» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > General Area > News
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Half-Pint
Administrator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Motorcycle Safety Primer

Motorcycling has always been about fun and without a doubt it can be a blast, but it’s not a video game, or a trip to an over-safety-engineered amusement park.

Like a lot of higher-stakes adrenaline rushes, riding is a measured gambit, and one to always maintain a healthy respect for. But most people know this already, so what is there to talk about right? Wrong.

Even the best riders crash. Sometimes it is their fault. Sometimes not. Does it really matter if you or someone you care about goes down and gets hurt? Sure it matters on one level, but even more important is ensuring it does not happen in the first place – or if it does anyway, you are as prepared as possible.

Unlike automobile driving, motorcycling involves far more variables to pay attention to. These include details involved with protecting yourself, improving your ability and focus, making sure your machine is in good working order, and watching out for the other driver.

Riding takes more skills and focus than driving a car, and the penalty for getting it wrong is usually more severe. As such, we’ll hit some of the high spots to stay mindful of.

Gear

Though most states don't require you to wear one, we can't think of a good idea not to put on a helmet when you ride.

Nearly two-thirds of American states now require no helmet for most riders, or certified motorcycle-specific clothing. It may be your right not to wear these, but never is it a good idea.

All sanctioned racing requires full coverage helmets that meet minimum certification standards, and head-to-toe protection. If the pros know the gear serves a life-saving purpose, doesn’t that suggest everyday riders should follow their example?

True, it can be tempting on a hot day to forget the leather or textile, but why take that chance? There is gear made for every climate from cold weather to super hot.

Road rash and broken bones are serious business, as many an experienced rider can tell you. With no crash cage around you, and the increased likelihood of one day hitting the ground or another immovable object, why risk it?

More: Motorcycle Safety Primer on Motorcycle.com
Half-Pint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
santeg
Fah q 2

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Atgatt
Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Markk9
Registered Full

I try and read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough twice a year to keep myself on my toes. It's a very good read about the realities of riding a bike on the roads.

Retired Eagle Driver....Long live the Eagle!
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
fastvrod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
all the gear all the time.
fastvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
V-Muscle
Registered Full

Always respect the bike and the road. And always look out for other drivers bc 9 out of 10 times they are looking for a car out of there rear view/side view mirrors and are NEVER expecting a bike!

Ride safe guys and gals!!!
V-Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
santeg
Fah q 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by santeg View Post
Atgatt
LET ME CORRECT MYSELF...
ATHGATT-All The HARLEY Gear All The Time

I try to be poser perfect
Old 06-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
Markk9
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by santeg View Post
LET ME CORRECT MYSELF...
ATHGATT-All The HARLEY Gear All The Time

I try to be poser perfect

Why would you buy Harley gear for double price and half the quality? OH..............you want the pirate look.............lololol

Retired Eagle Driver....Long live the Eagle!
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
rattrap
MOCO Bastard Child

mothgaott

most of the gear ALL of the time. full face helmet for sure, jacket, appropriate to the weather, textile or real riding leather (not that flimsy crap that you can practically see through-look at half of MO-CO's catalog for that) WITH armor at the elbows, shoulders, back, and kidneys, riding boots, (if they are comfortable to walk in they are not real riding boots).

Ok sometimes i'll go without gloves, it is the rare exception i'll make to comfort. though both times that i've been down hard I was wearing gloves, and both times the gloves took the beating my hands didn't (but they won't prevent broken bones, they will just keep the pieces more or less in the general area where they are supposed to be).
jeans, GOD I cringe when I see someone wearing SHORTS riding a motorcycle. a scooter.... maybe (cause THOSE people are disposable anyway). wear a suit made out of steak knives and nitroglycerin if you are riding a scooter who cares

oh yeah and my gremlin bell. never ever go anywhere without that.

my humble opinion for what its worth.
rat
oh yeah and a few years of scraping up bike vs car/ bike vs stupidity, with my local volly EMT/rescue squad to see what works and what doesn't. I've never seen a fatal case of road rash, I've seen some that made the guy (or gal) wish they were dead. but that is another story.
I have, however, seen enough brains and former facial features to convince me never to throw my leg over my bike with out a FULL FACE helmet. PROPERLY strapped on.

that's right, without that little strap as soon as you meet an immovable object, your helmet will pop off like a champagne cork. you might as well not even be wearing one if you don't bother to strap it on correctly.

I don't wanna preach, the world needs organ donors, you helmet less are organ doners right? lord knows if I need a kidney someday I'd be honored if it came from a brother biker. "Let Those Who Ride Decide". We are all adults who can make our own decisions. just make sure your family knows you want your body to go to someone who needs it.

Happiness is a pair of warm .45s
rattrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
bbally
Asylum Inmate

NOTGNOTT

I am an organ donor... and it says my wishes on the license.

Though they would not put on that I do not want to remember the crash... but they do put the heart logo on the license that says, carve Bob up and make another family very happy... cause he went out happy and doing what he wanted.

I believe in the gear and for those who choose to wear it good.... not for me thank you very much.

I have confidence in my skills as a driver, I know the sport has risks, I accept them! I don't wish others to do as I do... and I don' want others to wish I would do as they do.....

Freedom is different for those whom have fought to preserve it!
bbally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
chiefsnell
It is what it is

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
As a active duty soldier we are required to wear the following PPE; DOT/Snell helmet with shield or protective glasses; full finger gloves; long pants and long shirt; over the ankle shoes. I must say riding in the hot AZ weather is brutal with above mentioned gear but as a soldier I follow orders. Better safe than sorry! Only my opinion
chiefsnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
VRODGrrrl
Registered Full

I stopped using my full face helmet in the hot weather, I put it on for a cold ride the other day and really enjoyed the protection from not only the wind but the sound and I could sing to my mp3 without my lips flapping like something you see the astronauts do in testing... Been wearing it again... but when it gets too hot... I go back to open face because I am more afraid of overheating at that point.
VRODGrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
jon1zc
Life is great!

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I always use my gear (Textile jacket w/armor, Kevlar Jeans, Full Face and gloves) no matter what the temps. I had a slow speed accident a year and half ago and wearing the above gear made me a firm believer (would have been worse, had a 6x4 patch of road rash across my face shield, but no damage to the noggin)..

Enjoy it while you can.. If you are not, then do something about it!

too many mods to list on my 02A
jon1zc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement