Best Tuner for my 2005 Screaming Eagle - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCSE
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Vicksburgvrod

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Tuner for my 2005 Screaming Eagle

I need a little help from you guys, I have recently purchased a 2005 SE and it has a stock tune on it @ this time. It backfires when I let off the throttle and has a small miss at around 3000 rpm. I have the stock mufflers with the baffles out. If i wanted to get a tuner for this bike and will only change the air filter what would be the best one to buy ?
Also is it possible that the spark plugs would cause the bike to act this way ? If so which plug would be the best ? Please advise
Vicksburgvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
indianaaubie
Registered Full

I always used the screaming eagle race tuner on my 06. With what you have done by removing the baffles you probably just need to go to the Harley dealer and get a stage one download, high flow air filter, and you should be fine. This should be your cheapest way out. If you go the race tuner route then you can get some good downloads from users on the site to get you close. I have a few I can send to you if needed.

Jim
Blue LEDs
Topless
Race Tuner

07 Heritage Softail
2004 Chevy SSR Yellow
indianaaubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Donbo
Registered Full

Tuner

I put on Vance and Hines Powershot pipes and matched it with the V&H Tuner. Easy to program, no computer needed. Runs great.
Donbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Vicksburgvrod

Thanks, I just put the V & H Fuelpak on my Vrod, It runs much better and no backfiring @ all.I'm very pleased with he results.
Vicksburgvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Bludodge
Blue 2005 VRSCSE

Here is my situation

I just learned that the 05 I bought from a guys never was tuned when he installed the HD hi-flo filter and Rinehart 2-1 pipes (which I discovered they no longer sell). I know from the HD dealership he had this done that it was done 3 years ago (5/2009), but only 1000 miles ago. Looks like I need to get it tuned. I too experience popping when I let off the throttle. I can only imagine I am running lean. I am sure everyone has their opinions, but I would like to hear what road I should go down next. I want to make my bike "right". The dealership told me the guy was supposed to bring it back and get it dyno'd and a SERT done but never did.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Bludodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
LL Cool K
Insane inda membrane

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There is no "best" tuner... you'll have a million posts with differing opinions.

If you're going to have the bike dyno tuned, find out what the tuner is most experienced with, and get that one.

If you're not going to get it "tuned," I'd suggest getting some version of Power Commander and finding a map either here or elsewhere, and try it out. It's easy enough to reinstall maps, and make small tweaks.

If you buy new, I'd suggest contacting Fuel Moto, they have great prices and if you tell them your setup... which is a common setup, they will send the Power Commander (or Power Vision if you prefer) with a map that will work very well.

In loving memory of Betty Boost! 1929-1996
Winner of the 2012 Midwest Thunder7 Johnny Hotfoot Award... Best Rat Bike!

LL Cool K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
schwingding
Registered Full

What LL Cool said is completely correct. There is no best tuner, each has its plus and minuses. And every forum member will tell you which is best only by most of them having tried only one.

I've had three "tuners" on my bike -

1. Thundermax, which I would never recommend to anyone and would eat broken glass before allowing it back on my bike.
2. The TAB tuner - it was fine, but I thought I could get more power out of my bike.
3. SEPST (screaming eagle race tuner) - I still have this, and now that I have the software and the knowledge gained from users here on this forum, I am convinced it's the best route, FOR ME. I'm a tinkerer and love having totaly control over the EFI on my bike.

Even I only have experience with three of the popular methods, there are many more! What would I suggest? I wouldn't make any, just give you my experience.
schwingding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Bludodge
Blue 2005 VRSCSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwingding View Post
What LL Cool said is completely correct. There is no best tuner, each has its plus and minuses. And every forum member will tell you which is best only by most of them having tried only one.

I've had three "tuners" on my bike -

1. Thundermax, which I would never recommend to anyone and would eat broken glass before allowing it back on my bike.
2. The TAB tuner - it was fine, but I thought I could get more power out of my bike.
3. SEPST (screaming eagle race tuner) - I still have this, and now that I have the software and the knowledge gained from users here on this forum, I am convinced it's the best route, FOR ME. I'm a tinkerer and love having totaly control over the EFI on my bike.

Even I only have experience with three of the popular methods, there are many more! What would I suggest? I wouldn't make any, just give you my experience.

Is this the HD tuner I saw in the parts catalog that was for "race" use only? It seemed they had two (and one if I recall didn't even work on the VRod). I think that one was $299, and the "race" tuner was $499, but from what I recall the "race" tuner had SOOOOO many more unlocked features.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Bludodge
Blue 2005 VRSCSE

Ok, looking again in the Screamin Eagle Supplement catalog online, there is the "Street Tuner" and a "Super Tuner". The Super has all of these features unlocked, and the Street one seems limited. Just wanted to make sure I was looking at this right. maybe the Street one will work with the VRod, because its not listed, but then under it lists a cable that does show the Vrod, so maybe you have to buy it and the cable kit if using it on a VRod. Its $249 and not $299. The Super Tuner shows to be ready to go for a Vrod for $459. I know, I can just go ask my dealership all of these things, but I'd rather also get some unbiased opinions as well.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Bludodge
Blue 2005 VRSCSE

Well good deal, glad I didn't go out any buy anything. This weekend I decided to tear into my bike to look around and change the oil, etc. When I removed the airbox assembly, underneath it was a PowerCommander III USB module.....guess its time to head over to the other forums and go to their website to figure out what to do now. I almost forked out the money for a SERT
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
bryan_b

I just bought the COBRA fi2000 powerpro tuner. I have heard great thing. Once installed, never have to get dyno tuned or re-mapped. Pricey though... $600
bryan_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No matter what tuner you get, to get better performance you're going to have to open the airbox up - one way or another. These bikes are airflow restricted by that small snorkle poking out the front of the airbox.
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

"Best" would be whatever tuner your tuner is most comfortable with.
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement