Convert forward controls to mid controls - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCA , VRSCAW
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
seajordan

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Convert forward controls to mid controls

I have a 08 VROD-CAW I bought new. Had car accident in 2010 that damaged my back. Riding my vrod with forward controls is too painful. I'm hopping that switching to mid controls will take some stress of my lower back. Any idea's on the best way to do this at a reasonable cost? I did look into floor board but not sure that will help as much as mid controls.
seajordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Floor boards might be the least expensive way to try initially.

Beyond that there a couple avenues to proceed. HD components or aftermarket.

For an A,AW models though the HD route gets more expensive as the brake side mount is blocked by the exhaust system. It means also going aftermarket or alternative model stock system, D,DX,R, or newer 2013 AW. The peg,pedal braket attches to the two bolts above and below the swingarm pivot. On the shift side you should have the frame attachment lugs there already, they are on the lower frame triangle cradling the fuel tank below the swingarm.

Aftermarket you had two options as well, V-Mod or Kosman Racing. You will need to be sure to get the kit that fits with stock pipes, if that is what you have. Cost new is in the $500-$600 range. Occasionally a set comes available used at reduced price, just purchased one my self for my B model.

The V-Mod and Kosman's for aftermarket pipes attch to the two bolts joining the lower frame section below the engine on either side. In the Kosman set for Stock A,AW type pipes the brake side attaches at the two swingarm pivot bolts and loops over the muffler.

The V-Mod and Kosman are both more "truely" mid mount where as the HD parts, originally from the R and D models are nearly rear-set and you may find them more cramping. If you can imagine the pegs with the HD mounts come out directly below the swingarm pivot, the pegs for the V-Mod and Kosman's are about 4" ahead of that.

Good luck with your decision and search.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You just need the mid control conversion kit
http://www.v-mod.com/shop/viewProduc...9,851&PID=4468

But I believe it would actually put more stress on your back.
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
As an after note, the HD kit parts will also cost you in about the same price range.

I just looked at the HD website and they still seel the Rduced Reach footpeg and control kits. These move the stock pegs back an inch or so. Not much but OK for some. There used to be the Reduced Reach handlebars as well but I no longer see them listed. The two in combination helped reduce what many call the "folded Taco" riding position these bikes have.
Advertisement