Gas gauge fix for 5 gallon tank conversion - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
DigitalKnight
Out of time....

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Gas gauge fix for 5 gallon tank conversion

Has anyone converted there tank from the 3.7 to 5 gallon and then fixed the gas gauge so it reads correctly and can share the fix?

DigitalKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
The height of the tank is the same or real close between the stock tank and the 5 gal. ones so the gauge should be unaffected. The gauge measures how far from the bottom of the tank the fuel level is. There may be some minor variations but not enough to effect the outcome.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. - Mark Twain
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
DigitalKnight
Out of time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
The height of the tank is the same or real close between the stock tank and the 5 gal. ones so the gauge should be unaffected. The gauge measures how far from the bottom of the tank the fuel level is. There may be some minor variations but not enough to effect the outcome.
Mine goes to 10 miles left in tank and then "low" but it still has 1.75 gallons left which is like 70 more miles of riding, give or take...???
Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's due to the shape of the tank, it could be considered hour-glass shaped, large at top and bottom and small in middle.
This will cause the gauge to take a longer time to drop from full to 3/4. then quickly down to 1/4, then a long time to true empty.
The problem with the low fuel indicator though is it comes on when the float reaches a particular spot on the scale even though there is still ample fuel left.
Unless that location can be changed there is no fix available. It may be an actual marker on the scale or it may be programming.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
rippie74
1130cc is enuff 4 me

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4man View Post
It's due to the shape of the tank, it could be considered hour-glass shaped, large at top and bottom and small in middle.
This will cause the gauge to take a longer time to drop from full to 3/4. then quickly down to 1/4, then a long time to true empty.
The problem with the low fuel indicator though is it comes on when the float reaches a particular spot on the scale even though there is still ample fuel left.
Unless that location can be changed there is no fix available. It may be an actual marker on the scale or it may be programming.
True. I top my tank off & my gauge reads 3/4. It's weird, I have 75 miles on the odometer when my gauge reaches 1/2 tank. My low fuel light comes on at around 95 miles & I still have a little over 2 gallons left. I can get 150 out of my tank, easy.

Iceberg Blue 8K H.I.D. Conversion
Sundowner
Fender Base Plate/Low Sissy Bar/Luggage Rack
UE Trick Tank
Keyless Ignition Upgrade
Slipper Clutch
Drilled Belt Guards
Superchicken covers
100th Anniv. Windshield
Topless
SE2 Cams
Chromex Coated CFR
Amsoil
Metzeler
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner

http://vreelandsharley.com/?page_id=674
rippie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
DigitalKnight
Out of time....

Maybe one of these days I will get try and run my Night Rod out of fuel to see how far she will go on one tank of gas. It should be right about 210 miles per 5 gallons of gas....
Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
rsc
Killer Service Inc.

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
V-Gauge lite is the ticket.

Good Luck finding one for sale.

This will never happen.

Love mine,

2012 Ultra Classic

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion!
You're merely over-educated beyond your ability to think!

Malcomx" It turns out that the truth is pretty good protection."

V-rod mechanics 101:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rscrod

The opinions expressed here are solely those of the original author. These opinions do not represent those of KSI-LLC.com / Killer Service and Innovations, LLC
rsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
DigitalKnight
Out of time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsc View Post
V-Gauge lite is the ticket.

Good Luck finding one for sale.

This will never happen.

Love mine,
Do tell? Ohio... ummmm..... not to far from me.... what was your street address again????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement