Hole in the Radiator - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
miked4d69
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hole in the Radiator

Ok guys I have a quick question for you. I am leaking coolant. I took the front radiator cover off and cleaned up and looked around. There is deff a spot that has damage and is slowly accumulating liquid, I also know with as much damage as there is from the rock or what ever repairing is out of the question. But my problem is this. There seems to actually be 2 parts to the radiator. The top larger piece which is the radiator itself and a bottom smaller piece which I am guessing to be the oil cooler. But here is the thing. The damage is on the lower part. Shouldn't I then be losing oil not coolant? or does both oil and coolant run through this part? Sadly I can't get a pic due dropping my Fing camera and breaking it while trying to get a damn picture! lol
miked4d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Top is antifreeze and bottom is oil.

Check the clamps at the top of the radiator on each side, this might be where your antifreeze is coming from.
VrodG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
miked4d69
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrodG View Post
Top is antifreeze and bottom is oil.
Yeah, that is what I figured. So my guess is I actually just discovered a second problem.

*EDIT* Yeah I checked all hoses, no signs of liquid any where but this location, upper section was totally dry no white dust showing signs of dried coolant or anything. But I've been steadily checking the puddle that's been showing up under the bike and it is deff coolant.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked4d69 View Post
Yeah, that is what I figured. So my guess is I actually just discovered a second problem.
Check my edited post above
Old 01-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
miked4d69
Registered Full

Quote:
Check my edited post above
haha same to you
Old 01-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Radiators are not hard to repair but can be exspensive to replace. Take it to a radiator shop and see what they say.

I made grills for the radiator openings (they sell them on ebay too) just for this reason. I'd hate to be touring and have a stupid rock spoil the trip.
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
miked4d69
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilliam1 View Post
Radiators are not hard to repair but can be exspensive to replace. Take it to a radiator shop and see what they say.
Yeah I know what can and can't be repaired and with the damage the culprit caused it would be hard to be repaired. The 300$ cost of the radiator isn't to bad. I can do the work myself.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

check the reservoir tank too.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
miked4d69
Registered Full

Yeah I actually have a set I never put in *face palm*. But I actually think the rock has caused damage to the oil cooler. I am now not sure where the antifreeze is coming from. I checked all hoses made sure they are tight. No actual signs of leaking any where except on the oil cooler. I know what oil looks like, I also know it leaves a stain on concrete. What is coming out dries and leaves a nice white dust on the ground but no stain. So I think my oil leak is a problem but apparently not a big one due to there is basically no oil any where except right where the damage is. So I am off to search for the location of the coolant leak.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
miked4d69
Registered Full

Quote:
check the reservoir tank too.
checked. It was perfectly full until I turned the bike on to try and make it leak. It then drained down to nearly nothing, I'm guessing this is to compensate for the leak. But it is on the shifter side of the bike. and coming from inside the radiator cover so it is deff a leak in that general area.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #11
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked4d69 View Post
Yeah I know what can and can't be repaired and with the damage the culprit caused it would be hard to be repaired. The 300$ cost of the radiator isn't to bad. I can do the work myself.
Who quoted you $300?
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #12
Vrod Rod

If it's coolant coming from the shifter side radiator cover, it's worth checking the radiator drain plug. It's located in there behind some wiring and has been known to leak.

Cheers Rod.
Vrod Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #13
Rift
Registered Full

I would check on the price as well. I was recently in an accident and was told that it is a $800-$900 dollar part. Of course I'm not going to get the best price in my situation nor have the luxury to shop around bit that's a huge difference.
Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
miked4d69
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
Who quoted you $300?
I'm going off of webprices. New from the stealer they are $529.99
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
miked4d69
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrod Rod View Post
If it's coolant coming from the shifter side radiator cover, it's worth checking the radiator drain plug. It's located in there behind some wiring and has been known to leak.

Cheers Rod.
Sadly I checked there and it was tight and nothing was coming out. Sadly I have searched the bike over and cannot find where it was coming from. The leak seems to have stopped. But I'm guessing that's just because it needs to be warmed up before it starts to leak again.

But I tripple checked the spot on the oil cooler and it for sure is oil leaking from it. Very slowly but it is leaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement