Vance & Hines help... - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
mitch2000
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vance & Hines help...

Hi, I have the 2004 Streetrod (had it since new) and on the Vance & Hines website I see two exhausts for the Streetrod... One for my bike and one for the later Streetrod... VH Product ID 17535 (for my bike) and VH Product ID 17555 (for the later Streetrod)

Question... Why wont either exhaust fit my earlier model Streetrod??

I have found the later model exhaust for sale many times, and always at a reduced price... But I never find the same deal on the earlier model exhaust.

Thanks,

Mitch.
mitch2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
RF_R_US
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's odd, I'm sure there only two model years of VRSCR '06 and '07 (at least in the US). I'd give 'em a call, maybe the other exhaust is for a "rest of the world" R that was slightly different.

My $0.02 worth,

John
"D" headlight, Kuryakan LED mirrors, Heavycycles Stage II Tail Light, Rinehart 2:1, Works Custom 14.25" Shocks, Racetech Forks (best investment $$$ can buy), Wicked Airbox, Thundermax (now I can REALLY screw up this bike), etc., etc.

Other Fossil Fuel Burning Toys: '95 GPZ1100, '96 KLR650, '73 Chevy Nova SS yeah it's :bad:
RF_R_US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch2000 View Post
Hi, I have the 2006 Streetrod (had it since new) and on the Vance & Hines website I see two exhausts for the Streetrod... One for my bike and one for the later Streetrod... VH Product ID 17535 (for my bike) and VH Product ID 17555 (for the later Streetrod)

Question... Why wont either exhaust fit my earlier model Streetrod??

I have found the later model exhaust for sale many times, and always at a reduced price... But I never find the same deal on the earlier model exhaust.

Thanks,

Mitch.

Fixed it for you.... the "R" in your galley is an '06.

My guess as to why the later model exhaust differs is likely a frame issue between the VRSCR's and the newer V-Rods. Though it could be something as simple as a different mounting bracket.
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
mitch2000
Registered Full

Ok, made an error in my 1st post... I said why won't either exhaust fit..

What I mean is, why will only one exhaust fit, (the earlier model exhaust) ... Is it so different, that the later model exhaust simply will not go on my earlier bike? Or can it be 'persuaded' to fit.. Or maybe this is something no one has ever tried.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 06-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Nor'easter
Live Free Or Die

So is what is this earlier exhaust you are talking about? A full system or slip ons?
Nor'easter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
mitch2000
Registered Full

Vance & Hines do 2 exhausts for our bikes.. 1 for the 06-07 street rod and another for the 08 street rod... Why won't the 08 exhaust fit my 06 street rod?

(looks like both are full system)

Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This isn't going to sound the way I mean for it to sound, so don't be offended.

There's no such thing as a '08 Street Rod.

The VRSCR models were only produced in 2006 & 2007. The frames (among other things) on the Street Rods are different from the frames on the earlier & the later models of the VRSC line.

I do not know if a pipe meant for a later model can be installed,though I suspect it maybe possible.
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #8
mitch2000
Registered Full

Not offended :-)

And I think confusion is over!! The Vance & Hines website was showing 2 different versions of the same exhaust for our bike, one of them for a 2008 street rod... But since I quizzed them about fitment of either exhaust for my bike, the website has changed, showing only one exhaust now.... DOH!!

Thanks for everyone who tried to help :-)

Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
Dancing Dogs
Locktite Queen

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I just installed the 17555 exhaust on my 06 R. The 17555 is the newer version and it has 2 O2 bungs on the header pipe that the older 17535 does not have. The mounting is the same between the the two versions. I have Tmax so i use the O2 sensors for autotuning. You could still use this version and put plugs in the O2 bungs.

The bracket for the R is unique to the R and I did purchase the last one that V&H had. I think the bracket part number was 410-P. I posted up about this a few months ago in the R section.

The hardest part of the install is wrestling the header pipes into place...start with the front cylinder head and pull the rear in second.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
mitch2000
Registered Full

MANY THANKS!!!.... thats exactly the answer i was looking for... FANTASTIC!!!

Odd that Vance & Hines told me that the 17555 would not fit my bike... I knew it would all along.. Nice one!!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Dancing Dogs
Locktite Queen

Glad I could help you out. It took a little detective work on the V&H web site but it wasn't that hard to figure out if you read the installation intructions. The only differences were the O2 bungs on the headers and a unique bracket for the R. It's a shame that they removed the 17535 info as I wouldn't have found the part number i needed for the proper bracket without it.

So I called V&H tech support and told the guy that answered what Ii was doing and gave him the part number for the bracket that I wanted. I'm sure he was more than a little confused by the request. First he said he didn't think it would work. Not one to take no for an answer, I persuaded him to compare the bill of materials and the installation instructions for the 17535 and 1755. Ten minutes later he agreed with me that it would fit but didn't think they had any of the brackets left because they were both discontinued systems. I did convince him to go double check the stockroom shelves. Ten minutes later he was laughing when he told me he had one left. It's not every day you can teach a vendor how their stuff works. LOL!!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Dogs View Post
Glad I could help you out. It took a little detective work on the V&H web site but it wasn't that hard to figure out if you read the installation intructions. The only differences were the O2 bungs on the headers and a unique bracket for the R. It's a shame that they removed the 17535 info as I wouldn't have found the part number i needed for the proper bracket without it.

So I called V&H tech support and told the guy that answered what Ii was doing and gave him the part number for the bracket that I wanted. I'm sure he was more than a little confused by the request. First he said he didn't think it would work. Not one to take no for an answer, I persuaded him to compare the bill of materials and the installation instructions for the 17535 and 1755. Ten minutes later he agreed with me that it would fit but didn't think they had any of the brackets left because they were both discontinued systems. I did convince him to go double check the stockroom shelves. Ten minutes later he was laughing when he told me he had one left. It's not every day you can teach a vendor how their stuff works. LOL!!
Frustrating, isn't it? Everyone wants the cheapest possible monkey working for them and this is what you get. If a company can't even put knowledgeable staff in their sales department I don't want anything to do with their product. They are relying on their name rather than the quality of what they sell now.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
mitch2000
Registered Full

Fascinating story, and thanks again for your info!!

But the 17535 is still on the V&H website ya know...

http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/v...lsystems/17535

You simply access it via the 2006-2007 Night Rod.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Hey, don't be so hard on V&H, I bet every part on they sell is tested on their Pro Stock Vrod bikes first , right ?
swampboogiedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
Dancing Dogs
Locktite Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
If a company can't even put knowledgeable staff in their sales department I don't want anything to do with their product.
Maybe the support person is new and still learning, or hasn't had enough traiining, or the training program is weak....or.....who knows what.

I don't have a stock set up and I was adapting their off the shelf system to suit my set up; Tmax on an 06 Streetrod. If they are willing to do some work to find the answer than I'm ok with that. Even though I had to persuade him to cross check my assumptions, he learned something from our conversation that he can apply again when someone else calls with a non standard application.

Hopefully he learns not to underestimate a customer, even if it's a "girl!" Some of us have engineering degrees and can ride a motorcycle, let alone mod one...LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement