Adventures in cheap a$$ Vrod powdercoating - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Acid666
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Adventures in cheap a$$ Vrod powdercoating

So A bunch of us checked out DrSwiger's thread about a Craftsman power coat gun that can be found for CHEAP. How cheap? SERIOUSLY cheap. Try $30 and $15 shipped. I ordered one from ebay Tuesday (I think it was Tues) and it was at my doorstep this morning.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150808461371...84.m1497.l2649

There's handfuls of these on eBay. The thing that got me about this was that it's COMPRESSORLESS! I'm in an apartment and don't have the luxury of having any of my old tools (that I gave away a couple of years ago). So I took it upon myself to make a craptacular paint booth with a way to ground and hang my items, and grabbed a toaster oven.

I'll give a run down in the images and let you judge of the quality. I think it came out good, but I did jack up the smallest piece because I wanted to see how well I could mask a piece, powder it, and peel the mask away. I wasn't familiar with how the powder coats and the durability of it from the time you finish painting it to when you're ready to throw it in the oven. Turns out it's easy to screw it up.

Also, I didn't realize the bushing in the clutch pedal was f'n PLASTIC and it melted out. Until I can find this part again, I've got some rubber sheets in it to take up the slack. It's working fine, but I'm going to see if I can order that bushing asap.

Cat not included

Gun with hole plugs, hooks, masking tape

Box with holes cut out for my grounding/hanging rod

Craptastic paint booth! Maybe later I'll get a filter and cut a hole in the back to plug in a vacuum cleaner hose

Black and Decker oven I chose. $40, biggest space I could find for the money.

Also, I got this one because of the raised sides. I wanted to drill hooks in the side wall.

Hooks drilled on side and bottom

First set I'll be doing. My clutch assembly but not the rod. It's too long to shove in my oven. It's plastidipped so I peeled it off (pretty easy)

Acetone'd these pieces

Threw the paint box in my bathtub. I'm not sure how random this powder is so I figured I'd start light and see how much of a control I can get with the spray. Also, the gun has a ground clamp connected to the wall socket. So no need to find a ground.
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Acid666
Registered Full

First piece done. Checking out the texture.

2nd piece done

Closeup of 2nd piece

First piece glazing. Forgot to remove the painters tape so I pulled it out and kind of jacked it up. I didn't mind imperfections on this piece since it's super small.

Glazing

Finished texture

Piece 2 glazing. I scuffed up this piece too but it was on the edge that rotates with the peg so I didn't mind imperfections here.

Did my front brake lever as well.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Acid666
Registered Full

Lever on the bike. Notice the rat Plastidip tank shell.

I learned a lot. And later on I might strip the clutch pieces down with some chemicals or blast em and redo em. But I learned that the most difficult part is if you have to mask a part and hang it in your oven. If you can set it down on a tray, you're golden.
I tried to scuff up the bottom of one of the parts and it seems to be solid as hell. There's so many bolt heads, shock pieces, and other random little things I'm going to be pulling off the bike to get blacked out.

Total investment
Craftsman Powder Coat gun $45 shipped
Harbor Freight powder $5 (I bought 3 colors but only using black here)
Black and Decker Toaster oven- Walmart - $43
Lowes storage container - $11
Lowes screw eyes and hooks - $3
Lowes 1"X3' 14ga square tubing - $17

For a grand total of $127
For me to get all these pieces and some others that I would pull off the bike, I'd estimate that I'd have to spend around $150 or so total. So for a buck twenty, I can do whatever I want in whatever color I want, and do stuff for friends... I'm happy with the results so far. I'll learn some more tricks and probably become more proficient at it and get cleaner results each time.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Very cool! Nice write up. I love it! Joe
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
BT
I lift heavy things.

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good shit ...I luv the tank.....that's rustic......
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
kcmc
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is that flat black? Do they make gloss black?
kcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Demthios
To boost or not??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nice write up! To bad I just dropped all my stuff off at the powder coater two weeks ago! I also think I might have a hard time finding a toaster oven big enough to shove the frame into! lol
Demthios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Acid666
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmc View Post
Is that flat black? Do they make gloss black?
This is Matte Black. They make gloss, you'd just have to see if they stock it locally. I got these at Harbor Freight. They only had white, yellow, red, and matte black. I grabbed all but white because I figure I've got friends that will want stuff in Red, Yellow and Black but not really in White.

I barely used any of this stuff. I filled the gun with a few ounces and put back probably 3/4 into the container after I was done. You can sweep up the excess and put it back in the canister, but there really wasn't a lot. I just rinsed it out. It doesn't stain either

In case anyone's wondering about how much it flows and gets all over the place, I didn't get a single bit outside of plastic box that I painted in. It might look like it's close to the edge but I found that the part sucked most of it up as the powder flowed past it. I was worried about the bottom not getting coated but that's what's great about it clinging from an electrostatic charge. I'd just spray it all around the part and it would cling any place that had exposed metal. Now it is a powder still so it's easy to touch it and get a smudge. But just take your time and you'll be good to go.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #9
myvrodrocks
myvrodrocks

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I'm no expert...but I have had a ton-load of stuff PC'd and every single time it has come back to me with the masking tape still in place. I know 'cause I'm the idiot peeling the stuff off.

My point...pretty sure you can leave the masking on through the baking so you don't mess up your job.
myvrodrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
Acid666
Registered Full

I'll have to find some high temp stuff. The stuff that came with the gun shrinks up and hardens a little. So I don't think it's high temp. I'll find some online and order it.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
bwds
brett

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
very nice right up ,and pics, should help quite a few here ,thanks for thinking of others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tony
But the F is SO ugly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
SSG of America
HzdPay

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
slayer!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
DungeonWorks
20 Eyes in my Head

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You got an INCREDIBLE matte finish on the cat! AWESOME job brother! I can never get the little bastards to hold still long enough in the oven at 400 F!

In all seriousness, thank you for the review! Your items turned out really good and it is might cool of you to share.
DungeonWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Big Enough for VR frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demthios View Post
Nice write up! To bad I just dropped all my stuff off at the powder coater two weeks ago! I also think I might have a hard time finding a toaster oven big enough to shove the frame into! lol
I'm installing a sauna next month....but probably only heats up to 220F.
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
myvrodrocks
myvrodrocks

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid666 View Post
I'll have to find some high temp stuff. The stuff that came with the gun shrinks up and hardens a little. So I don't think it's high temp. I'll find some online and order it.
Yea im pretty sure my PCer uses plain old masking tape. Its a pain to get off. Like cleaning a BBQ...
myvrodrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement