2007 Night Rod questions... - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Sled Dog
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2007 Night Rod questions...

Hey guys, just joined this site, seems very informative. I just purchased a 2007 Night Rod. I've never ridden any type of road motorcycle before but have always loved the looks of the V-rod! I've ridden it 150 miles in the last 2 days and love it! Gonna take the motorcycle safety course in the spring. Weather is really supposed to turn for the worse around here so probably done riding it for the year...

I do have some questions I'm hoping people can answer...

Mine has the alarm...I have no idea how it works. Sometimes the bike starts, sometimes it doesn't. I usually have to mess with the switch and key. The lights blink, is it supposed to have an audible alarm? I do not have the manual for bike. I'm going to dealer this week to order it.

It has a Tab Performance exhaust and K&N air filter. From what I've been reading on this site, any exhaust mods and the bike needs to have a tuner. Where would I look to see if mine has this? Bike seems to run fine. Loud but not obnoxious. Is this something I should be worried about? I'm not looking for maximum performance, just want the bike to run the way it should.

It needs new tires so I'm going to take them off in my garage. What's the best way to clean the rims? Are they aluminum? Clearcoat on them? I figure easiest way to polish them is with them off the bike. Any recommendations for tires? Front and back. Should I replace brakes while I'm there? They look fine.

Oil. Should I just go to dealer and get what they recommend? Is there an oil filter?

Anything else you guys can recommend to a newbie? I'm sure I'll be using the search function a lot. Thanks!

Added a pic of bike...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	269895_486926187996390_225966002_n.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	190570  

Last edited by Sled Dog; 10-27-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Add pic
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
redracer95
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Dog View Post
Hey guys, just joined this site, seems very informative. I just purchased a 2007 Night Rod. I've never ridden any type of road motorcycle before but have always loved the looks of the V-rod! I've ridden it 150 miles in the last 2 days and love it! Gonna take the motorcycle safety course in the spring. Weather is really supposed to turn for the worse around here so probably done riding it for the year...

I do have some questions I'm hoping people can answer...

Mine has the alarm...I have no idea how it works. Sometimes the bike starts, sometimes it doesn't. I usually have to mess with the switch and key. The lights blink, is it supposed to have an audible alarm? I do not have the manual for bike. I'm going to dealer this week to order it.
you should have a key fob with your keys. you must have the fob with in 25' of the bike when you try to start it with an alarm system. personaly i wouldn't bother with an siren for it cause if somebody wants to steal your bike they will find a way to do it.
It has a Tab Performance exhaust and K&N air filter. From what I've been reading on this site, any exhaust mods and the bike needs to have a tuner. Where would I look to see if mine has this? Bike seems to run fine. Loud but not obnoxious. Is this something I should be worried about? I'm not looking for maximum performance, just want the bike to run the way it should.try looking under the seat and passenger pilion for an aftermarket tuner like a power commander or a tab fueler.

It needs new tires so I'm going to take them off in my garage. What's the best way to clean the rims? Are they aluminum? Clearcoat on them? I figure easiest way to polish them is with them off the bike. Any recommendations for tires? Front and back. Should I replace brakes while I'm there? They look fine. i.m sure somebody with more knowledge here will chime in

Oil. Should I just go to dealer and get what they recommend? Is there an oil filter?hd part# for the oil filter is 63793-01K that will do fine. now oil on the other hand is subject to huge debates around here. Amsoil or Mobile1 synthetic 20W50 motorcycle oilis what most people here use. my opinion on hd oil is not to use it. go with amsoil.

Anything else you guys can recommend to a newbie? I'm sure I'll be using the search function a lot. Thanks! if you get new tires stay away from dunlops and go with avon or metzelers

Added a pic of bike...
redracer95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
XvtxCrewzr
Crash Bandacoot

Welcome! nice looking bike.. you will get all different answers from different people about your questions,usually boils down to personal tastes..
I don't know anything about the alarm,my B didnt come with one.
Yes there is an oil filter,most people use Amsoil, I found it made a world of diffrence in shifting,much smoother shifts less "clunk"

As far as tires,thats one of choice. I have kept using the Dunlops my B came with. how many miles? Just do a visual on the brake pads,common sense,replace if they look worn.

I am sure others will chime in with opinions also..
Good Luck...you'll love the bike
'05 VRSCB,Sundowner seat with pillon,chrome side covers,chrome switch housings,chrome fuel cell covers,chrome brake/clutch resevoir covers,chrome engine kit,luggage rack,chrome swingarm,chrome upper/lower belt covers,pivot covers,power commander III with SE slip-ons and SE airfilter,and more chrome
Also a vintage '72 750 Norton Commando,and a Yammi XJ700 Maxim X
Now I'm REALLY
XvtxCrewzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Sled Dog
Registered Full

Thanks for replies. I don't see any signs of a tuner, although I haven't looked under the passenger seat. Is this a problem if the bike doesn't have one? Seems to run fine. Idles fine. I haven't accelerated hard with it as I'm inexperienced but other have and say it runs strong. Opinions?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
ELUSIVE 1
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome. Those alarms can be a bitch. Dealer can find the code. .. Code number might be hidden under key cover.
ELUSIVE 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Dog View Post
Thanks for replies. I don't see any signs of a tuner, although I haven't looked under the passenger seat. Is this a problem if the bike doesn't have one? Seems to run fine. Idles fine. I haven't accelerated hard with it as I'm inexperienced but other have and say it runs strong. Opinions?
You have a stock tuner for sure. And no, a peripheral tuner is not a necessity, even with mods. You can use an SE tuner to access the EFM,
The alarm and FOB work together, check the FOB battery. Should be as simple as ignition to on, run to on, wait for yellow light to go off and hit start. Must be in nuetral and/or clutch in. Get a manual.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
Sled Dog
Registered Full

Thanks, got the owners manual and repair manual. Alarm works the way it should after replacing the battery in the fob!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
James Houk
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You may want to pull the airbox cover off and see if there is a tuner stashed in the airbox tray.
James Houk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
pwrman
Registered Idiot

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Seems you have got a couple issues figure out already. The mannuals are essential if you work on stuff yourself. The tuner is either an add on or the ECM has been reprogramed. An add on will somewhere close to the ECM and plugged into it. As far as oil, Amsoil or Mobil one, there is a dealer on the forum who will ship Amsoil to your door with a discount. There are a many threads about tires, read some of them for opinions and reviews. I like the Avons myself, got a good deal from JakeWilson.com. As far as polishing the wheels, Mothers with the power ball in a drill. It is a messy job but off the bike makes it easier. Do not get the polish in the bearings.
pwrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
nightroddersp
james

most of the bikes don't come with the audible alarm. just ignition disable which is why your light are flashing. like in the previous post the fob battery is most likely diing.