2012 Backrest/Luggage option - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
troyrunner

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 Backrest/Luggage option

Hell fellow riders,

I have owned around 9-10 HD's but recently came from a sport tourer and really missed the ability to carry basic things. I live in Phx and am a daily rider so quick and easy storage is a must. Back packs aren't an option as I have done before with a CBR I owned and hated it. Despite reading more than several negative comments about the HD stock backrest (upright) and luggage rack, I decided to move forward with both of them due to lack of options. I must say I actually really like the setup I have combined with the HD bag (see pics)
I wasn't excited about adding brushed chrome to a non chrome bike, but the HD bag completely hides all the shine. Total setup cost was much more than I wanted to pay and why I waited so long in serach of other options. Bag was $99, upright and luggage $350 so total package $450.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vrod100.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	186996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vrod101.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	186997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vrod103.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	186998  
troyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Andrew G
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrunner View Post
Hell fellow riders,

I have owned around 9-10 HD's but recently came from a sport tourer and really missed the ability to carry basic things. I live in Phx and am a daily rider so quick and easy storage is a must. Back packs aren't an option as I have done before with a CBR I owned and hated it. Despite reading more than several negative comments about the HD stock backrest (upright) and luggage rack, I decided to move forward with both of them due to lack of options. I must say I actually really like the setup I have combined with the HD bag (see pics)
I wasn't excited about adding brushed chrome to a non chrome bike, but the HD bag completely hides all the shine. Total setup cost was much more than I wanted to pay and why I waited so long in serach of other options. Bag was $99, upright and luggage $350 so total package $450.
That actually looks preety good. How hard was the install that setup? Also I was wondering if you could run just the sissy bar without the rack? Thanks
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Artagra
Lifetime Premium

The backrest/upright can be separate.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Artagra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Andrew G
Registered Full

So you can use the backrest without the luggage rack? Because I was under the impression after see it in the book at the dealer you mounted the backrest on the luggage rack?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Artagra
Lifetime Premium

It's actually the other way around. If you buy jut the backrest you have to buy the mounting kit for $24 to mount just the backrest. If you buy the luggage rack, the hardware comes with it.

Artagra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Andrew G
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artagra View Post
It's actually the other way around. If you buy jut the backrest you have to buy the mounting kit for $24 to mount just the backrest. If you buy the luggage rack, the hardware comes with it.

Well I didn't know that, I seen in the catalog it says if you want the back rest you hafta order the luggage rack. Because for the 2012's this is the only backrest option available. Do you know the mounting kit part number?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
63echo
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Hell fellow riders,

I like that bag! I don't suppose you have a part number handy or remember the name of it, do you? Any quality issues pop up with it yet?
63echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Teche
Registered Full

Everything I have read and been told, is that on the 12 the luggage rack is not optional. They did make a kit that you had to drill holes in your fender but I don't think it works on the 12. Course i'm not expert, and I'm sure someone could make it work.
Teche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
troyrunner

It's the same bag sold with the 93300003.
I bought the small bag just by itself for $99.00
Don't be fooled this is not the 93300005 bag (that bag is bigger and costs $149 and it has 3 d-rings per side)
I am very impressed with the quality of the HD bag (easy flow zippers, strudy structure that keeps it form, emblem and piping both night glow) this is the 3rd bag I have installed on this rack and it's a keeper...the other two never made it longer than a week.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
troyrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G View Post
That actually looks preety good. How hard was the install that setup? Also I was wondering if you could run just the sissy bar without the rack? Thanks
The setup took my about 3 hours because I triple measured everything and didn't want to misdrill or scratch unnecessarily. I will state that the instructions are almost useless.
The instructions are if you are mounting the rack/upright before the fender has been mounted on the bike. The instructions help for itinerary of parts/screws and location but you will have to think threw the drilling part from underneath the bike.
The drill holes are extremely obvious and appear to be pre-engineered for this rack. So the location of the holes becomes very clear, but not because of the instructions. If I had to mount again I could do it in about 45 minutes without rushing...allow 3hrs and you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
troyrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teche View Post
Everything I have read and been told, is that on the 12 the luggage rack is not optional. They did make a kit that you had to drill holes in your fender but I don't think it works on the 12. Course i'm not expert, and I'm sure someone could make it work.
It becomes obvious that the upright (backrest) literally mounts in conjunction with the lug rack...they are designed and meant for each other...I hadn't realized that until I bought them together and began to install.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Andrew G
Registered Full

Quote:
The setup took my about 3 hours because I triple measured everything and didn't want to misdrill or scratch unnecessarily. I will state that the instructions are almost useless.
The instructions are if you are mounting the rack/upright before the fender has been mounted on the bike. The instructions help for itinerary of parts/screws and location but you will have to think threw the drilling part from underneath the bike.
The drill holes are extremely obvious and appear to be pre-engineered for this rack. So the location of the holes becomes very clear, but not because of the instructions. If I had to mount again I could do it in about 45 minutes without rushing...allow 3hrs and you won't be disappointed.
So with this setup, do you actually remove the fender from the bike and drill the holes then mount the rack and rest then reinstall the fender?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
troyrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G View Post
So with this setup, do you actually remove the fender from the bike and drill the holes then mount the rack and rest then reinstall the fender?
I didn't remove the fender. I did remove the plastic shroud underneath the seat as it makes it easier to slide the passenger seat forward and out of the way. I drilled my initial pilot holes from the bottom up (underneath side of the fender then after confirming location was perfect drilled larger holes from top of fender down to accommodate the respective plate and hardware. Caution is used on almost every step as you don't want to scratch the fender, then you don't want to drill through your rear tire, then you don't want the base plate to scratch the top of fender while you are securing the screws...not difficult just tedious and careful.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
Andrew G
Registered Full

Quote:
I didn't remove the fender. I did remove the plastic shroud underneath the seat as it makes it easier to slide the passenger seat forward and out of the way. I drilled my initial pilot holes from the bottom up (underneath side of the fender then after confirming location was perfect drilled larger holes from top of fender down to accommodate the respective plate and hardware. Caution is used on almost every step as you don't want to scratch the fender, then you don't want to drill through your rear tire, then you don't want the base plate to scratch the top of fender while you are securing the screws...not difficult just tedious and careful.
Careful is my middle name lol
Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Baldursscv
VRSCADX Ryder

If you remove the luggage rack does it leave a mark on the fender? I would like to install the rack when I need to but don't want to leave it on for long.
Baldursscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement