Thinking about trading Road King for Vrod? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
XKnight

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about trading Road King for Vrod?

I've had my Road King for about 2 years and 12K miles. I really enjoy the RK and it's very comfortable for long rides, but it's also big and heavy and I've always wanted a Vrod so am thinking about trading in the RK for a Vrod. I really like the looks of the Vrod Muscle as well as the power and am interested in hearing opinions on its comfort?

I rented an older Vrod (VRSCA) a few years back for a weekend, put a few hundred miles on it and it fit me perfectly. Just not sure about the Muscle comfort wise so might have to see about renting one of those to make sure it fits right. I would definitely get a windshield for highway cruising and would have to get some luggage/bags to carry my stuff for the occasional overnight trips. I won't be doing any two up riding though and definitely have a need for speed.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
XKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
alex2494
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get the muscle (orange candy) and don't look back. Doubt you would anyway.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
alex2494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
AlohaMark
Registered Full

I think it would depend on your size/build. I'm 6"2" with longish arms (34 in a dress shirt) with a 34" inseam and the Muscle fits me perfect. I don't have to reach for the bar so no riser needed. I put a Fly Screen on mine and it knocks just enough wind off my chest so highway cruising is easier. Having said all that, I live on an island so I can't really comment on how comfortable it would be on a long cruise. But I think it would be fine.

The speed and acceleration is what hooked me on this bike. It's not exactly a sport bike (too heavy, limited lean angles), but still sporty enough to put a smile on my face every time I ride it-and its stock for now.
AlohaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
watto883
Registered Full

love my Muscle .... DO IT BRO !!!!
2010 Muscle / SERT / Tab slipons / KandN filter / airbrushed levers and horn / RSD grips / DX radiator hose, clutch cover, mirrors / tail tidy / Pirelli Nightdragons / Bicep's fork badges and front axel covers / Hanny's 1" risers / R&R headlight visor / Rizoma front indicators / Flipped and strapless !!!
watto883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
ManaMan
Registered Full

I had a '07 Road King, like you said heavy, but for me it was slow. My group of Harley riders would leave me in the dust when we would accelerate hard. Sold it and bought a '09 VRSCAW...now, I enjoy fresh air and hard acceleration.

I've done the usual...stage 1 upgrades, along with floorboards. And dropping front and back 1". Most comfortable mod was the floorboards...it fit easily around my V&H 2 into1 comp pipe, with minimal amount of grinding to clear the front pipe.

Love this bike, agile, light, and quick.
ManaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
BT
I lift heavy things.

Yeah the Muscle is ok I suppose......hahaha
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
RodKing
The Crusades

tI traded my 2009 VRSCAW for a 2010 Road King in 2010. Had that RK 18 months - missed the V Rod from the day I traded it in. Eighteen months later I traded my 2010 RK in on my
09 VRSCAW (that the dealer never sold). My V Rod had 10200 miles on it when I traded it in and had the same mileage when I got it back.....Riding is so much more fun now.

The VRSCA/W line was the most comfy for me. I tried a Muscle but it just was not as comfy as the AW. I'm 6'1" 32" inseam. 34" sleeve. AW fits me perfect - I do not have to "reach" for the bars they are right where I needed them to be. I do not know why HD discontinued the AW - but they are my favorite.

Your right about the RK they are heavy, underpowered, run hot, and are slow - But they are "somewhat comfortable"

I don't miss that RK at all. Good luck - any VRod you choose will be a good choice.
RodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
gritgolfer
It's Only Money

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
As you are well aware these are two completely different bikes. They both do some things well and other things not so good. If you ride two up very often and have a tall sweetie as a passenger, V-RODs IMHO don't work very well. If you do most of your riding one up, then V-RODs are great and I like mine for distance tours (one up). I had to break down and add an Ultra to my stable to appease the squeeze for two up riding. I love both of the bikes and can't imagine giving up either one sans emergency. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Snoozz
Registered Full

You asked your question on a VRod forum, so 1. Answers will be biased toward the VRod and B. your on the VRod forum so it looks like you are leaning that way too. It's all personal preferences, but I would pull the trigger on this of I was you.

Faster than the average bear.
Snoozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
boscoe
Registered Full

Traded my RK on a V-Rod. Don't miss anything except the bags. With a mini-fairing, the V-Rod is a great highway ride. Faster, more nimble and lighter.
boscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Don't do it, you'll regret giving up the comfy ride and fuel economy. Reverse psychology works. The Road King gets 50 mpg, compared to Muscles 37 mpg(if lucky).
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
boscoe
Registered Full

Just rode my NRS 200 miles - including 90 miles in pissing rain - to Daytona at night (with full-face helmet). Bike tracked well and was very comfortable. Really, I didn't even think about the RK.
My lady (who runs a CVO FATBOY) rode it home - and liked it, though at 5-foot-3 she'd like the pegs in a different place.
She took the NRS home because I crashed my race bike on the infield at Daytona International Speedway, was knocked out cold - and screwed up my left knee.
Oops!
boscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Snoozz
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
Just rode my NRS 200 miles - including 90 miles in pissing rain - to Daytona at night (with full-face helmet). Bike tracked well and was very comfortable. Really, I didn't even think about the RK.
My lady (who runs a CVO FATBOY) rode it home - and liked it, though at 5-foot-3 she'd like the pegs in a different place.
She took the NRS home because I crashed my race bike on the infield at Daytona International Speedway, was knocked out cold - and screwed up my left knee.
Oops!
Glad to hear you weren't more seriously injured. Sucks about the race bike though!

Faster than the average bear.
Snoozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I had baggers for years. I even turned a VRSCR into a roadrod. An RK is fun and comfy. The Vrod is lighter, faster, quicker, and more agile. SUCKS for a passenger. If you ride solo, it is a no-brainer. Get the Vrod. If you go slow, with a passenger, and don't mind the weight, keep the RK. Everybody is different, so get what fits you. Joe
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
JV Rod
Lifetime Premium

The Muscle can handle all your concerns. Since you didn't mention that you bigger than an NFL lineman or smaller than a Kentucky Derby jockey, I'd bet the fit will be okay too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement