possible oil leak... - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Joshua022
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
possible oil leak...

In my airbox between the two plenums the little breather looking thing seems to be leaking oil. And according to TAB they think it may be the cause of my bad idle problem. Ive went through all the steps to diagnose if it was their tuner or not and it doesnt seem to be.

Anyone else have any ideas or experience with this?

The bike barely has 150miles on it. 130 of that has been with the tuner and slipons it just started idleing badly recently.

Supertrapp slip-ons (no discs/or covers)
TAB auto tuner
Joshua022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Joshua022
Registered Full

Could the new hi-flow air filter have been excessively oiled causing this?

TAB auto tuner
Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but there is a connection between breather and airbox, and if the airbox is mis-seated the connection leaks. Remove airbox (easy job) and replace making sure everything lines up. This is a common error made when the bike is serviced. It won't be your idle problem.

To check your idle, remove TAB tuner. It is not required at idle.

The most common cause of idle problems is a faulty or dirty IAC. That seems unlikely on a new bike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
stever975
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua022 View Post
Could the new hi-flow air filter have been excessively oiled causing this?
Unlikely.

Oil accumulating within the filter housing is usually from the case breather condenser (the small cylindrical plastic "can" that the breather hoses connect to). Excess breather condenser oil (normal quantities drain back into the cam covers) results from either too much oil in the crank case (check the dipstick) or too much "blow by" (rings are either worn or not seated).
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
pgilliam1
Registered Full

If I remember correctly, another member here had that same problem. He corrected it by placing a single wrap of electrical tape around that center canister/breather where the top clips onto it. The top was loosely fitted (mine wiggles too - but doesn't cause the oil problem) and the tape snugged it up and solved his problem. It's an easy thing to try. Good Luck!
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Joshua022
Registered Full

I will try the tape thing...

I have removed the auto tuner and it still idles rough.

TAB auto tuner
Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
pgilliam1
Registered Full

This just started recently, so possibly bad gas, fouled sparkplug, loose ground (there are 3 - check them), maybe spray throttle body cleaner in the IAC while it's running (I'm with Louis on this due to the low miles, but sh!t happens). Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Joshua022
Registered Full

May be bad gas I did buy from a lil hole in the wall because I didn't plan well.....

If not the dealer said a little fluctuation in the idle is nothing but 500rpm or more probably is an issue, and its not that big of a gap, I may be over exaggerating it...

TAB auto tuner
Old 10-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
pgilliam1
Registered Full

If these bikes are running right the idle shouldn't fluctuate over 100 rpm high-to-low. Don't believe the dealer, they've got a conflict of interest most of the time .
Old 10-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
pecee
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Two plenums?Do you mean the iac port between the two throttle inlets?if that port is full of oil then that will be the idle problem.clean the iac port with compressed air or something like carb cleaner or top end cleaner.there may be an obstruction in the port allowing a build up of oil in the port.if i have this wrong ,please ignore.
pecee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecee View Post
Two plenums?Do you mean the iac port between the two throttle inlets?if that port is full of oil then that will be the idle problem.clean the iac port with compressed air or something like carb cleaner or top end cleaner.there may be an obstruction in the port allowing a build up of oil in the port.if i have this wrong ,please ignore.
He said the oil was "in" the airbox. The IAC port is below the airbox. But then again, maybe I have it wrong -
Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
Joshua022
Registered Full

The oil is in the air box.

Put about 120 miles on it today in the cold trying to run this tank out so I can put in fresh gas and see if that helps.

TAB auto tuner
Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #13
Icenine99
Banned

Oil leak fix

I had an minor oil leak that was pooling in a pocket on the right side by the water pump / stator area. I had the stealer fix it Saturday 10-27-12 when I brought the bike in for the 5k service. They replaced both the breather O-ring PN 11391K ($.95) and the throttle body gasket PN 29439-01 ($2.50). It's only been a day since they fixed it but no more leaking and I rode 150-cold Chicago miles. You may have the same issue.
Icenine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
Joshua022
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine99 View Post
I had an minor oil leak that was pooling in a pocket on the right side by the water pump / stator area. I had the stealer fix it Saturday 10-27-12 when I brought the bike in for the 5k service. They replaced both the breather O-ring PN 11391K ($.95) and the throttle body gasket PN 29439-01 ($2.50). It's only been a day since they fixed it but no more leaking and I rode 150-cold Chicago miles. You may have the same issue.
Did it idle a little rougher than normal?

TAB auto tuner
Old 10-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
redracer95
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
post up some pictures of the oil in the airbox please.

what is the oil level at in the crankcase(on the dipstick).

what work has your dealership done to it.

is your throttle body gasket ripped.

these motors are known to have the map sensor go bad but what do i know. excessive oil in the airbox usually means the oil was over filled by someone. you idling issue could be that the throttle cables are not adjusted properly. the front and rear breather tubes are notorious for leaking on these bikes too.(piss poor design)
redracer95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement