Holy Loud TABs Batman! - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Highstepper
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Holy Loud TABs Batman!

So I installed my Baffled TAB Slash-cuts on the vrod yesterday.... holy shit are they loud! I wasn't expecting them to be that loud, I don't remember them being this loud last time. But it has been some time since I last listened to them. So here is the question.... Is there a good way to tone them down a bit? Or am i basically out of luck? And if so, the bike is going to the dyno to be tuned on Friday, if I manage to tone them down would the bike need to be re-dynoed? Thanks Guys!

HS

** Too Many Damn Mods To Fit In Signature **

- 09 VRSCAW Black / Silver *Sold*
Highstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
RodKing
The Crusades

I just installed a set of TAB slash cut baffled on mine - they are loud as well.

I am going to install a set of baffles - reversed into the 3d volume collector - You might give that a shot - there are some inexpensive baffles on EBay that I'm going to try.
RodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Z06_Pilot
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oh man, mine arrive tomorrow. I listened to some You Tube clips and they sounded fantastic and not too loud....Tab says they are about a 6 on a loudness scale of 1 to 10 compared to their non-baffled cousins, so I figured they would be just about right.....maybe not!

I can't imagine what the non-baffled Tabs sound like....

I am coming from a Night Rod Special that had V/H Black Widow slip-ons.....

..."took a bead on the northern plains and just rolled that power on...." Bob Seger, "Roll Me Away"
Z06_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Highstepper
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot View Post
Oh man, mine arrive tomorrow. I listened to some You Tube clips and they sounded fantastic and not too loud....Tab says they are about a 6 on a loudness scale of 1 to 10 compared to their non-baffled cousins, so I figured they would be just about right.....maybe not!

I can't imagine what the non-baffled Tabs sound like....

I am coming from a Night Rod Special that had V/H Black Widow slip-ons.....
Funny, the Black Widows and the Tabs were the two I was debating about, went with the tabs because I know the company has very good customer service, and the price was right! Plus, I had tabs for a short time on my 09AW before I sold them for BUB7 2 into 1. The Bubs were very loud, and this time around I wanted to be more low-key. I've just been riding for 2k miles on stockers and the TAB are very much more sound, I'll get used to it, but I imagined they'd be a little quieter.... I could just be getting sensitive in my old age! Do me a favor, when you install yours let me know what you think of the volume of the sound... it could just be me!

HS

Last edited by Highstepper; 08-08-2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: additions
Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Highstepper
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKing View Post
I just installed a set of TAB slash cut baffled on mine - they are loud as well.

I am going to install a set of baffles - reversed into the 3d volume collector - You might give that a shot - there are some inexpensive baffles on EBay that I'm going to try.
I did not know there were baffles you could get for the 3rd volume... I was also considering putting some packing foam in the pipes, but I don't know how difficult it is to get the baffles out and if it would restrict exhaust flow too much. Additionally, I didn't even look this time around to see if the baffles were removable, I know they were back in 09 for my AW... I didn't even look this time around to be honest....

HS

Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
errorunknown
Registered Full

IMO just wear ear plugs. I have the V&H comps that are pretty loud, but have always wore ear plugs so they never bothered me. When I got on it next to other riders though,
errorunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Highstepper
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by errorunknown View Post
IMO just wear ear plugs. I have the V&H comps that are pretty loud, but have always wore ear plugs so they never bothered me. When I got on it next to other riders though,
Generally I have earbuds in and am listening to music.... I just don't wanna have to turn up the volume to max to hear the music, and therefore making myself deaf..... The few short rides I have taken since they've been on, seem to be ok though.

HS

Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
errorunknown
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highstepper View Post
Generally I have earbuds in and am listening to music.... I just don't wanna have to turn up the volume to max to hear the music, and therefore making myself deaf..... The few short rides I have taken since they've been on, seem to be ok though.

HS
Hmm, I have my own opinions about listening to music while riding, but I suggest you pick up a pair of earbuds that actually go in your ears. I have a pair of Monster Turbines that I picked up for $40 a while back and they do a pretty good job at blocking out sound, almost as good as ear plugs.
errorunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Z06_Pilot
Premium Member

I just installed the Tab slash-cut baffled slip-on's this morning. They seem a little bit louder than the V/H Black Widows I came from, but their tone seems identical, which is a good thing.

I'm still in my 500 mile break in, so I don't know how they sound in the high RPM ranges yet, but I like the sound level-would not want them any louder though!

..."took a bead on the northern plains and just rolled that power on...." Bob Seger, "Roll Me Away"
Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Highstepper
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by errorunknown View Post
Hmm, I have my own opinions about listening to music while riding, but I suggest you pick up a pair of earbuds that actually go in your ears. I have a pair of Monster Turbines that I picked up for $40 a while back and they do a pretty good job at blocking out sound, almost as good as ear plugs.
I do have in ear earbuds with an ear loop to keep them in place, I can hear the pipes obviously, and the music, and still wind, but some other things are bit harder to hear (i have to admit). But I do love having tunes, I can't hear cars over the exhaust and 3/4 helmet anyway..

Z06: I was expecting a little bit more subdued due to the "baffled" version. However they are definitely not the loudest pipes out there. Like I said it could just be that I've spent about 2k miles on stock pipes. I'm starting to get used to them. Either way, I'm not going to get rid of them this time, the bike is (as we speak) at Harley getting dyno-tuned.... the tone however is totally badass I must admit!

HS

Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
RodKing
The Crusades

This was the baffle into the 3d volume I was talking about - I got the pic somewhere on this forum a few years ago. I've got some V&H baffles identical to what is shown and I'm going to try it.

Looks like a great solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1499.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	186952  
RodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
Highstepper
Registered Full

Thank You, my problem at this point is the fact that i literally just got the bike back from dyno tune today... and you'd think if I install another baffle in the system it would require another tune.... I'm broke and maxed at the moment... so it looks like I"m gonna have to sit tight for now...

HS

Old 08-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Z06_Pilot
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highstepper View Post
I do have in ear earbuds with an ear loop to keep them in place, I can hear the pipes obviously, and the music, and still wind, but some other things are bit harder to hear (i have to admit). But I do love having tunes, I can't hear cars over the exhaust and 3/4 helmet anyway..

Z06: I was expecting a little bit more subdued due to the "baffled" version. However they are definitely not the loudest pipes out there. Like I said it could just be that I've spent about 2k miles on stock pipes. I'm starting to get used to them. Either way, I'm not going to get rid of them this time, the bike is (as we speak) at Harley getting dyno-tuned.... the tone however is totally badass I must admit!

HS
That's funny. I traded my 2012 NRS with Black Widows, for a 2012 Anniversary. I picked up the new bike from the crap dealer that had it in stock(and i got a good deal), took it home, put on the hi-flo filter and Tab pipes, then took it to my great dealer that does all my work .

They installed the Fi2000 fueler today and now I am good to go.

My point is that I never heard stock pipes for more than a few miles on a test ride, so I guess my ears were never "de-tuned" to hear a sewing machine for an extended period of time!

Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
H-Mizzle
Harley Convert

Installed Tab baffled slash cuts, K&N, and V&H fuelpak today. SOUND IS AWESOME!!!

'tisall

H.
H-Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
Highstepper
Registered Full

Yeah, it's growing on me! Now I just need it to stop raining so I can really stretch her legs! Had to take it easy on the way home from Harley with the rain and all....

HS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement