Buffeting - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Mschrod

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buffeting

It has been a VERY long time since I rode last. My wife bought me a 2002 VROD; I have never ridden a Harley before and I am happy to say that I love it! I am experiencing something that I have never experienced before, and when I did a bunch of research the term I found was "buffeting". I am 6'-2" and weigh 212. The VROD has a windshield...but my head seems to be getting blown around anytime I go over 60.

I figured that I am too tall for the windshield; when I saw a picture of me on the bike the windshield barely comes up to my chin. So I bought a Laminar Lip which attaches to the windshield, makes it higher and helps a lot...but the problem is still there.

Is this something that I just need to get used to or has anybody else experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Mschrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
pScyko
Jarhead

I too had a windshield but found it pretty useless. My 2¢: Take off the windshield and distribute the wind evenly over your smiling face.

Vintage 2002 Harley Davidson V-Twin_Racing_Street_Custom_A_Model_V-ROD

De-badged vivid black & chrome
Weld Racing Charger5 wheels w/ matching pulley
Semi-topless
16Ga Screamin Eagle® headers
Screamin Eagle® Race Tuner
Unlimited Engineering 5.3 Gal gas tank
pScyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Windshield is crap, ditch it.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
DC1ESQ
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Im 6'1 and had the 500 $ harley quick release made my head chatter so bad my teeth hurt.. put it on dads 07 dyna for winter its like being inside a car

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Motorcycle.com Free App
DC1ESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
XvtxCrewzr
Crash Bandacoot

Lets see...you haven't ridden in a LONG time...and the wifey bought you a VROD..hmmmm...what'cha got as far as life ins??
'05 VRSCB,Sundowner seat with pillon,chrome side covers,chrome switch housings,chrome fuel cell covers,chrome brake/clutch resevoir covers,chrome engine kit,luggage rack,chrome swingarm,chrome upper/lower belt covers,pivot covers,chrome rear slotted wheel and pully,chrome girly hand levers,kuryakin grips,Avon Cobra's 200mm rear,power commander III with SE slip-ons and SE airfilter,and more chrome
Also a vintage '72 750 Norton Commando,and a Yammi XJ700 Maxim X
Now I'm REALLY
XvtxCrewzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1ESQ View Post
Im 6'1 and had the 500 $ harley quick release made my head chatter so bad my teeth hurt.. put it on dads 07 dyna for winter its like being inside a car

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Motorcycle.com Free App
then why not just take the car?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
starrzzz
Life's Circle

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
Windshield is crap, ditch it.
I'm a believer now....haven't ridden with the shield for almost two years now...also reverted BACK to a Badlander from the Sundowner.

Much better ride.
Aileron Hand/Foot Controls
SE 16g -Badlander- HD Hard Chrome Bags
RoadWinder Wheels
Rick's Tank
Pondo Covers
Custom Billet Headlamp w/ MegaZ Bracket
Chrome 440's Progressive Suspension
Custom Dynamics Stingerz Violet LED kit
KillerGlass with VIOLET coolant
Abi Custom Painted Horn Cover- "My Bird"
Custom "Infinity" www.bluegauges.com

Next: ?
oh wait... shit
starrzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mschrod View Post
It has been a VERY long time since I rode last. My wife bought me a 2002 VROD; I have never ridden a Harley before and I am happy to say that I love it! I am experiencing something that I have never experienced before, and when I did a bunch of research the term I found was "buffeting". I am 6'-2" and weigh 212. The VROD has a windshield...but my head seems to be getting blown around anytime I go over 60.

I figured that I am too tall for the windshield; when I saw a picture of me on the bike the windshield barely comes up to my chin. So I bought a Laminar Lip which attaches to the windshield, makes it higher and helps a lot...but the problem is still there.

Is this something that I just need to get used to or has anybody else experienced this?

What kind of windshield is it? I have a Supersport Windshield on my Street Rod (not designed for that bike but it fits just fine) and I am very happy with it. With morning temps in the teens I cannot ride without it. Tomorrow I take it down to Long Beach and the first hour and three quarters will be ridden in freezing or very close to temps. Even with everything including the heated vest on I can't do such winter riding without some wind protection. The guys who tell you otherwise are not out riding when I am.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
If you have a supersport windshield, flip the lower mounting bracket. Raises it up a couple of inches. Play around with the angle. I much prefer a windshield. Make it work for you. Mine is dialed in for me. Good luck. You will science it out. Joe
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 AM   #10
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTJAM View Post
If you have a supersport windshield, flip the lower mounting bracket. Raises it up a couple of inches. Play around with the angle. I much prefer a windshield. Make it work for you. Mine is dialed in for me. Good luck. You will science it out. Joe
Good advice if you have to run one ( or buy a bagger). Windshields are no different than bars, seats, extended reach pegs ect. You have to "FIT" them to you.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
thetryal
F2NV

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i have a wind shield, albeit for a muscle, i went to Ace hardware and got 1" post extensions and it made the windshield more upright. it now fits perfect. good luck
K&N filter
Topless ( . ) ( . )
26t Fitzgerald sprocket
260 Metzeler
Chrome Arnotts
Hanny risers
CCS-100 cruise control
thetryal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mschrod View Post

Is this something that I just need to get used to or has anybody else experienced this

I assume you've solid aluminum wheels, which push you in crosswinds.
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
steveiep68
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynurse View Post
I assume you've solid aluminum wheels, which push you in crosswinds.
Thats been mentioned plenty of times so i didn't want to ask again, but is that really the case? I have them (chromed) and do find cross winds a little un nerving but then i always have. I have also read that changing them for lighter ones will help the performance of the bike. But enough to actually notice?
steveiep68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Mschrod

Thanks everybody! I will play with it to see if I can max the wind blockage. Again, since I am new to Harley's the solid wheel never even crossed my mind...that would be a bummer because I find them to be very attractive.

Mschrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
stomper
REVOLUTION !!!

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Yes the solid wheels will get you pushed around by crosswinds but once you get used to it - it is no big deal...
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement