GRCustoms slim fender with what suspension? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
zanderch

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GRCustoms slim fender with what suspension?

Hey guys,

I've tried searching around but can't seem to find an answer for this. I'm planning on getting the slim fender with primo LEDs from GRcustoms from my 08 DX, and have been thinking about what suspension to get. I don't really care for the air suspension as it's more complicated and I will honestly never want to slam my bike down to show off.

I'm 160 lbs (73 kg) and occasionally ride with my sister or girlfriend who are both around 110 lbs (50 kg) so not a whole lot of weight is ever on my bike.

I don't really have any problems with the stock suspension right now, but I'm worried that once I install this fender that the back end is going to be pointing up and look like a dirt bike as many of you have suggested on here.

Most seem to prefer the progressive 440s, so what would be the ideal length to get for my situation then? Or would the stock height and suspension be fine?

Do any of you have any pics with the slim fender on with stock suspension? With progressives?

Your input is greatly appreciated, thanks a lot.

Regards,

Alex
zanderch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
changohot
Premium Member

I don't have the slim fender, but I do have the Progressive 440s (an inch shorter then stock). They work well for the V-Rod, nice ride.

Thanks,
Rod
Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
5aint
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This was the very same reason I didn't get a gr customs fender. Seems like everyone who gets that fender has air ride, and the only time they snap a picture is when it's slammed. I want it to look as good riding as it does when it's parked. I couldn't find a decent picture, so I went the Kreater route.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Current: Kreater carbon kit, BSTs w/ ceramic wheel bearing, Swan composite rotors, K&N Topless, Bub 7 2-1, Daytona Twin Tec, Progressive 440's, MS Biketec upper fork covers, Arlen Ness Deep Cut grips and pegs (powder coated), Arlen Ness RAD III mirrors, HD reduced reach handlebars, Figure custom derby and clutch cover, HD Black LED headlamp, Porsche horn cover.

Ordered:

Planned:Rotrex supercharger

For Sale:PC V (08 retro fit), Sundowner seat

Go big or go home
5aint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
zanderch

I've never heard of kreater till you mentioned it. I did a little digging and can't find very much, do you have it already? Any pics? What suspension you using?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
drumminguy81
Registered Full

I would also be interested in seeing pics of any of the gr customs fenders on bikes without air ride..

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App
drumminguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #6
Ruko
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderch View Post
I've never heard of kreater till you mentioned it. I did a little digging and can't find very much, do you have it already? Any pics? What suspension you using?
Very nice stuff... but very pricey too... I was considering one of their fenders but they will only fit up to a 260. http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthr...hlight=kreater

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138362
Ruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
5aint
Lifetime Premium

I have most of my order but it isn't installed yet. I'm still waiting on my seat. I'm running 11.5 inch progressive 440's. They are pricey, but there wasn't anything else out there that turned out the way I wanted.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
Current: Kreater carbon kit, BSTs w/ ceramic wheel bearing, Swan composite rotors, K&N Topless, Bub 7 2-1, Daytona Twin Tec, Progressive 440's, MS Biketec upper fork covers, Arlen Ness Deep Cut grips and pegs (powder coated), Arlen Ness RAD III mirrors, HD reduced reach handlebars, Figure custom derby and clutch cover, HD Black LED headlamp, Porsche horn cover.

Ordered:

Go big or go home
Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
grimy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aint View Post
Seems like everyone who gets that fender has air ride, and the only time they snap a picture is when it's slammed. I want it to look as good riding as it does when it's parked.

I really want a gr customs fender but I have the STOCK height 12.5" progressives and I really worry how it will look. (the fender aint cheap!)

08 VRSCDXA-PCV+Autotune-BUB 7-Topless-SE AF-26T Fitz pulley-Progressive 440 Rear-Progressive Fork Springs-SE Fork Oil-VRSCA Bars-Superbrace-Ron's Fork Covers-Fork Boot Covers-Joker Shift Linkage-Joker Bar End Mirrors-Performance Machine Grips-Heat Demons-KillerGlass-DDM HID Kit-Kurykan ISO stirrup pegs-Sundowner Seats f/r-Powerlet Plug
grimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
zanderch

Would it be possible for anyone with air suspension and a slim fender to raise it to stock height and maybe an inch shorter than stock height and take some pictures to get an idea of what it would look like? I would really appreciate it
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
brianp25
Registered Full

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderch View Post
Would it be possible for anyone with air suspension and a slim fender to raise it to stock height and maybe an inch shorter than stock height and take some pictures to get an idea of what it would look like? I would really appreciate it
i would too
brianp25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
5aint
Lifetime Premium

I have asked guys for such pictures and they never follow through. That's why I went the Kreater route. Talk about expensive. If I ever get my seat, that kit will finally get installed.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

Ordered:

Go big or go home
Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
ghostrider
Site Sponsor

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Hey guys, the Slim Fender Snuggs the fender closer than any other fender we offer.

The main reason guys buy the Air Ride is so they can control the level of where they want to fender to be.

I put my toggle switch in my horn cover so I can adjust it while riding, I raise it when I ride and lower it when I get off.

It does draw a crowd when I drop it down at the local watering hole!

You can leave it where you want it and ride, or adjust it anyway you want, that's the main reason guys get the air ride, but the big reason is the RIDE!

Air Ride is the best ride you can get on a motorcycle or a car for that matter, the shocks HD puts on the bikes is a cheap functional shock, made for standard riding.

But HD made the inner fenders sit so high on the bike that when you change your fender to one of ours that shows off that fat tire, you see 6" of space between the tire and the fender, looks like a sport bike!

So the ONLY way to get that fender low enough is ONLY air ride, as a shorter shock will only be stiff and give you the worst ride!

Just my 2 cents, I've been riding bikes for 30 years and the last 15 years ALL my bikes have air ride, especially the "Bleed Feed" system as it not only raises and lowers the bike but it also "dampens" the ride makes it firm or soft so you can change the comfort level when riding the Freeway's or firm it up for the canyons!

here's a couple of bikes with stock shocks
and one lowered with air ride

GR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	240CutFndrBike.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	187164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Didier Brotons FndrWings.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	187165  
Attached Images

ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
_R_
Registered Full

i have a custom fender with standard shocks and lot of people have liked the look of it. i think if i go with progressive 440 it will look much better.

_R_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
brianp25
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by _R_ View Post
i have a custom fender with standard shocks and lot of people have liked the look of it. i think if i go with progressive 440 it will look much better.

your bike does look awesome

i had air ride on my softail and hated the ride......i did have it lowered but i expected more out of a $1500 system....
brianp25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #15
_R_
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp25 View Post
your bike does look awesome

i had air ride on my softail and hated the ride......i did have it lowered but i expected more out of a $1500 system....
Thank you. i am happy with the ride so far and lowering it an inch might make it look better.

_R_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement