Brake pads - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
tom.linacre
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake pads

Anyone have an opinion about Kevlasr vs, Ceramic pads (performance in rain, dry life, etc)?
tom.linacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
upier
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
got a full set of ceramics. to have them when i need them
hope. they are the ones want ... have ceramics on my auto's and they seem fine. the one thing i do know is no dust or verry little.
upier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
stever975
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.linacre View Post
Anyone have an opinion about Kevlasr vs, Ceramic pads (performance in rain, dry life, etc)?
A popular pad for forum members is the LRB (Lyndall Racing Brakes) pads.

Forum sponsor Hogpro carries these. LRB pads are carbon-kevlar "organic" pads. For street use the Z Plus pads work best (longer rotor life and less dust than the higher performance Gold Plus or Red Plus pads).

An '04 VRSC with Kelsey-Hayes calipers would use P/N 7195-Z.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Hogpro
www.hogpro.com

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
We have sold several different pads over the years but I will like the LRB Z plus pads for the vrods the best. They have good performance, less dust, and tend to be less harsh on the rotors then a sintered pad like EBC. I have some in stock in you are interested. $105 for all three sets with free shipping to the lower 48 states.
hogpro@gmail.com

Hogpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
myotherworld
Registered Full

anyone know what the P/O would be for an 09 vsrcdx with ABS?
myotherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
SvFiat
Kidzap

ABS and non ABS use the same brake pads 09 and up.

Front 42897-08
Rear 42850-06B

SvFiat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
myotherworld
Registered Full

thanks for the info
myotherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Vrodholic09
Registered Full

I'll be getting them soon

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vrodholic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
Philthy
Registered Full

I have used both ceramic composite pads and organic kevlar pads.

Ceramic pads are for competition use. When cold they provide very little feedback through the hand lever, and require a great deal of lever pressure to stop. When hot they work fabulously which is why road racers use them, but in normal street riding you wlll not heat up a ceramic pad enough to get the full benefit. In wet riding they feel like the pad and rotor are both made of plywood. No feel, no stopping power. Horrible. They are primarily for road racing in dry conditions (you use sintered pads for wet riding at the expense of rotor life, sintered pads chew rotors up very quickly).

An organic Kevlar pad will give you full braking power and outstanding feedback when dead cold. They are the best choice for street riding because they do not have to be fully heated to work well, and they are very gentle on rotors. The only time they might not be ideal is at racing speeds on a road course, something hardly any V-Rod will ever see. Even for spirited back road hoons on a loaded sport touring motorcycle kevlar pads are a great choice. They are better in the rain than ceramic pads by far.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
A popular pad for forum members is the LRB (Lyndall Racing Brakes) pads.

Forum sponsor Hogpro carries these. LRB pads are carbon-kevlar "organic" pads. For street use the Z Plus pads work best (longer rotor life and less dust than the higher performance Gold Plus or Red Plus pads).

An '04 VRSC with Kelsey-Hayes calipers would use P/N 7195-Z.
I have to see which ones they are but put some LRB pads on my 04 about 1000 miles ago. Getting ready to take them off and go back with stock.

First time in 50k miles that I now have pulsing brakes and an uneven glazed look on my rotors.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4man View Post
I have to see which ones they are but put some LRB pads on my 04 about 1000 miles ago. Getting ready to take them off and go back with stock.

First time in 50k miles that I now have pulsing brakes and an uneven glazed look on my rotors.
I didn't like the Lyndals, everyone has a giant hard on for them and I burned through 2 sets damned quickly and always had a pulse etc... during the experience and at 120 goddamn dollars a set I was changing them out every 9 months ( I did call them once to complain that the pads wore out under 5000 miles and they said they had made a "Bad Batch" and sent me free set so their Customer service was great). Stock was just as bad as far as swish noise and not actually stopping my bike (and the 2002's have enough trouble stopping anyways with the braking system on them). I have gone to Kevlar and they work the best, last a good long time and I can find them for $50 a set online.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
stever975
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
I didn't like the Lyndals, everyone has a giant hard on for them and I burned through 2 sets damned quickly and always had a pulse etc... during the experience and at 120 goddamn dollars a set I was changing them out every 9 months ( I did call them once to complain that the pads wore out under 5000 miles and they said they had made a "Bad Batch" and sent me free set so their Customer service was great). Stock was just as bad as far as swish noise and not actually stopping my bike (and the 2002's have enough trouble stopping anyways with the braking system on them). I have gone to Kevlar and they work the best, last a good long time and I can find them for $50 a set online.
There has to be something in the pad other than just Kevlar.

As I mentioned above LRB pads are carbon-Kevlar or what some call organic-Kevlar pads. The Kevlar is used instead of asbestos. LRB sells three types: "Z plus" "Gold plus" and "Red plus".

I'm guessing you used the "Z plus" pads. These will wear out fast if you do a lot of mountain or corner riding that heats up the pads more than highway and normal stop and go. The "Gold plus" would probably be better and is likely similar to what you have now. These last longer but produce more rotor wear. I can't comment on the price. If you and your rotors are happy then that's good. You might mention the brand and model for better comparison.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
There has to be something in the pad other than just Kevlar.

As I mentioned above LRB pads are carbon-Kevlar or what some call organic-Kevlar pads. The Kevlar is used instead of asbestos. LRB sells three types: "Z plus" "Gold plus" and "Red plus".

I'm guessing you used the "Z plus" pads. These will wear out fast if you do a lot of mountain or corner riding that heats up the pads more than highway and normal stop and go. The "Gold plus" would probably be better and is likely similar to what you have now. These last longer but produce more rotor wear. I can't comment on the price. If you and your rotors are happy then that's good. You might mention the brand and model for better comparison.
I will have to dig them out as I bought 3 sets last time since I burn through rear brakes so much and cannot remember the name
Old 09-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
SvFiat
Kidzap

Stock HD pads seem to work fine here. Tried different makers didn't see anything but more rotor wear and went back to HD. Only reason I switched to other makers was for the supposed reduced dust factor and as I found out the only way to reduce the dust is not use your brakes.

SvFiat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

I just checked, what I installed are the Z-Plus. They'll be coming off as soon as I can get replacements.
Advertisement