Black chrome or black anodized - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Black chrome or black anodized

2007 Street Rod, Vivid Black and Mirage Orange, but more black than orange, including black wrinkle engine cases. A nice touch would be to either black chrome or black anodize the current bare aluminum engine covers, water pump and derby covers, valve covers, front pulley cover and maybe the swingarm. I am specifically not considering the powder coated DX engine covers.

What are the pros and cons of each finish? Which is more durable and which is less likely to be botched in a way that can damage the engine?
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Blach chrome is actually plated or a fancy name for a specific PC finish???

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Chrome sucks
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
and black anodized often fades to an 'eggplant' shade.

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..."
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
ohioVROD

Black Anodize is difficult because of the possible fading. To insure it needs to be sealed after the dye is applied which is common but you need to verify the place you use can handle your request. Make sure you speak to a representative of the company and make him/her aware of what the parts are and there function. IE external engine covers, exposed to sunlight and heat from exhaust.

With that said black chrome is awesome and pricey and there is only a couple companies in the entire US that actually do it in house. I wanted to do this to Big Red but the price was extremely high and needed to concentrate my funds to finishing the bike. I will one day have items black chromed.

Good luck keep us posted with you findings and what companies you go with and obviously before and after pictures.

Authorized dealer for Vance & Hines, MegaCycle Cams, CP Pistons, Brown's Plating, Carrilo Rods, ARP Studs, Falicon Crankshafts and Diamond Heads.

Services offered: Case Boring-26T Pulley-58mm Throttle Body-Slotting Sprockets-Pinning of Bearings-Custom Machined Wheels & Rear Pulleys- Engine Brace Kit

ohioVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
pwrman
Registered Idiot

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Black Chrome, a little mothers and it shines/cleans right up. JMO
pwrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Hogpro
www.hogpro.com

This place in Fresno does a Black Diamond finish which looks like a black chrome. Here is a link to their site describing the process.

http://www.wheelcreationsplus.com/chroming.html
hogpro@gmail.com

Hogpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioVROD View Post
Black Anodize is difficult because of the possible fading. To insure it needs to be sealed after the dye is applied which is common but you need to verify the place you use can handle your request. Make sure you speak to a representative of the company and make him/her aware of what the parts are and there function. IE external engine covers, exposed to sunlight and heat from exhaust.

With that said black chrome is awesome and pricey and there is only a couple companies in the entire US that actually do it in house. I wanted to do this to Big Red but the price was extremely high and needed to concentrate my funds to finishing the bike. I will one day have items black chromed.

Good luck keep us posted with you findings and what companies you go with and obviously before and after pictures.
Thanks for the information. Fading of an anodized finish was something I was worried about. A finish I have seen applied to some Italian bikes customized by a shop in the LA area called Pro Italia is to clear powder coat over anodized aluminum. That strikes me as a durable way to protect an anodized finish. It sure looks good. Do you have any experience with this?

I was a little worried that it would be difficult to find a place to apply black chrome. I also seem to remember some threads here about horror stories of engine damage from poorly applied chrome plating, where an anodized finish doesn't seem to present those kinds of problems.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogpro View Post
This place in Fresno does a Black Diamond finish which looks like a black chrome. Here is a link to their site describing the process.

http://www.wheelcreationsplus.com/chroming.html
Thank you very much. Do you have any first hand experience with this coating technology or know how durable it is? Their diamond black finish would look outstanding on black wrinkle engine cases. I will contact them.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Hogpro
www.hogpro.com

Here are a couple pics of a sample that Tom at Wheel Creations sent us. It looks great in person but can't testify to durability. In person it looks like a dark tinted chrome. It reflects light like chrome and cleans up like chrome. Definitely not a deep black like you would get out of a normal powdercoat or even a black anodize. I would think it would look great on your bike and be durable so the only negative thing IMHO is that it is pretty pricey.

hogpro@gmail.com

Hogpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
ohioVROD

Classic Components in California has done my billet wheel chroming and they are one of the few that actually do black chrome. I found there quality A1 and customer service is also top notch.

http://classiccomponents.com/services/black-chrome

I think clear coat powder after anno would work but is there such a thing as high temp clear? The clutch cover is the only cover that would greatly concern me seeing the header pipes, pending which pipe you run almost touch the cover itself.

Authorized dealer for Vance & Hines, MegaCycle Cams, CP Pistons, Brown's Plating, Carrilo Rods, ARP Studs, Falicon Crankshafts and Diamond Heads.

Services offered: Case Boring-26T Pulley-58mm Throttle Body-Slotting Sprockets-Pinning of Bearings-Custom Machined Wheels & Rear Pulleys- Engine Brace Kit

ohioVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Philthy
Registered Full

Figure at least a grand to diamond black coat the alternator cover, clucth cover, water pump cover, both valve covers and the pulley cover. Now to contact Classic Components. Something tells me black chrome will be even more costly.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
VrodPete
Elephant Motors Rock

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
I also seem to remember some threads here about horror stories of engine damage from poorly applied chrome plating, where an anodized finish doesn't seem to present those kinds of problems.
I think most of the horror stories were from powder coating engine parts and not getting the engine internals cleaned properly before reassembly. the loose bits end up clogging the oil passages.

HD SE II Cams, 3/8" Falicon Crank, Carillo Rods, CP Pistons, DA Fitz Engine Brace, Destroyer Injectors, Doherty oil pan, DA Fitz Head Port/Polish/+1mm Valves+springs, DA Fitz 58mm TBs, ARP studs, V&H 2nd Gear+Shift Shaft, Motohouligan Airbox, Wegner 2->1 Exhaust with Supertrapp V5

152.77 HP, 101.06 TQ

Other Toys: '01 BMW K1200LT, '76 Honda CB550F, '81 Mooney M20J

VrodPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrodPete View Post
I think most of the horror stories were from powder coating engine parts and not getting the engine internals cleaned properly before reassembly. the loose bits end up clogging the oil passages.
I just went through that ordeal with a BMW transmission. The case was powder coated and we needed natural finish to match the rest of the bike so we media blasted the bare case. Even though the tech knows the problems with stray media left in the case, and copious washing, some tiny pocket of media was left inside and it took out a bearing on the intermediate shaft (3 shaft transmission).

I seem to remember problems with chrome flaking off the insides of chromed pieces, or maybe it was problems with fit due to the excess material?

I recalculated the price for diamond black and it's more like $1300 just for the engine covers. I'm waiting to hear back regarding black chrome.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Black chrome is rarely seen or relatively rare. You'll at least be somewhat unique. Anodizing fades and is actually less durable but the mentioned parts won't see wear anyway like pegs and levers do. Chrome holds heat but not an issue with the Revo.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement