cooled

The second fastest air head I have owned was a 02 Independence Freedom Express with a 100 in revtec. With no work I took it to a local eighth mile track and ran a 7.7 if memory serves me correctly. On my 09 Vrod with tuner pipe and a pulley change I have a few 6.9, but generally a 7.0 or seven teens. I have taken several stock harley both twin cam and evo and have never run any better than a eight second or so pass.I did have a dyna that I bought at an auction and was told that it had a 120 inch motor,(my fastest air head) it did have good S and S heads, and ran a best of 7.49. None of this answers you question. A friend says if I will buy one of the big inch Ultima motors, he will go thru it and make sure it is ok. That will cost between four and five thousand total. He did one himself and his eighth mile speed is 103. My best vrod pass is 101, do not know his time. That should out run my vrod. I would love to have a air head that would outrun my vrod and have the same durability.
blubyubusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
thunderoad
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I ride with guys that run 96ci, 124ci and a 127ci, that damn 127ci softtail is the only one I am having a hard time staying ahead of him...too bad I tune his bike as well..LOL. down shifting into 2nd gear at 80mph is a must to get that jump ahead of them after that only the 127 is able to move up on me.....good luck
thunderoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Suburban
Registered Full

With enough money and time you can make almost anything go fast. We used to run a Chevy Chevette with a small block V8. It was fast. Handled like crap, but in a straight line was a beast. A silly car for sure, but fun.....
Modified Twincams can go fast if you change lots of expensive parts. Reliability will definitely be worse. VRods are great "out of the box" and fairly simple mods can make them even faster if you so desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
smkblwr
Registered Full

Well i have a CVO Ultra that had a 110 in it. and no way the stock 110 will compete with V. Long story short I have a 117 torque built motor in it now. I haven't been to the strip with it but from the butt dyno I think it would be closes but it would be a HP vs Torque vs distance thing. Ultra putting out 117hp/130ftlbs & a 6sp with a 32tooth pulley, V 115hp/82ftlbs 5spd with a 28 tooth pulley. Ultra 400lbs heavier but Torque is what moves it. The V "should" take it due to having more wind"rpm band" but should run out of steam top speed wise before the 117 in the ultra. but I don't know by how much I think it would be real close.
Smkblwr
IBA Member 45500
smkblwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
rippie74
1130cc is enuff 4 me

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You can make an air head v twin faster than a VRSC. You'll just have to dump boat loads of cash into it.

Iceberg Blue 8K H.I.D. Conversion
Sundowner
Fender Base Plate/Low Sissy Bar/Luggage Rack
UE Trick Tank
Keyless Ignition Upgrade
Slipper Clutch
Drilled Belt Guards
Superchicken covers
100th Anniv. Windshield
Topless
SE2 Cams
Chromex Coated CFR
Amsoil
Metzeler
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner

http://vreelandsharley.com/?page_id=674
rippie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
losNRS
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippie74 View Post
You can make an air head v twin faster than a VRSC. You'll just have to dump boat loads of cash into it.
But we can do the same with increasing the bore and stroke to about 80-82 ci's. That would put us in the 150's hp and with greater gearing and rpms. I've stated before: My 93 Softail weighs around 640 lbs, and has a 120" engine and 6 spd tranny, pumping 126 hp and 130 tq at the wheel. Granted, the engine was installed just as it came out of the crate with no modifications, other than running a RB Racing 2-1 pipe. When my V had only a cfr tuner and pipe, beat my bike by a substantial margin. Now with the SE cams, SEPST (dyno tuned} and Rineharts 2-1, the V eats the Softail. 76" ci vs 120", that's impressive. Yes, I know it also comes down to the rider and his abilities and experience. But for now, anything around 124" and down, the V takes them out. The day I get wupped good and hard by an air cooled 2 cyl bike, then it'll be time for the big bore upgrade. Problem with the V is that many try to ride it like a Harley, instead of a high revving bike and understanding where the power comes and peaks. Just my opinion and experience.
losNRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post

Go to AXIS 101 in South San Francisco....He builds airhead racing baggers that'll beat your vrod in a blink of an eye.

axis101.com
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
slim_b_kool
Registered Full

vjlp

I have ran several different air-cooled bikes and have yet to see a really stout one. I ran a cvo softtail with 110 no contest. I ran another softtail with 113 still no contest. Had a buddy with a built evo in a dyna no contest. I ran a guy with a dyna with a built 103 still not even close. I have been running a few metric v-twins lately and they don't do any better than the HD v-twins. I was told by a tech at my local dealer that the closest thing you could get from HD that would be close to the vrod was to take a dyna superglide and put the SE120r motor in it and then you would have a close race. As far as metric v-twins, the yamaha raider is as close as you can get but the vrod will still win.
slim_b_kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
phobby
Registered Full

My best friend has a 2012 Wide glide 110 engine completed a stage four on it a couple months ago. He can pull a car length on my F when we hit 100mph. I only have a K and N air filter, Vnh exhaust, and a pretty good tune with my SERT. His bike is very strong and other than a base tune for the kit he added. HD told him to break it in before he put it on a dyno.
phobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement