Project: Monobody - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Demthios
To boost or not??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Project: Monobody

So some of you may have seen that I'm going big bore this winter. And while I'm saving up the money to pay for everything and buying the pieces between I need to keep busy. Sooo last year I seen the Kele Design monobody and just feel lin love with it. So I decided this year I will attempt to build my own out of carbon fiber. I've worked with fiberglass before and had some great outcomes, so I'm excited to work the carbon fiber. I'm also going to be creating some seat cowls for my wifes SV650s motorcycle to get my feet wet with the carbon fiber. I plan on doing all this via vacuum infusion so that it will be the strongest and light as possible. At this time I don't plan on making them to sell but depending on how much interest there is I will consider it. I'll keep you update on the progress, it will be a slow process just hope to have a base one made by the summer to use.

Here are some pics of the beginning, how many of you can say that you have an R value motorcycle!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0751.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	175767   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0752.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	175768   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0753.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	175769  
Demthios is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 31 reviews

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
andrew
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This could be interesting. Reminds me of the old Tracey's Fiberglass Works bodies available for bikes back in the late 70's.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
jimlowe
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Intrigued
Old 12-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
andycg
day dreaming...

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Old 12-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Demthios
To boost or not??

Wow alot of popcorn eating going on here huh! Well the foam is almost set, about to start on layer two might let it sit up for the night. The next layer will build up the airbox section and then the next layer will be to do the front side covers. Now I''m not sure how much of an intake vent I can get there since I am going with clip on bars and that limits the space a bit more.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
BAD V-R
Frank

Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Here is some food for thought. This is a company that brought a carbon fiber mono-body V-Rod to Daytona a couple years ago to show off their supercharger system. Not too crazy about some of thier styling (especially the mirrors and gap between the fender and tire), but you may pick up some ideas.

http://www.fkleemann.com/
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=104
BAD V-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4man View Post
This could be interesting. Reminds me of the old Tracey's Fiberglass Works bodies available for bikes back in the late 70's.
Or the Vetter Hurricane. I remember both. That's kinda scary.

You have some of the best riding on the East Coast not too far from Gainsville.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
h2oV
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
lol, after all that work you'd think that they would have come to Daytona with a better solution than basic DX side covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD V-R View Post
Here is some food for thought. This is a company that brought a carbon fiber mono-body V-Rod to Daytona a couple years ago to show off their supercharger system. Not too crazy about some of thier styling (especially the mirrors and gap between the fender and tire), but you may pick up some ideas.

http://www.fkleemann.com/
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=104
Old 12-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
Demthios
To boost or not??

Thanks for this links will take dome of that in when we start finalizing the details. I was just going to do the air box and rear fender together but thinking now to do the side covers as well. Then I could use a three point mounting system the tabs and screw if the side cover, the air box pin, and finally the rear fender bolt area. Will be doing the second layer today will snap some more pics tonight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle App
Old 01-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
mikeinatlanta
relaxed and happy

I have some experience with this type of composite tooling fabrication. The type of foam you are working with will give you a very difficult time due to it's flexibility and slow/inconsistent curing.

I can see from the pictures that you have already invested quite a bit of time and money on the spray foam, but you may want to consider starting over with a proper rapid cure foam.

Here is the stuff I am talking about:

It is available in many densities, but I like working with the 4lb stuff. If you go this route, let me know and I can give you some tips on how to work with it.

Here is the company I get it from. They are great to deal with for all composite supplies, and their materials are always fresh.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
ELUSIVE 1
Lifetime Premium

Thumbs up Thanks....great information

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
I have some experience with this type of composite tooling fabrication. The type of foam you are working with will give you a very difficult time due to it's flexibility and slow/inconsistent curing.

I can see from the pictures that you have already invested quite a bit of time and money on the spray foam, but you may want to consider starting over with a proper rapid cure foam.

Here is the stuff I am talking about:

It is available in many densities, but I like working with the 4lb stuff. If you go this route, let me know and I can give you some tips on how to work with it.

Here is the company I get it from. They are great to deal with for all composite supplies, and their materials are always fresh.
Mike,
That's what I like about this site...it's a forum where members can get feedback,then streamline expensive,time consuming proceedures to produce efficient outcomes.
I've been experimenting with TapPlastics.com, but your product appears to be more precise/predictable.:not worth:
I'll now be utilizing the "black casting resin" by AeroMarine for my prototypes and finished projects.
E1
ELUSIVE 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
mikeinatlanta
relaxed and happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELUSIVE 1 View Post
That's what I like about this site...it's a forum where members can get feedback,then streamline expensive,time consuming proceedures to produce efficient outcomes.
I've been experimenting with TapPlastics.com, but your product appears to be more precise/predictable.
TapPlastics actually just repackages and markets. Their X30 foam is nothing more than 2lb density urethane foam taken from drums they buy and put into their cans. Then they jack the price up for unknowing consumers.

Urethane foam has a pretty short shelf life. With the X30 you have no way of knowing how old it actually is. That is why it can be inconsistent. A 2 gallon kit of X30 costs over $127.00 and 2 gallons of 2 lb from AeroMarine costs $87.00

These guys have a two gallon 2lb kit for $65. I have used them quite a bit too and they are great.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
ELUSIVE 1
Lifetime Premium

Thumbs up Thanks again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
TapPlastics actually just repackages and markets. Their X30 foam is nothing more than 2lb density urethane foam taken from drums they buy and put into their cans. Then they jack the price up for unknowing consumers.

Urethane foam has a pretty short shelf life. With the X30 you have no way of knowing how old it actually is. That is why it can be inconsistent. A 2 gallon kit of X30 costs over $127.00 and 2 gallons of 2 lb from AeroMarine costs $87.00
Awesome info...
I'll definitely network & ask you first!
Guess I'll give my old foam to the old fisherman dudes to use for bouys,etc..
ELUSIVE 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement