Any pics with Saddlemen TS1450R tunnel bag on a DX? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Kevinmach1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any pics with Saddlemen TS1450R tunnel bag on a DX?

I am looking at this bag for some longer trips, 1 for storage, and 2 for back support. Just wanted to see how it sits on the bike befroe I order one and then find out it doesn't fit well...

Any pics you might have with one on a DX would be great!!!
Mine is a 2011 if that makes any difference...

Thanks!!!
Mid-Sport windshield.
Kevinmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
jt3
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have this bag, and it fits fine. The standard tunnel seems to fit much better than the wide tunnel, even though the measurements would seem to say otherwise.

I'm not a big fan of bags (or windshields) on the V-Rods, but I ride to work every day, and I found out early on that the hot exhaust pipes will viciously attack dress slacks if given half a chance, so I have to wear riding pants, and I need some place to store those once I reach my destination, along with my rain gear and work shoes while I ride. All this made for a heavy backpack, and I just got tired of feeling tied down. This bag easily accommodates my needs, without overwhelming the signature V-Rod look.

The mounting is a bit tricky, since even properly mounted, it's going to be a bit wobbly side to side (but still very secure... you don't have to worry about it coming off). A couple bungies help with the side to side movement, but it's a cleaner look without them. Just depends on what's important to you. I mounted it with the standard straps through the little slots in the front of the rear pillion, and around the sides toward the back of the rear pillion (but looped in front of the pillion post). I'll try to get some pics up this weekend, that will make this more clear.

Oh, and if mounted right, it doesn't interfere at all with lifting the front seat. If you really want that back support, or want to make damn sure that it doesn't rub the fender in back, you may want to mount it a little more forward, which will require you to push it back a bit when lifting the seat. Of course, all this is with the stock seat. Since you have a Sundowner, your results may vary.
jt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
gadgetgirl
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt3 View Post
I have this bag, and it fits fine. The standard tunnel seems to fit much better than the wide tunnel, even though the measurements would seem to say otherwise.

I'm not a big fan of bags (or windshields) on the V-Rods, but I ride to work every day, and I found out early on that the hot exhaust pipes will viciously attack dress slacks if given half a chance, so I have to wear riding pants, and I need some place to store those once I reach my destination, along with my rain gear and work shoes while I ride. All this made for a heavy backpack, and I just got tired of feeling tied down. This bag easily accommodates my needs, without overwhelming the signature V-Rod look.

The mounting is a bit tricky, since even properly mounted, it's going to be a bit wobbly side to side (but still very secure... you don't have to worry about it coming off). A couple bungies help with the side to side movement, but it's a cleaner look without them. Just depends on what's important to you. I mounted it with the standard straps through the little slots in the front of the rear pillion, and around the sides toward the back of the rear pillion (but looped in front of the pillion post). I'll try to get some pics up this weekend, that will make this more clear.

Oh, and if mounted right, it doesn't interfere at all with lifting the front seat. If you really want that back support, or want to make damn sure that it doesn't rub the fender in back, you may want to mount it a little more forward, which will require you to push it back a bit when lifting the seat. Of course, all this is with the stock seat. Since you have a Sundowner, your results may vary.
Do you take it off the bike to carry into work? The bag looks unwieldy to carry. I'm trying to decide between this and the Cortech sport tail bag.
gadgetgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
jt3
Lifetime Premium

No, I leave it on the bike, but it's got a really comfortable handle. Plus, it has D-Rings all over the place (top and bottom), so you can easily strap shoulder straps to it if you want. (The D-Rings on the bottom have their own little protective pockets to keep them from dinging up the bike. That really impressed me.)

I looked at some bags that turned into backpacks, but their methods of tucking the straps away always seemed clunky or affected the fit while on the bike. This one almost seems designed for the V-Rod.

I'll post pics this weekend, when I get a chance to take some good ones.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
CTNRS
Registered Full

Got any pics?
Fuel Pack
Diamond Black grips and pegs
Rizoma Dynamic mirrors
DDM HID 8K HI\LO beam
Willie G Skull front axel nut covers
(to pay homage for the V-Rod)
Rizoma license plate bracket w\MegaZ blinker relo bracket
CTNRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
jt3
Lifetime Premium

Okay, sorry it took so long, but it's been a busy weekend, and just had time to go out and take some pics of the bag. Under each pic, I'll try to give a comment so that you can see what you're looking at.

Here are a couple pics to see what the bag looks like on the DX.

...and a couple closer views. Notice how there are no obvious mounting straps visible. The nice thing about this bag is that there is no need for a sissy bar, luggage rack, or even bungies. (Although, bungies may make it stay centered from side to side a bit better... it's very secure, but feels sloppy because of the way it's strapped down.)

Take the bag off (via three quick release levers) and this is what's left on the bike. Unfortunately, if you want no visible mounting straps when the bag is on, then this part will be pretty much permanent, since it requires removal of the pillion to take off. Use bungies without this pad if you plan to take passengers from time to time. By the way, the straps you see here (at the front and back) are the ones that go into the three quick release points to secure the bag. Also, take note of the position. It's VERY important that this be as close to the front of the rear pillion as possible, without overlapping the front seat. Don't worry, you can still adjust the bag to personal preference, as I'll show you later.

This picture is the front of the rear pillion (with the front seat lifted). The mounting pad is installed via two straps that wrap around the side of the seat. It's much more secure if you run the front strap through the tabs located on each side of the pillion like you see here. Tighten as much as possible, without overly compressing the seat leather.

...and this is the rear strap. It does wrap around, but it's lined up JUST behind the pillion mounting post, so give it enough slack so that you can mount the pillion with the strap routed in FRONT of the mounting post. This takes a little trial and error, since it should be loose enough to let you install the pillion, but very tight once installed (without overly compressing the seat leather). The triangular shape of the pillion will thus keep this strap from moving forward, while the pillion post prevents it from moving back. By routing the two straps as I've shown, there is virtually no front-to-back motion of the mounting pad, and only a little side-to-side motion. The latter is because the pad isn't actually attached to the straps. The straps simply run through some loops on the back of the pad, so there's nothing to stop the pad from sliding back and forth along the straps. Still, it's not a LOT of movement, and the bag is very stable when riding.

Here's a picture of the bottom of the bag. Notice the velcro strip that attaches to the mounting pad, as well as the little pockets that the lower D-Rings go in. Plus, you can see the three quick release levers that actually secure the bag once mounted.

This last picture shows the rear clearance when mounted properly. This is if you just SLIGHTLY overlap the front seat, so you'll have to push it back a bit to lift the seat. You CAN mount it so that it doesn't overlap, but you'll end up rubbing the fenders a bit if you do. By the way, as stated earlier, the mounting pad does NOT overlap the seat. The overlap of the BAG is adjusted by where you lock down the three mounting straps. Lock the forward straps as close as you can to the pad, and the bag will overlap an inch or two -- or, give a little leeway there, and tighten the rear strap a bit more to adjust the bag back. Personal preference.

Keep in mind that this is the STANDARD bag (TS1450R). IMHO, the wide bag (TS1620S) doesn't fit the DX very well. You'll get lots of fender-rubbing action with that one.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Kevinmach1
Registered Full

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for...Thanks a million!!! Looks like the standard bag will work for me...
Mid-Sport windshield.
Kevinmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
trbo2nr
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You beat me to it!

Thanks jt3. I have the same bag too and leave mine on the bike unless I am checking into a hotel. I like the handle and back support. Great pics you posted.

Bob
2007 NightRod Special K&N/Topless/Tab Slash Cuts/PCIII USB/Superbrace/Sundowner/Rear brake light conversion/Battery tender wiring/45736-07 Steering Stem Nut Kit/75210-07B Fuel level sensor/LED rear brake light/Swing arm and front cap covers/Diamond black grips/pegs/shifter/ Black bars/69873-07 headlamp/AW pillion #52387-07/Ghost Rider mirrors/lower shock bolt covers/260 Metzler 880, Ron Cooper upper fork covers, Progressive 440 and Progressive front lowering springs.
trbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
pfbmgd
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That is a great bag .I`ll have it for next season.

Can you post a couple of pictures of the inside of the bag ?
Topless
Avon tires
pfbmgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
jt3
Lifetime Premium

Okay, I've already loaded this thread with enough pictures to make our bandwidth-challenged members cry, so I've uploaded the pictures of the innards to an album. I've put notes in the caption of each picture. If this causes problems with anyone, let me know and I'll attach them as thumbnails. It's just harder to caption them that way... or at least I haven't figured out how yet.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/album.php?albumid=768

By the way, to give you an idea of what this can hold... This is a tunnel bag, so it wraps around the pillion, making little pockets at the sides. These pockets are perfect for my rolled-up rain gear, leaving the rest of the bag for general storage. I ride to work, and the DX exhaust is hungry for polyester pants, so I wear overpants that happen to have CE kneepads. They fit just fine, and I could probably still squeeze a half helmet in there if I needed to.

For normal clothing, along with my rain gear, I can fit about 3 or 4 days worth in there (minus a day if you're the kind that has to have new jeans every day), including a spare set of shoes for when the riding boots aren't appropriate. Obviously, you can stretch that if you don't need shoes (or if you're a flip-flop type) or rain gear.

Add a cargo net, strapped to the upper d-rings, and I can obviously carry quite a bit more if I need to.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #11
pfbmgd
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt3 View Post
Okay, I've already loaded this thread with enough pictures to make our bandwidth-challenged members cry, so I've uploaded the pictures of the innards to an album. I've put notes in the caption of each picture. If this causes problems with anyone, let me know and I'll attach them as thumbnails. It's just harder to caption them that way... or at least I haven't figured out how yet.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/album.php?albumid=768

By the way, to give you an idea of what this can hold... This is a tunnel bag, so it wraps around the pillion, making little pockets at the sides. These pockets are perfect for my rolled-up rain gear, leaving the rest of the bag for general storage. I ride to work, and the DX exhaust is hungry for polyester pants, so I wear overpants that happen to have CE kneepads. They fit just fine, and I could probably still squeeze a half helmet in there if I needed to.

For normal clothing, along with my rain gear, I can fit about 3 or 4 days worth in there (minus a day if you're the kind that has to have new jeans every day), including a spare set of shoes for when the riding boots aren't appropriate. Obviously, you can stretch that if you don't need shoes (or if you're a flip-flop type) or rain gear.

Add a cargo net, strapped to the upper d-rings, and I can obviously carry quite a bit more if I need to.

Thanks this bag is exactly what I was looking for .Your pictures are great .
Topless
Avon tires
Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
pfbmgd
Registered Full

One last question about this bag .Can you bungee a small lunch cooler or a full face helmet on top of the bag .Is it still stable ?
Topless
Avon tires
Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
jt3
Lifetime Premium

Well, that depends on how you mount it of course, but if you mount it using the mounting pad as I've shown, then the bag is going to be stable, because it's still connected to the pad by the three locking straps, and that pad is certainly not going anywhere. You may have some side to side motion, though, so if you're going to bungie something to the bag, I'd probably also bungie the bag to the passenger peg mounts on both sides, just to eliminate that side-to-side action.

Also, if you're going to place something on top like a full-face helmet or cooler, I'd probably go with a small cargo net, rather than a couple bungie cords, especially if you're planning on attaching to the top d-rings of the bag. If you're running through the helmet or handle of the cooler and attaching the bungies directly to the passenger peg mounts, that'd probably be fine.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
pfbmgd
Registered Full

Thanks.
Topless
Avon tires
Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
hotsht33
Registered Full