Street Rod Steering Stabilizer ? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Sreetrod Joe
Streetrod Joe

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Street Rod Steering Stabilizer ?

Has anybody come up with a steering stabilizer set up for the R ? LateR
Sreetrod Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
ragingBULL
Kiss the Ring

I don't see why you would want to do that, even with a reduced rake angle for the R, this bike is not subject to tank slapping.. Never heard of it anyways.

Is that for drag racing? In that case I don't know the first thing about it

RIDE IT LIKE YOU RENTED IT
V-Rod Impostor - Sold 05/2011
BMW K1200RS 2002
ragingBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
Sreetrod Joe
Streetrod Joe

Your'e right, was getting a high speed wobble, but just went to a cartrige set up in forks. Havn't been over a 100mph but feels rock solid. Forks have a lot to do with that wobble. Never been over 120 always had to back off , every little bit helps when you start hitting high speeds though. I know you can get a set up for the standard VRod but not for the inverted forks. LateR
Old 03-31-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
iBike
Registered Full

Every once in a while, while slowing (engine braking) through 30 MPH, there will be a very mild wobble, but it's really only noticeable if I have taken my hands off the grips (I KNOW).

My mid-80s Moto Morini 500 Sport did need the stabilizer, as, I hear, do the older 750 and 900 Ducati Monsters. My M1000S has never given me any reason to consider one, and neither has my 'R.

Save your money for something more useful on the bike, booze, or women.
iBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
mo_longride
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreetrod Joe View Post
Your'e right, was getting a high speed wobble, but just went to a cartrige set up in forks. Havn't been over a 100mph but feels rock solid. Forks have a lot to do with that wobble. Never been over 120 always had to back off , every little bit helps when you start hitting high speeds though. I know you can get a set up for the standard VRod but not for the inverted forks. LateR
If you are getting a wobble with an 'R', then something on your bike isn't set up right. Loose steering head, bad tire or tires, loose swingarm, or bad cartridge setup could all be causes, because this bike couldn't speed wobble if it tried when set up correctly. The geometry wouldn't let it. I would check all those things for sure, because something is out of adjustment if you are getting speed wobbles.
mo_longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
mikeinatlanta
relaxed and happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_longride View Post
If you are getting a wobble with an 'R', then something on your bike isn't set up right. Loose steering head, bad tire or tires, loose swingarm, or bad cartridge setup could all be causes, because this bike couldn't speed wobble if it tried when set up correctly. The geometry wouldn't let it. I would check all those things for sure, because something is out of adjustment if you are getting speed wobbles.
Agree. This bike needs a damper less than any bike I have owned.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
streetrodder06
Thread Killer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I have pegged mine right at 138 mph, and it was rock solid at that speed. Agree with the others, somehing is a bit out of adjustment. ...

Michael
2012 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC: 167hp

2007 & 2012 KC Rally "stock" 1130cc Dyno Shootout Champ

Proud member of the 07 4am club!!
streetrodder06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am betting loose head bearings, aggravated by a worn and/or under inflated front tire. With steering head bearings in good condition and properly pre-loaded and serviceable front rubber, an R should be dead stable right up to red line in the big hole. If it is not, you have a mechanical proble.
A steering stabilizer is only needed when the bike has so little trail you can get into situations where the bike runs out of enough trail (compressed front end during braking on a race track for example, or high speed cornering that compresses the fork) to keep the front end from wobbling, especially on short wheelbase bikes like sport bikes. Trail slows a bikes steering down, so most modern sport bikes use the bare minimum. Smaller front wheels also reduce trail. The R has enough trail and wheelbase plus a gynormous 19 inch front hoop to make this a non problem.
One of my R's runs an 18 inch front wheel and is raised in the rear, both reducing rake and trail. If an R should wobble, mine should, but it does not. It just f-in rails! These bikes were originally speced for a 17 inch front wheel according to the platform manager (Willy G. had a different idea), so there is ample trail stock.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:19 AM   #9
OLD FXR
Registered Full

The R needs a steering damper about as much as the U.S.S. Forrestal does.
OLD FXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Sreetrod Joe
Streetrod Joe

You guys are right. If you can see on my avatar I'm running a sport fairing and luggage. The fairing definitely affects the handling at high speeds , along with weak forks, worn tires etc. Had that front end clunk when you hit a bump, but since fork and brake upgrade haven't know-est. Ask HD shop to check steering bearings when they pulled forks, but I doubt if they did. Didn't learn about that Steering nut service bulletin till after from you guys. If there's a future problem, that's the culprit.
Keep it safe LateR
Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
You guys are right. If you can see on my avatar I'm running a sport fairing and luggage. The fairing definitely affects the handling at high speeds , along with weak forks, worn tires etc. Had that front end clunk when you hit a bump, but since fork and brake upgrade haven't know-est. Ask HD shop to check steering bearings when they pulled forks, but I doubt if they did. Didn't learn about that Steering nut service bulletin till after from you guys. If there's a future problem, that's the culprit.
Keep it safe LateR
Mine is set up about the same as yours, Joe. I even finagled hard luggage on it, and boy are the brackets heavy. Still, if the steering head bearings are in good condition and you have decent rubber on it, there should be no instability. However, I vividly recall how loosy-goosey the bike was when the head bearings were loose.
I think you will be money ahead to inspect and adjust/repair as necessary your steering head bearings.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #12
iBike
Registered Full

Quote:
You guys are right. If you can see on my avatar I'm running a sport fairing and luggage. ...
Mine's got a Memphis Shades, and what looks like the same luggage (sport bags with VRSCR on them). As I said, nothing except a very slight hands-off wobble slowing through 40. I seriously doubt it's the fairing or bags.

Here's a small clip from CO 145 to let you compare the fairing and bags (rain covers on):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VRSCR-CO145-small.png
Views:	47
Size:	676.5 KB
ID:	165115  
iBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
Frank A
Registered Full

Just started logging some mile on my 06 R, switched from an 06 B. The Steering seems to tuck in when making some slower tight turns (hahah ride faster) but really this seems kinda odd , any feedback ?
Frank A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
cap44
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Just started logging some mile on my 06 R, switched from an 06 B. The Steering seems to tuck in when making some slower tight turns (hahah ride faster) but really this seems kinda odd , any feedback ?
Same thing here. The bike is perfectly stable at high speed but at low speed (parking lot manuevers) it just wants to fall in on me. Never experience this on any bike I have owned and it is disconcerting!!!
cap44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Outlander
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap44 View Post
Same thing here. The bike is perfectly stable at high speed but at low speed (parking lot manuevers) it just wants to fall in on me. Never experience this on any bike I have owned and it is disconcerting!!!
The previous version of the Triumph Thunderbird feels like that, too. I think its due to carrying more weight up high and the steering geometry.

Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement