Help with oil leak 2003 VRSCA - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCA , VRSCAW
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
swtrod
2003 VRSCA

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with oil leak 2003 VRSCA

Last night I took the bike out for a 100 mile ride. This morning I went to wipe down the bike and noticed there was oil on the right side of the motor. I started searching for the leak and noticed there was oil inside the air box. I also noticed that the back hose on the air box wasn't hooked up. So I wiped all the oil I could find and put the bike back together and hope that's all it was. I took it out today and 60 miles into the ride I noticed there was oil on the right side again. Any thought on what or where this oil might be coming from.
swtrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
HoneyB
Pat (Patrick!)

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Has the oil been changed recently, and maybe over-filled?
Tiger Racing belt guards, Pondo's pivot bolt covers & 'V' valve stem caps, Tyson's black riser and foot levers, Metzler ME 880's, black 5 spoke '08D wheels and rear pulley, Mini LED rear signals, Progressive suspension, Jeannie Guardian Bell!(so far!)

1978 Honda XL350 (w/4300 miles on it!)

Jedi:"It's free to be a member, but it'll cost your ass in the end..."
HoneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
More than likely it is the breather tube that was disconnected. Check it out to ensure it is not cracked and is properly secured. Clean the air box thoroughly. It is normal to have a oily mist in it. It should not be puddling but just a fine mist.

on your 2003 there should be two worm clamps securing it to the cyl head cover and the air box.

There are two breather tubes, one for each cylinder. Check the other one. It is a short tube between the lower air box cover and the front cylinder. Make sure it is properly secured. A lot of times, when replacing the lower box air cover this front tube is not connected to the cylinder head properly resulting in oil leaks.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
swtrod
2003 VRSCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyB View Post
Has the oil been changed recently, and maybe over-filled?
I just bought the bike a month ago. I changed the oil as soon as I got it home. I put about 800 miles on since I bought it and there was no leaks till now.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
swtrod
2003 VRSCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
More than likely it is the breather tube that was disconnected. Check it out to ensure it is not cracked and is properly secured. Clean the air box thoroughly. It is normal to have a oily mist in it. It should not be puddling but just a fine mist.

on your 2003 there should be two worm clamps securing it to the cyl head cover and the air box.

There are two breather tubes, one for each cylinder. Check the other one. It is a short tube between the lower air box cover and the front cylinder. Make sure it is properly secured. A lot of times, when replacing the lower box air cover this front tube is not connected to the cylinder head properly resulting in oil leaks.
The back tube was disconnected when I found the oil, I cleaned all the oil off everywhere reattached the hose and tightened the clamp. I will check for cracks in the hoses. On the front hose on mine the bottom air box just pushes on the hose there is no clamp but it was pressed in good. I will check it out again tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
spiritwarrior
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
My guess it was the tubes. Not going to take mine apart to look, as I had the same problem when the bike was new and the dealer changed the battery. I'm almost sure both tubes should have clamps on them. At any rate other than making a mess once you fix it will be no damage. A bike that old as someone noted you probably have tubes cracked on the ends, just replace them and be done with it. My service manual is due in but did not arrive yet.

Last edited by spiritwarrior; 01-03-2013 at 12:36 PM.
spiritwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
swtrod
2003 VRSCA

Took it apart again today. I cleaned all the oil off looked at both hoses and tightened all clamps. Both hoses feel real hard so I called harley today and they are in stock. 1 is 1.50 and the other is 3.50 so I will pick them up on Saturday and just replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

according to my 2003 parts manual there should be two worm clamps for the rear tube and one for the front.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
swtrod
2003 VRSCA

All the clamps were there and loose. I tightened them for now but I will replace the clamps win I replace the hoses.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Dr Dave
Buy American!

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It seems that you may have a breather canister that is not properly stopping the oil from migrating into the airbox.

Click here and read, especially post 15 (which leads you to another thread wherein you should read post 9).

Ride it like your life depended on it.
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
swtrod
2003 VRSCA

I will look into that also. I will post up my results after I change both hoses and clamps.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

The top will come off that canister. It's difficult but perservere and it will come. There is a filter inside it that may need cleaning.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
swtrod
2003 VRSCA

Thanks for all the help. I will check all suggestions.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
swtrod
2003 VRSCA

Is the breather canister the piece between the two velocity stacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
spiritwarrior
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Just received my service manual. On the 2010's there is a clamp on the bottom of the hoses, but the hose inside the airbox just fits over a nipple. If you click on Dr Daves link in post 10, in this first picture, you will see the rod that holds the air filter in place. The canister is the round plastic thing behind it. Many folks think that changing to synthetic oil solves this problem. I'm not sure if that is true, but makes some sense. My only leak was when the bike was new, from a loose hose clamp.
Advertisement